Has anybody tried Zhou Thyroid Support?

Options
It’s been nearly 3 years and I can’t get below 150 lbs. I’ve always been heavy. I lost 80 lbs within 6 years.
- I’ve cut a large amount of carbs and grains from my diet as an attempt to hit the 140’s. Nothing.
- Calories range from 1,200 to 1,500.
- I have bowel issues and don’t go frequently. I take fiber supplements per doctor’s recommendations.
- According to my doctor, I don’t have any thyroid issues or diabetes.
- Genetically, all my family is on the heavier side. Both parents. (Except my brother.)

I’m pretty much desperate in trying anything that seems safe.

So ...

Has anybody tried Zhou Thyroid Support? Did you see any benefits or saw it just as a placebo?

Ingredients:
Vitamin B12, Iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, Copper, Manganese, Molybdenum, L-tyrosine, Schisandra powder, Ashwaghanda Root Powder, Bladderwrack Powder, Kelp, Cayenne Pepper Powder

Replies

• Stacyines
    Stacyines Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I personally think your digestive system has a lot to do with your weight problems. If you dont use the bathroom regularly it is stressful to your body which makes your adrenal glands burn out and then your thyroid is affected. Add back in natural fiber to your diet such as beans and rice and eat lots of cruciferous veggies and eat fermented foods.

Also i dont know anything about the Zhou thyroid support but it seems worth a try since the ingredients all seem safe and natural.

Thank you for your recommendations! Unfortunately, high fiber food is already part of my regular diet. I eat a lot of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts daily. I also take fiber supplements upon the suggestions of two doctors. My digestive system is a mess ):

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Most supplements are completely worthless.

Having said that, how tall are you? Do you track your calories? Do you use a food scale? Can you open your diary? What is your exercise routine?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I personally think your digestive system has a lot to do with your weight problems. If you dont use the bathroom regularly it is stressful to your body which makes your adrenal glands burn out and then your thyroid is affected. Add back in natural fiber to your diet such as beans and rice and eat lots of cruciferous veggies and eat fermented foods.

Also i dont know anything about the Zhou thyroid support but it seems worth a try since the ingredients all seem safe and natural.

Where do you get these absolutely insane ideas?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you have a thyroid issue your doctor should prescribe something to help. It will still take a calorie deficit to lose weight. Natural doesn't mean it's effective or safe. This is an issue to work with your doctor on.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    - ‘normal’ thyroid ranges may not be right for everyone. If you are still concerned you might have thyroid problems you could ask for a full thyroid panel and discuss the results in detail with your doc (or another, or an endocrinologist)

- some ingredients in the supplement you list such as sellenium and iodine ARE beneficial to people with hypothyroidism, more so via supplementing if they we deficient though.
    ETA and as an adjunct to (predominantly) synthetic thyroid hormone supplementation.

- veggies like broccoli, cauliflower etc are goitergens which can impact thyroid function in some peeps

- If you’re having problems with certain symptoms, try not to go in with a diagnosis in mind. If hypothyroidism has been ruled out then perhaps something else is the issue.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Why would you take something for your thyroid when your doctor tells you that your thyroid is healthy? Especially for weight loss...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Mrs Jruzer has no thyroid. It was removed via surgery about 14 years ago. She therefore has the most serious thyroid condition imaginable.

She has to take a dose of artificial hormone, Levothyroxine, daily. She will have to take this for the rest of her life. If she were to stop taking it, her metabolism would slow down so much that she would die.

She doesn't need any "thyroid support" supplement.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Why would you take something for your thyroid when your doctor tells you that your thyroid is healthy? Especially for weight loss...

i will say that i was told by multiple doctors that there was "nothing" wrong with my thyroid for several years until someone actually listened to me and ordered an ultrasound of my neck which determined tumors and cancer...my bloodwork had always been in the "normal" range - the surgeon identified that I had hashimoto's based on my thyroid when she removed it (which in younger women doesn't routinely show up in bloodwork)