Loosing weigh when over 50

Options
I started about one and a half weeks ago to loose 30 lbs. I only eat salad and potatoes and lost 5 lbs total. Oh yah I also workout 20 minutes every day.
Now I see you am stalled ,loosing nothing and gut is still big.
Question I have is what about taking probiotics is that s something I should include.

Replies

• FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    know nothing about probiotics. However did see something that before they will work you need to take prebiotics.
    You need protein to help keep you full. There are all kinds of weigh loss programs out there. I do WW. Lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    5 pounds in 1.5 weeks is really fast when you only have 30 pounds to lose. Hopefully it's mostly water weight. Weight loss for 30 pounds is typically in the 1 pound a week territory. As you get closer to goal, the weekly losses will be lower still.

More important than probiotics, or a vitamin pill are your MACROS (protein, fat, and carbs). Eating fewer calories forces our body to use stores for energy. HOWEVER, our bodies don't use fat stores exclusively. Too few calories (over time) and your body will catobolize lean muscle mass. Adequate calories, protein and strength training can help minimize muscle loss.

Set your weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound a week. Meet that calorie goal. Treat the protein macro as a minimum.....eat at least that much. Get a decent amount of dietary fat. The rest is carbs. Eat food you enjoy, but watch portions. Salad and potatoes are going to get old really fast.....and sounds really low in protein.

If you add in exercise you will earn additional calories. This keeps the 1 pounds a week deficit you signed up for. Keep in mind calorie burns are estimates. Start by eating back 50%. If weight loss is more than 1 pound a week eat more, if weight loss is less than 1 pound a week eat less.

Weight loss will not be linear. Some weeks you may lose nothing, and then you may catch up the next week.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    5xi88uaomgan.jpg

I started my weight loss journey at the age of 55. It took me over a year to lose 53 lbs. Looking back I would have changed the way I handled it. I would have started weightlifting immediately instead of focusing mostly on cardio for a full year and would NOT have continued on a 1200 calorie diet for nearly a year as it wreaked havoc on my metabolism. I would recommend you don't lose more than 1-2 lbs./week, otherwise you will quickly lose muscle mass. Just make sure you are eating enough. I know nothing about probiotics