Weight has not changed, but I feel bigger and scale has not

Options
I've lost 50ish lbs through diet and exercise 6 days a week. The last month, I admit I have slacked on my working out and have been only getting to it once or twice a week.

You know how they say you shouldn't be upset if your scale doesn't show a loss, because you could still be getting smaller but exchanging fat for muscle? Well, I think that logic is at work with me, and not in my favor. I feel very bloated and like my pants are tighter, and my arms look more chunky. Can my muscle I gained be turning BACK INTO fat? Causing me to get bigger, even though my scale is not moving either way??

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It could very possibly be water retention. Muscle can not be turned back into fat once its turned into muscle. However, you could either be gaining extra fat, or it's water. Water retention doesn't show a weight gain, but it definitely makes you feel bloated and look bigger. Try taking a water pill to see if it helps :)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Water retention doesn't show a weight gain????? So you're saying water doesn't weigh anything then. Wow.

First off: Fat doesn't turn into muscle or vice versa. You lose fat, and build muscle, or you lose muscle and gain fat.
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    FAT IS NEVER TURNED IN TO MUSCLE. When you stop working out you will lose muscle mass and gain fat. BAM.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Let me try to re-word my question:

Can your body get bigger but stay the same WEIGHT due to your composition and fat/muscle ratio reverting back if you exercise less often than you had been?
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    yes. water, fat and muscle are not the same density.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Well I hope my post will help someone head off the damage at the pass... I've been slacking away thinking everything is fine because I'm maintaining my weigh - so what, right? I just noticed this past week the difference in how my pants fit - that they seem to be feeling tighter.

Moral of the story: Maintaining your weight on the scale is a little more complicated than you think, so keep taking those measurements. If you are INCREASING in inches even though the scale says you are maintaining your weight, that doesn't mean you are maintaining your size or level of health.