Mom pouch?

Options
Hi everyone!

Here's my story: I had my baby 8.5 months ago. I gained A LOT of weight while pregnant (I'm talking 60ish pounds). I just recently, about a month ago, started exercising and eating healthy. I can SEE and FEEL a difference in my body and also, my exercises.

The problem that I'm having is my mom pouch. You know, that hanging over your pants belly that kind of feels like playdoh? Yeah, that thing. It's not tightening or shrinking AT ALL. Not even a little.

Are they any exercises that I can do that will help target this area?

Right now, I'm mainly doing cardio (elliptical, treadmill) with some squats and bicep curls for my strength training.

Thanks!!

Replies

• littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 390 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Try diastasis recti exercises it is supposed to help mom belly. It has been working for me (2kids)
    Also at the gym hit up the crunch machine and do body ab workouts 2 to 3 times a week with rest in between. It works.

But for the saggy skin you have to keep doing cardio and weight training to tighten and tone ur body. Theres no way to target your tummy alone.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I also gained about 60 lbs when pregnant. I am down 25 lbs from my right-after-giving-birth weight (that was 2 years ago lmao) and I think I look fine now but still have the pouch. I think it’s more of a woman thing than a mom thing. Most women have that. As far as getting rid of it or reducing it just keep on going. It’ll shrink as you lose weight, there is no way to target it specifically. Strength training will help build the muscles underneath so it can look nicer when you’ve lost some more fat.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

^ Second

You really should look into a full body strength routine. Just Biceps and squats you are missing a lot of muscle groups.

• rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing that there was a specific exercise that showed good results, specifically helping women post-pregnancy. Something to do with the abs separating during pregnancy and having trouble coming back together. It wasn't just regular ab work or working out that helped it either, so maybe that's what you're describing.

Ah, Google has my answer. It was from a story NPR did. Might be worth looking into to see if it helps you! https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/07/541204499/flattening-the-mummy-tummy-with-1-exercise-10-minutes-a-day
  • rasenac
    rasenac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi There - I have been following a FB page called Facia Blaster, Ashley Black. I've watched the before and afters and some ladies seem to have amazing results. But, I have no personal experience. I've had two babies myself and had lost over 70 pounds and was haunted by "the apron" of my tummy. I opted for a tummy tuck and have no regrets! I would have NEVER been able to exercise that beast away!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Meh, I gained a lot of weight with my pregnancies and have lost it and more. My stomach is flat but there's a little bit of loose skin that isn't going anywhere, but only really noticeable if I've got my tummy facing the ground! I have done exactly 0 ab exercises, it's all just down to weight loss.
    I figure I can't turn back time. My boobs aren't going back to prebaby shape, and neither is the rest of me, but I'm happy to try to be the best version of me now.

It's only been a month. Compared to 9 months of pregnancy and 7.5 months of post pregnancy before you started exercising, you need to give your body more time to get to where you want. You'll do fine, just keep at it and don't expect overnight results.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what the issue is. If it's excess belly fat, see the link posted above. If it's diastasis recti (looking 3 or 4 months pregnant all the time because of abdominal separation, this usually starts above the belly button for a lot of women similar to where the top of the uterus would be at that stage of pregnancy) it can be somewhat improved through certain exercises but it ultimately has to be corrected with surgery for severe cases. If it's excess skin below the belly button, it largely depends on how much stretching went on during the pregnancy and how much collagen was lost. Sometimes it can bounce back and sometimes it can't. Once the collagen is gone, it doesn't come back and the only thing that corrects sagging skin is surgery. No product on the market or exercise can increase collagen at the molecular level.

I've had 5 kids, so I know that no matter what I will have excess skin unless I surgically remedy it. It doesn't matter how much fat I lose because that extra skin isn't going anywhere. I'm cool with it, because my health is what's most important to me and good shapewear goes a long way.
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I lost my pooch with my first relatively quickly. My second was a C-section, however, and even after 9+ years and lots of trying, I can't get rid of it. Ab work, focus on eating right, and cardio help (some of it is/was just stubborn belly fat) but I have also come to embrace it as who I am. It's not ginormous, and with the right bottom, I am able to keep it under wraps in a two-piece, so I don't complain too much. I will still work on it, but I won't beat myself up over it.
  • jennajosephine
    jennajosephine Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback!