Gained 3lbs during period

Options
I've been on a 1000-1200kcal diet and been steadily losing weight. Lost 9lbs so far but this week I have put on 3lbs!
I've not cheated at all.
I'm really annoyed.
All my hard work for nothing.
This is why I've given up on diets before as I eventually either start gaining weight or stop losing.
I am disabled and have to do it by diet alone.
I am on my period at the moment. Could this be the reason?
Has anyone else dropped the gained weight after their period has ended?

Replies

• AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can definitely gain weight from your period, in fact, for most women it's normal! I used to fret over that as well! If you search the MFP database you'll see a lot of forum posts about period weight gain and how women deal with it. During my time of month and sometimes ovulation I'll gain 1-3 pounds, but that's just me :)

This forum post is especially helpful!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Don't fret-it's just temporary. It's water retention during your period. You'll drop those pounds when it's over. Drink extra water and keep inputting your calories. It'll drop when you're done.
  • JanesGame
    JanesGame Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm disabled too so rely heavily on diet only loss. I gain so much during my periods but tent to easily loose it once km off again. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back in these things. But that's still moving forward at the end of the day :)
  • Beeky_85
    Beeky_85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel... but it probably is PMS, Bloat, extra water weight etc. Just keep going and it will go again :wink:
  • ambootielicious
    ambootielicious Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gain about 3 kilo for my period, it's just water and will leave after your period. Magnesium can help. But next week you'll have a great weigh in day
  • deboralena
    deboralena Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Feel a bit better now. Will keep at it and fingers crossed it'll come back off soon x
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yep, water and hormones. Just keep being consistent.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    By tracking my calories, I learned a couple of things about my cycle: 1. I get very hungry during ovulation and I typically see an increase in the scale during that time (even when still at a deficit). 2. The first day is always an increase on the scale and a desire to eat steak (iron desires, still eat at a deficit)

Then in a couple days I see it all play out and I have my normal .5-1 lb loss. It's like clockwork though right now for me. Thanks body!
  • ALNIBY
    ALNIBY Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always "gain" 3-5 lbs during ovulation and my period, then it drops back off a couple days later. I'm guessing it's mainly due to water retention. Don't get discouraged! It's just one of the joys of being a woman.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends no fewer than 1200 calories a da for women, plus you are supposed to eat back the calories you earn through exercise. Believe me, you’ll still lose weight.
  • Breezer628
    Breezer628 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use herbal cranberry tea and it really helps with bloating and water retention. It’s called “weightless”. If your grocery store doesnt have it, amazon does!
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've found that I usually gain 5 pounds before my period but it comes off afterwards.
  • grahamlittle1
    grahamlittle1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You 100 percent can count on the fact, that unless your body fat is at a very low percentage where you then end up with amenorrhea you will always have bloating, increased water retention and weight gain just before and during your period. This is a completely healthy and normal part of being a woman. As long as you are feeling well enough you should try to continue your nutrition and exercise routines however that might not always be possible of course. At the end of the day, don't punish yourself for your normal biology. Also, dont punish yourself if you feel like a chocolate bar or something. Those cravings are pretty normal also during that time in your cycle. I wouldn't bother weighing yourself during those days so you can avoid the negative pyschological impacts it might have. Keep up the hard work and best of luck.
  • stepladder49
    stepladder49 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ugh I'm in the same boat - and while my brain knows that it is just increased water retention - I can't help but feel frustrated and down - especially feeling so bloated and blah :(