Exercise as stress management

Options
13»

Replies

• BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Absolutely stress-management for me. If I am having a bad day..I can get out my frustrations as I lift. It’s the one part of my day that is just for me..and it is necessary for my mental health and overall well-being.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yes! Heavy deadlifts and running make me feel so much better. In high school, my parents would send me to the gym if they thought I was getting too anxious or worked up. The habit has stuck for the past 8 years.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Yoga and interval training during the week, walk breaks during the work day, more yoga and weights on the weekend.

It helps me survive.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Lifting is like....my life. It makes me happy. But I'm very anal about programming so sometimes it is stressful.

Soo...I didn't really answer that well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Big time stress reliever for me. I love lifting and running, and I feel like a kid again when I ride my mountain bike. It's my "me" time and even when I'm having a bad workout or my run feels like I'm slogging uphill through mud, I enjoy every minute of it and feel even better afterward.
  • DohnutHead
    DohnutHead Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It does relax me especially anything that I do outdoors. It's a big part of my week, I'm sorry I didn't discover it sooner.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights especially the heavier side of things is a brilliant way for me to de stress. Some of my best pb’s were after a really bad day at work. I go to the gym before work. My workmates can tell by how stressed I get throughout the day if I’ve been or not lol.
    I take my anger out on the weights but I also use them to make me feel strong and invigorated. My shrink now uses me as an example of why her patients should exercise.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It is. I work out in the evening to be able to fall asleep right after and not keep thinking about everything staring at the ceiling. Endorphins make me happier and it's easier to put stressful things in perspective. Releasing negative energy is great too. Stress management is not the nr 1 reason for exercise for me, but it definitely helps.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Throwing things around in the gym definately helps with my stress. When I am low and anxious one of my triggers can be going into the gym, so it's hard getting the balance but I nearly always feel better for going. I have got quite emotional sometimes while working out - I need a environment where I can feel safe to do that, not judged and I have that at the moment. People might think I'm a bit weird but the trainers understand. I also have a running buddy and we try and run twice a week, we talk about nothing special but it gives me a space when I'm not thinking about the kids, work etc. I love to walk and bike in the sunshine and I try and make time when I can, even if it's just and extra 10 minute walk round the lake after school drop off.
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. Yes. I didn't really discover the extent of how true this could be until I started figure skating six years ago. Skating is difficult and interesting enough that when I'm skating I think about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE the entire time I'm doing it. So it is like wiping the slate clean and starting my whole day over. I do not have this experience with anything else really and it has become such a crucial part of my mental health routine that when our ice arena shut down for four months last summer for major renovations it was terribly hard on me. I've tried cycling and aerobics and running and nothing works for me like skating. I'm not even very good at skating - I do it because of the magic it works in my brain. I urge everyone to find the sport that makes that magic for them and build your routine around it. It could be skiing, surfing, curling, squash. I was never an athlete before and now at 41 I'm the strongest and most flexible I've ever been - and the happiest.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    100%, for me. Exercise does wonders for my mental health, not only because of the actual physiological effects of working out and being outdoors, but also because of the increase in self-esteem and self-confidence that I feel when I am the best version of myself.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Found this one back again.
    Last week was a big freeze week where the wind chill took us down to -20C Too cold for me to cycle to work and most certainly too cold to run (in the evenings it dropped even further) I had a stressful week. This morning I was moody as and talked some of the issues over with my husband which helped. But really I need stress relief!
    All of a sudden today the weather was beyond nice. The wind had shifted and spring decided to put it's best foot forward. My husband and I decided it was running time and we both went. It was soo utterly nice and good to be in the sunshine, to see all city nature running out of their hiding places and to run.
    By the time I had gotten to 3km I could feel tensions reducing, by 5km I just felt happy and free. I ran 7 km and I am in a great mood, plus all of a sudden I see a way forward out of the work issues.
    Exercise a stress reliever.You bet ya!
  • LizPalen412
    LizPalen412 Posts: 38 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Walking outside in nature helps me tremendously. It helped me get off anti anxiety medicine and I actually feel much better just doing my walking than I ever did on the medication.

Edited to fix a typo :)
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hiking is a major stress reliever for me. I had a bad fall last year on an easy trail and it took months to recover. I am so ready to get back to it. I gained a little and my strength is down but I have a goal to do at least a small easy trail (2 or 3 miles) before end of month. I do other stuff too (light lifting) but hiking is what really works for me both physically and emotionally.
  • phoebe1975
    phoebe1975 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes! Absolutely- my oldest son believes climbing played a large role in treating his anxiety...which sounds crazy because it seems like such a stressful activity to me. He also free solo climbs sometimes, so maybe he just likes the adrenaline rush lol- I tell him he is just transferring his stress to me when he free climbs lol
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Cardio really helps me destress!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Unfortunately my gym is full during the academic year due to a uni in town so exercise is stressful for me because of the environment I perform it in. Also due to 2 long term health issues I have to be constantly vigilant during exercise and I'm feeling usually unwell and in pain after exercise.
    All in all not a pleasant experience. If only I liked my body the way it is... but alas I want a fit body.

Couldn't you switch it up? Maybe give the gym a break and walk outside or exercise at home? Sorry you find it so stressful!

Thank you.
    I would've if I could. That's the only big gym in town. I've only seen one other which had 5-6 machines, no floor space and was in a low cieling basement with no windows and no shower. No kidding.

Walking won't make my bum hard. I do walk but just to burn calories to eat more.

I've settled up with it. The pain is another issue though. I wasn't complaining really, just sharing my experience on the topic.

After I moved, I wasn't happy with any of the gyms at my new town and have been doing this at home: https://www.amazon.com/RBG-Workout-How-Stays-Strong-ebook/dp/B0714M94MN/ref=sr_1_1

The amount of space and equipment needed for doing this at home is quite minimal. It recommends exercise bands, a yoga ball, and a door stopper. I already had one band and my neighbor gave me a longer one (needed 6' for some of the exercises), and I use a chair and my feet instead of the ball and stopper. I also already had some dumbbells and DIY dumbbells.

I feel challenged by this workout, and am quite impressed with octogenarian RBG for doing it twice per week, and being able to do two sets of 10 standard pushups, which is a lot more than I can do. (The book includes easier alternatives.)
  • thelettermegan
    thelettermegan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do a very social crossfit-like boot camp twice a week. I love the way my body feels after a workout and a good breakfast. I'm alert and yet relaxed. It's very zen. I think it's easier for me to do the traditional calisthenics and get my heart pumping than straight cardio, and doing it with a group of inclusive people is very encouraging.

As for my mental state, I think there was a time when Keith on Tuesday mornings was basically getting me through the week . . .
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    100%. Outdoor exercise like hill walking and hiking is my primary stress reducer. I call it rage hiking... I'm in it for the endorphins.