Stevia as a GOOD sugar replacement???

Options
Ok so I was in the grocery store and saw (Stevia in the raw) on the shelf it seems like a good idea for a sugar replacement but anyone tried it before? any crazy side effects like everything else they say is good replacements???

Replies

• bethy0316
    Options
    We tried it ... and it tasted weird to us. Kind of like a Sweet and Low and Sugar mixed?

I know Splenda is no good, but we had to go back to it.

A lot of people on MFP swear by Stevia ... but I couldn't stand the taste. :sick:
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Stevia has been in use for ages in eastern cultures. It is very very sweet, so it's easy to over do it. I use between 3 and 5 DROPS. (I buy the liquid) It does take some getting used to, especially from sugar and/or fake sugar/sweeteners.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i think it really depends on what your using it for...it cant hurt to try it though
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Pure stevia is good. It's plant based and all natural, but to some may have a slightly metallic taste. I like the taste my sister doesn't. There are no negative side effects.

There are stevia based products like truvia and purvia which have some additives that remove that taste. I haven't heard of any side effects from truvia or purvia, but I don't use them.
  • elgface
    elgface Posts: 35
    Options
    If you have stevia in your country you are LUCKY!
    it has been used in almost everything in japan for over 30 years and it is totaly harmless. it is sweet, and thats about it, it`s about ten times as sweet as sugar (i think) so go for it... the best thing is a liquid or a powder form of it, because it has a sort of "green" taste to it originally.... stevia to the people I say !

it doesnt rais you bloodsugar levels and it is totaly non calorific :D greatest thing ever!:happy:
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I bought some but was not sure if it was just as bad as eating sugar from a health stand point. Is it better in powder or liquid?
  • holden_chick
    Options
    I bought a pack of 40 sachets in the supermarket, I am a one teaspoon kind of sugar girl and the sachets are two teaspoons, blerk, far to sweet for me, and they have a very artifical taste.

I received a free sample of 'Sweete', and it is a really nice non artifical tasting sweetner.
  • shiransom
    shiransom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a natural sweetener, so unlike artificial sweeteners, it is ok for you to consume. I don't like it, because it has a bitter after taste to me. My son likes it, though. It's different for everyone. I prefer agave nectar.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    This months"Bycicling" magazine has an article on sweeteners. This is what they said about Stevia. "ADVERTISED AS a Natural, no-calorie sweetener. COMES FROM the Stevia rebaudiana plant, an herb native to Central and South America. USES In coffee or tea as a tabletop sweetener, and in baked goods, sodas and other foods-sometimes combined with sugar alcahols, such as erythritol, to dilute it's sweetness(it's 200 to 300 times sweeter than sugar but can have a bitter aftertaste) LOWDOWN Aftersome initial concerns about toxicity, a refined preparation method was instituted and designated "generally recognised as safe" by the FDA, which in 2008 approved stevia as a food ingrediant. CONCLUSION If Cutting back on sugar calories is your weight-loss strategy, stevia's no-calorie claim is legitimate."

Splenda is a blend sucralose, dextrose, and maltodextrin, Also, clorine as added during processing, which the FDA classifies as non-toxic.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think Truvia is good which is a stevia blend I think. I like it as much as splenda
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been useing it in all my baking and any time I need to add sugar to the recipe to cut out the sugars and extra calories too!!! I haven't noticed an after taste or anything but everyone reacts differently to things.
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ok so I was in the grocery store and saw (Stevia in the raw) on the shelf it seems like a good idea for a sugar replacement but anyone tried it before? any crazy side effects like everything else they say is good replacements???

Stevia in the raw tasted kind of nasty to me personally I like the brand Truvia. Stevia in the raw had an aftertaste.
  • cjlapier
    cjlapier Posts: 29
    Options
    I like it in my coffee or on my cereal. When I first started using it, I definately noticed an aftertaste. Now I am so used to it, I don't notice it anymore. Will never go back to sugar...
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    The other day on Dr Oz, the question was raised regarding artificial sweetener and sugar..Dr Oz said that sugar is the way to go..

I prefer sugar to anything else..
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    The other day on Dr Oz, the question was raised regarding artificial sweetener and sugar..Dr Oz said that sugar is the way to go..

I prefer sugar to anything else..

Me too, for sure! :smile:
  • Tressa_T
    Tressa_T Posts: 19
    Options
    I like it, zero calories is good to me. Also at super supplements ( i dont know if you have those where you live) and also on amazon, they have flavored liquid drops, in a bunch of flavors from vanilla to chocolate raspberry!
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I only noticed the different taste the first couple of times I used it, now I don't even give it a second thought :)
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thnx for the advice learned alot