Dying on the Vine

Options
So, the reason I’m on the “Gaining Weight” section is because I’ve been underweight as long as I can remember. More the issue lately is that I have identified that I, unlike seemingly everyone else, stop eating while under stress.

This past weekend, I was consistently under my calorie goal by 1,000 calories or more.

Dealing with my stress is the obvious solution, but what does everyone recommend for calorie-rich foods when you just don’t want to eat?

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You aren't unusual, many people stop eating when under stress while others eat more, it's just the way you have learned to cope I guess. Obviously, the best thing to do is deal with the underlying stress but you might want to try comfort foods, which is what those who tend to overeat under stress often gravitate to.

What foods make you feel better when you eat? Try those first because it's less likely to feel like you are forcing yourself to eat, which likely won't work well. I would recommend that you try to eat foods that are both calorically and nutritionally dense since you want to maintain proper nutrition first and foremost. So fatty meat dishes, whole wheat pastas and vegetables sautéed in oil should help do both nicely.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm like that too. imo, there's more reasons for eating than just calories, so i don't focus only on that. i try to eat food that is generally valuable, which widens the scope a whole lot. if anything, i concentrate on protein more.

also, i make creme brulee :) with milk since i don't think i'm in serious danger of wasting way, but at least it's protein and calcium and a few of the big vitamins.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I've been under much more stress recently and barely hit 1000 calories some days. I do my best. I reach for protein bars, toast with PB and oatmeal when I'm too burnt to think of cooking.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    doubleap77 wrote: »
    So, the reason I’m on the “Gaining Weight” section is because I’ve been underweight as long as I can remember. More the issue lately is that I have identified that I, unlike seemingly everyone else, stop eating while under stress.

This past weekend, I was consistently under my calorie goal by 1,000 calories or more.

Dealing with my stress is the obvious solution, but what does everyone recommend for calorie-rich foods when you just don’t want to eat?

You have to eat the required calories everyday, rain or shine. No magic formulas.

Eat frequent, smaller meals throughout the day to spread your calories out as much as possible. Eat every 2 hours or so. Eat these meals right up to bedtime. It's not pleasant to eat when you are not hungry but you have to do it to gain weight.

You have to want the end result bad enough. How bad do you want it?

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When I have spells like that, soup is good (especially something like cream of potato or a broccoli puree). Milkshakes, banana shakes, avocado, applesauce. Maybe pasta or mac and cheese or meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Beef stroganoff, skillet lasagna, American chop suey/macaroni saute, scalloped potatoes, or a casserole of some sort. Pudding. Grilled cheese, canned fruit, hot chocolate.

I'm a vegetarian, and soup is my go-to. It doesn't take much chewing, and it's warm and comforting.

• doubleap77
    doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    +1 for the cream-based soups. Easy going down.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In addition to everyone else I suggest you keep a hikers energy bar on you at all times for nibbling, drink milk and fancy Starbucks for fluid, and keep nuts and hikers mix around.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Like Lean59man said - you do what you have to do if you want it bad enough. I don't think I *wanted* to eat after my second week bulking. I approached eating like a job and at times a very unpleasant job. I bulked for a YEAR and until I started my cut last month forgot what it actually felt like to be hungry. lol
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    When I have spells like that, soup is good (especially something like cream of potato or a broccoli puree). Milkshakes, banana shakes, avocado, applesauce. Maybe pasta or mac and cheese or meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Beef stroganoff, skillet lasagna, American chop suey/macaroni saute, scalloped potatoes, or a casserole of some sort. Pudding. Grilled cheese, canned fruit, hot chocolate.

I'm a vegetarian, and soup is my go-to. It doesn't take much chewing, and it's warm and comforting.

I think someone may have misinformed you as to what goes into a beef stroganoff :D
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    paulbrttn wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

I think someone may have misinformed you as to what goes into a beef stroganoff :D

I don't believe that's what she eats - rather, it was a suggestion for OP.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ah but of course, why didn't that occur to me....

In all seriousness to the OP's post though, here is a link that lists a number of calorie dense foods:
    https://healthaliciousness.com/articles/highest-calorie-foods.php

It might also help if you let people know what you have been eating so that they can give some more calorie dense alternatives that fit with what you have been able to eat, eg swapping chicken thighs for chicken breast, instead of possibly suggesting foods that you may not like, don't fit with dietary requirements or you do not have easy access to.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good one.
    Keep a spoon and the jar next to you. Eat a spoonful every hour or so. If you are able to swallow 10 spoonfuls throughout the day, you'll add on around 1000 calories even when you don't feel like eating much.
    It sounds gross but it really does help with getting adequate calories when you don't feel like swallowing lots of food. Plus it's a decent source of fats and protein.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    +1 on the creme brulee. Heavy cream packs some calories there.
    Tasty calorie-dense stuff (like a food bar or a candy bar) dipped in peanut butter.
    Chocolate.
    Cream/sour cream/cheese on anything that will conceivably take cream/sour cream/cheese on top.
    Butter on all the things.

(hopefully, those initial 1000 calories took care of most of the micronutrient, protein requirements)..
    if not, perhaps some shrimp (low calories, but packs a lot of protein and is a tempting food item and not terribly filling for many people).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    adding to the list above: cookie dough (I could make a serious dent in a tube of cookie dough if I didn't know how many calories were in each little spoonful).
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Shakey shake shakes. Lol seriously I made a shake today that was something like 700 calories and I just drank it alongside lunch.

Also on days where I didn't eat as much as I should, I'll go into the bodega and get the snack that is cheapest with the most calories. Go-to is iced honey buns. 50¢ for one and 470 calories (:
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just Google homemade weight gain shakes recipe. You'll find a lot. I don't usually have yogurt on hand so I'll replace it with ice cream (I've found that in a lot of recipes). You can replace or add whatever your want. Use those recipes as guidelines
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like trail mix. I used to also get those Starbucks double shot energy drinks in the can. They have around 200 calories and 12g protein, I think.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I like trail mix. I used to also get those Starbucks double shot energy drinks in the can. They have around 200 calories and 12g protein, I think.

Trail mix is under-appreciated as a bulking food (as are nuts in general). It's extremely calorie dense and not that filling (at least to me), so it's an easy way to get some serious calories in. Another one is dried fruits - I love dried mango and it's pretty calorie dense and easy to eat plenty of.

I've seen peanut butter mentioned a couple times and it's one of my favorites when I have the calorie room for it. Two tablespoons is close to 200 calories, and that's not a lot of peanut butter at all.
  • doubleap77
    doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Peanut butter is good one.
    Keep a spoon and the jar next to you. Eat a spoonful every hour or so. If you are able to swallow 10 spoonfuls throughout the day, you'll add on around 1000 calories even when you don't feel like eating much.
    It sounds gross but it really does help with getting adequate calories when you don't feel like swallowing lots of food. Plus it's a decent source of fats and protein.

I’ve had a jar of peanut butter at my desk since I started. Maybe I should actually open it.

And shakes! Those are excellent suggestions. It is easier to drink a meal than eat a meal when I’m down.

Thanks for all the suggestions. A new week and a new chance to get back on the wagon.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Trail mix is under-appreciated as a bulking food (as are nuts in general). It's extremely calorie dense and not that filling (at least to me), so it's an easy way to get some serious calories in. Another one is dried fruits - I love dried mango and it's pretty calorie dense and easy to eat plenty of.

I've seen peanut butter mentioned a couple times and it's one of my favorites when I have the calorie room for it. Two tablespoons is close to 200 calories, and that's not a lot of peanut butter at all.

Well it's really weird- granola/trail mix is touted as "health" food- and you just have to be SO careful with it because it's calorie dense. That's the entire point of it- it was designed to be a light- long keeping efficient calorie dense snack for active people (hikers)- like- why does that make it a health food.

oh wait.....

it doesn't.

But yes- you're right- it's extremely efficient for bonus calories!