Difficulty of Dining Out

I went out to Fridays with the family and the SODIUM was ridiculous! I tried to pick the lowest calorie options that would still make me feel satisfied, but the Dragonfire Chicken at 580 calories has 2000mg of sodium! Whats a person to do when you go out to eat to feel satisfied but not to break the bank!?

Replies

• k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    What I do: 1. Order what ever the heck I want. 2. Ask for a to go box to be served with my meal. 3. Put 1/2 to 2/3 of the meal in the to go box immediatley. 3. enjoy my meal.

This way I do not feel like I have to deprive my self of anything. I get what I want. And, I have food the next day.
  • lozf85
    lozf85 Posts: 62 Member
    What I do: 1. Order what ever the heck I want. 2. Ask for a to go box to be served with my meal. 3. Put 1/2 to 2/3 of the meal in the to go box immediatley. 3. enjoy my meal.

This way I do not feel like I have to deprive my self of anything. I get what I want. And, I have food the next day.

Probably THE best eat out solution Ive ever heard!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    All you can do is make the best calorie choice and drink water like a fish to flush the sodium out!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    How about trying a different restaurant with some healthier options?
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    I try to pre-plan my meal before we dine out. I only go to restaurants that have their nutrition facts listed, which it's still just an estimation, then chose the meal that has the best options for calories, sodium and sugar. Then, I only close to half of my meal. Sometimes, I will share a platter with my husband to keep me from eating too much; he usually eats 3/4 and I eat 1/4 because the portions are so large now!
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    I also put half of my meal in a box before i start to eat. the best trick i ever heard! Or i really make it a point to order from the 500 cal menu.

or as a after dinner solution try going for a walk with a friend for about a half hour and burn off some of those cals!
  • We eat out weekly and I have not found any option at any place we have eatin that does not have HIGH sodium. I just choose what I think is the best calorie option. I generally only eat 1/2 and take the rest home with me. You will not find anything that is low in sodium.
  • What I do: 1. Order what ever the heck I want. 2. Ask for a to go box to be served with my meal. 3. Put 1/2 to 2/3 of the meal in the to go box immediatley. 3. enjoy my meal.

Excellent idea!
    I usually advise that clients just don't eat out. Eating at home is cheaper and YOU control all the ingredients and cooking methods; invite friends and family over to your place and prepare them a healthy, home-cooked meal!
  • All you can do is make the best calorie choice and drink water like a fish to flush the sodium out!

Unfortunately, sodium metabolism is not so simplistic. It involves things like baroreceptors,angiotensin,vasopressin,aldosterone, dopamine levels, maintaining blood pressure and volume, level of hydration and more.
    I'm not well versed in this subject to be able to tell you much more than that unfortunately; talking to a biochemist would be helpful if we wanted to know the steps better. BUT, the body readily excretes sodium in high amounts during extreme sweating. A combination of increased water intake and VIGOROUS exercise would help a person rid themselves of a good amount.