Question for Runners....(Warning...Deals with Bodily Waste)

Options
Ok, as awkward as this is I know I'm not the only one.. I am up to 25 minute runs... For me that's a good run.. Here's the deal....every time I run, at the end of the run I have to have a bowel movement SO bad.. I'm sure it has something to do with the valsalva maneuver, etc...But.....what to do about it.. I try going before my run, but I don't need to.. I know I'm a site running back to the house, and am afraid as I increase my runs I"m going to poop my pants before I make it home.. HOW DO I REGULATE THIS!!!!!!

Replies

• mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    I have to poop in the middle of my runs. Plan to be near a place where you can go. BAM.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water, and pace yourself. Sometimes if you push yourself too hard, you can give yourself stomach cramps, leading to the irritable bowel movement. Also, don't eat food with a lot of fiber before your run. Try to eat something with more protein :)
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hahah i've been wondering this for SO long! I don't understand why it happens!
  • sarahrunnergirl
    Options
    I used to get this really bad, especially during speed work! I drink something hot like tea (not caffeinated) about an hour and a half to two hours before to make me go before I start my run, that way I know I'm safe.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    dont feel bad...I know marathon runners literally crap their pants sometimes...it's natural i guess :P
  • sarahrunnergirl
    Options
    I've been told that this happens because when you excersise your stomach gets more blood and it speeds up digestion. Not sure if it's true though.
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh..... So the whole wheat bread, fresh ground peanut butter, and natural apple butter prior to my runs may be giving me the "runs", huh??
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    Me too, but not as bad as your situation, I have about 40 minutes before I have to get to a toilet. I actually break my runs into two separate runs so I can get more running in the day but it's a hassle sometimes to motivate myself to go for the 2nd run.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Try to eat earlier the night before your run. I always wake up two hours before a run, eat high fiber cereal & two cups of coffee to get the system moving. Just FYI - my doctor reccommended i start taking a Probiotic to keep the system healthy. i have been taking it nightly for three months & it sure does help regulate the system. welcome to the world of running...:wink: Amazing what our bodies do...:wink:
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the thread, I have been jogging around my patio and a few minutes later, I have to go inside to use the bathroom, I am glad it isn't just me.

Karen