Furious.

Options
I have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks and have COMPLETELY changed my diet, nothing but whole-grains, fruits and veggies, and the occasional chicken breast.
I only have one pair of jeans, and what spurred this weight loss was that they were barely fitting.
Here I am at 154, smaller even than when I bought them, and they are so tight I can't even wear them.

How does this make sense?! I've worked so hard.
I work out 4 days a week, and do 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. I make sure to rest, drink lots of water and so forth.
So why are my clothes getting smaller?

I'm completely discouraged right now.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It could easily be water retention.

Also, 3 weeks is nothing.

Keep going. In another month you'll see a difference.
  • claragilman
    claragilman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's true. Maybe I'm drinking too much.. haha. I'm trying to be patient with myself, I know I have a long way to go. I just need to stick with it, I suppose.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's true. Maybe I'm drinking too much.. haha. I'm trying to be patient with myself, I know I have a long way to go. I just need to stick with it, I suppose.

Drinking water doesn't cause water retention, but removes it. Are you drinking enough water?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    6 lbs is a great loss but really it can change nothing on your body. I measure in inches because the scale is a B!*(@7 sometimes.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can see it please. Maybe we can help ya.
    How much sodium are you taking in.....drink more water.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Drinking water doesn't cause water retention, but removes it. Are you drinking enough water?

Hmm. Not true in my experience. Water retention is a hormonal thing, it's not related to how much or little you drink.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    6 lbs may not be enough to notice a big change in how your pants are fitting. Do you have a lot to lose? Esp in that case, I would say keep going! You'll get there.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    less carbs, more protein.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    even though the scale was going down, it took awhile for my jeans to feel looser this time. previous weight loss times i was going down a jean size every two weeks, you never know.

i would try higher protein and are you doing any weight/strength training? it can help with fat loss.....
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/water.htm

Here's an interesting read on water. I have always heard that if you don't drink enough you will retain water. Drink more and your body flushes and is less toxic. Don't drink enough and you don't flush your body and that leads to toxic build up and inflamation.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/water.htm

Here's an interesting read on water. I have always heard that if you don't drink enough you will retain water. Drink more and your body flushes and is less toxic. Don't drink enough and you don't flush your body and that leads to toxic build up and inflamation.

So so true! You body tends to hold on to the water that you have when you not drinking enough so you will start to get bloated!
  • OnCmommy
    OnCmommy Posts: 40
    Options
    I've noticed when I don't drink enough I retain water! So try drinking MORE water.
    With it being summer and all (not sure where you're from) you need a lot more water anyway :)
  • claragilman
    Options
    I'm drinking 2 and 1/2 liters a day of water. :) I will definitely open my diary, I hope I doing the right things. haha. I have 30 pounds to lose so on the grand scheme of things, 6 lbs. is nothing. I'm amazed at the response! thanks, you guys! :) Also, I'm doing lots of strength training. At least 5 days a week, it's my favorite part of working out. I may need to up my cardio. We'll see.
  • claragilman
    Options
    Diary is now open!
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    It's great to have short term goals, and I'm sure that everyone here can help you tweak your eating and exercise habits to help you meet them. That's the awesome thing about this community. But equally important, is having a long term goal...better health over all. In the short time I've been here, I've had a fair amount of struggle and the short term results definitely don't match how much work I'm putting into it. But I know that by working hard at changing my eating habits and by exercising regularly, I am making leaps and bounds towards my long term goal, which is to be healthier and live longer. So while it's not completely as satisfying as it would be to go to the closet and put on the smaller clothes I keep holding on to, it does help to know that I now have a better chance at sticking around long enough to fight the battle a while longer.

Don't know if that helps at all, but stay strong...you can do this! Perseverance, passion, purpose...that's how you'll get there!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A quick glance at your diary shows that you are aften way under your daily calorie goal. Now, once in a while isn't a big deal, but consistently eating well under 1200 calories isn't a healthy approach. Do you often skip dinner?

And I'd double check the quantities that you're logging - 0.3g or 0.5oz seems unlikely for a portion of carrots or potatoes.

Well done on your loss so far, good luck!
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged and hang in there. There could be a few explanations, although none of them compare with the frustration you're feeling right now. You may be losing weight in places other that your "jean zone." I always lose weight in my face and chest first. You may be retaining water due to your monthly cycle; you may find in a week or two your net weight loss is even greater than 6 lbs. How is your sodium intake? Salt will cause water retention too. Stay strong, you're not alone.:wink:
  • claragilman
    Options
    Oh, the portion sizes are so small because even if I just nibble something, I log it. :) Like, if I lick the knife while making a PB&J, or eating 2 carrot sticks instead of a real serving size, that sort of thing. I didn't realize I haven't been eating dinner! I make a point to eat something every three hours, but I've been sleeping in a bit and dinner hasn't made it into the equation. I will definitely start eating a light dinner. lol As for the article on water, that was so informative! Thank you!