C25k day 1... nearly killed me!

Options
Omg just done c25k day 1 on my treadmill and omg I don't know how I persevered but I managed to get to through the 30 minutes sweating like a dog by the end. I am so unfit!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    haha. Well done.

It gets easier. Don't feel bad if you have to repeat weeks. I know I did. :)
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Didn't post all
    Doing c25k on treadmill. Since start of new year been walking at 5 to 5.8kph for an hour each day on treadmill. So for c25k I kept that as walking speed with jogging speed at 7 kph.
    I am embarrassingly unfit. Is it going to get easier? Am I starting too fast too early? Although on paper it doesn't seem very fast however it was so taxing for me to get to the end!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    No, it's tough at first.

It will get easier. Keep going!
  • Enthusiast84
    Options
    No, it's tough at first.

It will get easier. Keep going!

Did you get to the end of the whole programme?
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yeah man, I can so relate. Coming from a place of ridiculously unfit, it's super hard. There is a pre-c25k program I found helpful. It's essentially a couple of weeks that start at 15 then 30 second intervals before the 1 minute.

Today is the last day of my second consecutive time through week 1 if C25k, and I might do it a third week depending on how tonight goes. (Its also my second time through the program as a whole.)

Don't push too hard! This is a restart for me after a partial tear to my patella tendon - a result of trying to push too much too soon and bad form.

People are right about not worrying about speed, but going overly slow can cause an unnatural gait - which contributed to my injury.

I was walking at 3.5-4.0 mph for 45-60 minutes for months before this and, honestly, that's probably better for me. I just want to be able to run, like really badly. Do keep in mind that long, brisk walks can be just as beneficial as a short, slow jog.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Back with another option:

If running is too hard now, do you think you can put this off for a while if you're not in a hurry? If you've outgrown your walking (walking is no longer challenging) you can do incline walking. I've been running for over a year and a good incline walk can wipe me out more than a run.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting! Keep with it, it gets better. Maybe not easier but better.

Going from a 5.8K/hr walk to a 7K/hr run is a big jump. Keep the running pace slower. You should feel a burn but not be overly panting. Try to keep it where you can speak short sentences outloud without panting through it.

How are your shoes? A good pair of shoes will help your legs feel better, too.

I finished C25K about 5 years ago and am still running. I'm still slow and a 5-8K runner. I can run and enjoy it, thanks in part to C25K and to the many running friends I met here.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions and insight into your experiences. I think I am going too fast too soon. Yes walking is no longer challenging. I think I will try the incline thing too.

Thank goodness I'm not alone. Let's see how I go tomorrow.

I just completed the program Mon. It is very rewarding once done!

Please do not go tomorrow if you went today. You are supposed to have a rest day in between to recover. I would hate to see you get hurt. Best of luck to you.
  • Enthusiast84
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions and insight into your experiences. I think I am going too fast too soon. Yes walking is no longer challenging. I think I will try the incline thing too.

Thank goodness I'm not alone. Let's see how I go tomorrow.

I just completed the program Mon. It is very rewarding once done!

Please do not go tomorrow if you went today. You are supposed to have a rest day in between to recover. I would hate to see you get hurt. Best of luck to you.

But I will be going on my treadmill anyway to walk so I may aswell to c25k. Plus I want to put into action all the good advice. I have good running shoes. I'm definitely going to slow the running down. Thanks again everyone. Feeling more positive about the challenge... and excited.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Didn't post all
    Doing c25k on treadmill. Since start of new year been walking at 5 to 5.8kph for an hour each day on treadmill. So for c25k I kept that as walking speed with jogging speed at 7 kph.
    I am embarrassingly unfit. Is it going to get easier? Am I starting too fast too early? Although on paper it doesn't seem very fast however it was so taxing for me to get to the end!!

One of the best pieces of advice I received about running is that "if you feel you're going slow, then you're still going to fast". There are no prizes by starting fast, other than shin splints, ITB issues and other leg problems.

Start slow. If you cannot maintain a conversation whilst running, you're still going to fast. Also, on the treadmill, make sure you have your incline on 1% to replicate outdoor conditions. Start jogging at 6-6.5kph with your walks at 4.5kph. Trust me, your speed will increase.

I'm restarting C25k (again) and I know I'll be repeating week 1 again. Why? Because I want to make sure I can get through week 1 without feeling broken :-) If you have to repeat weeks, then do so. Again, start slow, do a good warm up (I do 10mins), ensure your running and breathing techniques are all good, have rest days in between each scheduled running day, and enjoy your running! Before you know it, you'll be increasing your speed.

Good luck :-)
  • Enthusiast84
    Options
    Didn't post all

One of the best pieces of advice I received about running is that "if you feel you're going slow, then you're still going to fast". There are no prizes by starting fast, other than shin splints, ITB issues and other leg problems.

Start slow. If you cannot maintain a conversation whilst running, you're still going to fast. Also, on the treadmill, make sure you have your incline on 1% to replicate outdoor conditions. Start jogging at 6-6.5kph with your walks at 4.5kph. Trust me, your speed will increase.

I'm restarting C25k (again) and I know I'll be repeating week 1 again. Why? Because I want to make sure I can get through week 1 without feeling broken :-) If you have to repeat weeks, then do so. Again, start slow, do a good warm up (I do 10mins), ensure your running and breathing techniques are all good, have rest days in between each scheduled running day, and enjoy your running! Before you know it, you'll be increasing your speed.

Good luck :-)

Thank you. This is really helpful. Feeling really motivated and inspired.