Beta Blockers???

Options
Hi everyone.
I am a 40 year old female who has been on beta blockers (40mg nadolol) for 2 years for supraventricular tachycardia. Since starting these there is no way I can get my heartrate over 100 (110 max) no matter what exercise I do (including interval training). Am finding this very disheartening as I want to improve my health and fitness, but feel exercising is achieving very little if I can only get my HR to about 55% of maximum for my age. I have just signed up to MFP today, and am wanting to lose about 10 pounds. Is anyone else on these and/or able to offer advice??

Replies

• myahankel
    Options
    I think you should ask your doctor.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Simply adding more activity can net a significant weight loss, however, patients taking beta blockers need to be aware that these mediations affect heart rate. According to Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D., beta blockers slow your heart rate down, which means it may be impossible to achieve the number of heartbeats per minute recommended for exercise intensity level. Sheps suggests that patients taking beta blockers rely on their own judgment of how hard they are working based on breathlessness, fatigue, and sweat. Aim for moderate intensity, and always check with your doctor before you start any exercise program.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/313357-beta-blockers-weight-loss/#ixzz1UOZ7OKX8
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask your doctor.

As a medical assistant, I totally agree...talk to your doc asap!
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    Simply adding more activity can net a significant weight loss, however, patients taking beta blockers need to be aware that these mediations affect heart rate. According to Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D., beta blockers slow your heart rate down, which means it may be impossible to achieve the number of heartbeats per minute recommended for exercise intensity level. Sheps suggests that patients taking beta blockers rely on their own judgment of how hard they are working based on breathlessness, fatigue, and sweat. Aim for moderate intensity, and always check with your doctor before you start any exercise program.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/313357-beta-blockers-weight-loss/#ixzz1UOZ7OKX8

They're right. Beta bockers lower your heart rate.....that's why it's not going up when you exercise. Your body is probably feeling the intensity though.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I won't repeat the talk to you doctor advice, since you've been well advised there.

However, I DO think you can use MFP to help you track your calories. Your DIET will certainly have a big impact on your weight loss success.

Eat clean, eat lots of fiber and protein. Drink lots of water. Watch sugar try not to take more than 10% of your calories from sugar.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It is a common complaint that I hear with those on beta blockers. You may need to use another tool to gauge how hard you are working other than your pulse rate. You should, however, check with your doctor to make sure there are no other issues with your pulse rate. You doctor should be able to suggest various perceived exertion scales to accurately evaluate your exercise efforts.
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    First off since you are on beta blockers, you would never get to a HR of 55% of your max. Don't stop the beta blockers just to achieve your target heart rate. They are very dangerous and you need to ween off of them.

You would need to adjust your target heart rate based on your resting heart rate. You can ask your doctor to perform an exercise stress test to find out your new target heart rate while on beta blockers.
  • haybob
    haybob Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a cardiac rehab nurse. You may not get your heart rate up to your target rate. The beta blockers will hold it down. You should still exercise as it will benefit your health. It is a masked effect. Instead of trying to reach the HR you should go for how much effort you feel. You should break out in a light sweat and feel it is a moderate exertion. You should be able to exercise and talk. On a 0-10 scale of exertion you should be in the 3-4 range. Beta blockers help keep your heart from working too hard and keep your fast heart rate down.
  • aerodynamicvomit
    aerodynamicvomit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ask your doctor. If you're on these meds, it's to keep you from going in to SVT again and things like exercise could, feasibly, trigger that.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I agree with much of the advice here. I just got off of a beta blocker and I use to take a diuretic. I had too many aggravating side effects that I just asked my doctor lets keep on trying. I think that's the best advice I can give. Find a medicine that works for you because it's your body. I am taking Losartan potassium right now which is my 3rd try and so far so good with the side effects. It's been 3 going on 4 weeks.
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    What are the odds that you would post that question? I'm in the process of being weaned off of nadolol tabs right now, and I've taken them for years and years. I was prescribed them to help control the symptoms from my mitral valve prolapse, but times have changed and even though I still have MVP there's not as much concern now that the fast heart rate/skipped beats are dangerous. I'm down to a half dose for this week and the main things that I've noticed already is that I don't have that "dead leg" feeling when I push too hard going up a hill, and that I can control my breathing much better. I specifically asked my doctor if he would take me off of them, and instruct me how to do it safely, and we've both agreed if I feel too uncomfortable I'll start them again. So far, so good, though.

(This is ME, though, and my condition doesn't have any life-threatening effects when not taking beta blockers. Others take them for more serious conditions and I would never recommend coming off of them without specific instructions from your doctor. Disclaimer over.)

But in answer to your original question, yes, I always had trouble getting any training effect while on nadolol. I just dealt with it though, and didn't try to use a HRM. The most frustrating part to me was really not being able to work past a certain fitness level -- my muscles just go dead. I'm hoping now that I will see some change. I hope you can get things to work out well for you, too. Good luck!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies! Yes i have spoken to my doctor numerous times. Usually he says give it 3 months and if you don't feel you are making any progress fitness wise we will review meds/dosage. This is the first time I am motivated enough to get to 3 months lol so will see how it goes and talk to him again if I really feel stuck. Thanks again!