Why go premium ?

Just curious what makes going premium worth it.

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Only if you are looking to be very detailed with your macros. You still see mfp generated ads for their blog.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I didn't care about premium until I wanted to get more specific with my calorie and macro goals. Not having ads is a nice side effect.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Not having ads is nice, more control over goals and what I track is nice too.
  • I'm on the free trial period and quite like it without the ads and with the extra functionality to change daily calorie goals to fit a fasting diet which is what I'm doing 5:2 so nothing drastic bit it's really helping with that.

Think I will probably stump up the £40 and keep it for the year. I like it.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Thank you to all that gave me pleasant informative answers = ) I appreciate it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I'd go premium if they made the recipe building feature better...able to organize recipes (like a cookbook) and keep instructions. But it doesn't seem to be a feature of premium, so I pass.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited January 2018
    I like being able to customize my meals over the day. I changed mine to Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks, Dinner, and Late Night (Or does basic allow you to do this? I don't remember). I also set calorie goals for each, which helps me when I pre-log. And I changed my total calories goals for the days of the week to 1850 on Fridays, and 1450 all other days. It's worth the money to me.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I like being able to customize my meals over the day. I changed mine to Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks, Dinner, and Late Night (Or does basic allow you to do this? I don't remember). I also set calorie goals for each, which helps me when I pre-log. And I changed my total calories goals for the days of the week to 1850 on Fridays, and 1450 all other days. It's worth the money to me.

I believe basic does let you rename your meals and have up to six, but premium lets you set calorie goals by meal, which I like a lot. The main reason I got premium was as incentive to myself to use the app, but I’ve kept it because I believe it’s worth paying for something I’ve gotten and continue to get a great deal of use from.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    They would have to pay me to go premium...
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    I like Premium and I do use some of the options... but MFP is completely usable without it. I’d look at the features and decide if they are worth it to you.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Ha, Ha ... someone else besides myself had gone Premium to foster compliance with logging ... ! :) ... I got the Premium membership as soon as it became available and kept it for 2 years. Then I let it lapse this past September because I wasn't using enough of the additional features to make it worthwhile to spend the money ... and ... during the 2 years I did have it, logging in every day has become such a deep-seated habit that I feel lost when I don't log in and update my logs. MFP is a good tool, if you think you might like to use the features, and you have the option to try it for free for a month ... Do IT ... I mean, try it out and play around to see for yourself.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    10 bucks a month is a bit steep.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    The only and best reason to go premium is to support the developers who create and operate the site. While I am sure they are getting some revenue from the ads, It is a way for the individual to show their appreciation for the work and a tool that has helped you achieve your goals.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited January 2018
    jfan175 wrote: »
    10 bucks a month is a bit steep.

The yearly option is less than half of that ($50/year).

Personally I haven't felt the need for any of the amenities offered, but others find a lot of it helpful (heightened macro settings, calorie cycling).
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Because I like and use the site, and I felt it worth while to support something I like.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Because I like and use the site, and I felt it worth while to support something I like.

Just showing up here supports the site. The ad revenue is based on number of visits/views per page. I can understand not wanting the adds or if you use the extra features.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    jfan175 wrote: »

Just showing up here supports the site. The ad revenue is based on number of visits/views per page. I can understand not wanting the adds or if you use the extra features.

for reference, the normal website ad revenue from google ads is CPM 10$. If the average person log in every single day for 365 days and viewed 20 pages each visit, that would generate 7.30$ for the entire year.

Doing some quick google checks a good estimate for cost is 0.2$ per user per month to host a website with data storage. So a cost of 2.4$

Leaving them with 4.9$ profit per year per user BEFORE development costs.