Vegan/vegetarian protein

Options
Help I need more protein my doctor wants me to drink protein shakes/powder they are gross beyond words I was looking for pills but have not found any with high protein levels

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any products marketed as protein pills.

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and I average 110g of protein per day on 1350 calories. My go-tos are protein bars, cottage cheese, other kinds of cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, other dairy products like kefir or milk, and occasional meat substitutes (like veggie burgers). Other good sources include tofu, tempeh, seitan and other soy products. Things like nuts, nut butters, beans, legumes and higher-protein grains aren't my primary protein sources, but they help round me up to my goal.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Tofu, tempeh and seitan are supposed to be good alternative protein sources.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try adding hemp hearts to your smoothies, 3 tbsps gives you 10g of protein and has an unnoticeable taste in the smoothie.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time (43+ year) ovo-lacto veg (though I don't eat many eggs).

While it's not veg-centric I found the thread below very useful. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories. Though many items near the top are meat-y/fish-y, keep scrolling down the list and you'll find many veg-suitable sources, too.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • lunabas
    lunabas Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a vegan protein smoothie in the morning with protein powder, almond milk, banana, spinach, and bluebertries. Some beans/pulses at lunch and some seitan/tofu at dinner and I’m usually at my protein macro goal
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was told to increase my protein recently too, as i don't feel satiated very long. I'm an ovo-vegetarian as well (who knew there were so many!), and average about 50g per day. Going to increase nuts and shakes and hope to hit a higher amount each day!
  • ErikaKBee
    ErikaKBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The protein shake brand that I like is Oriya. It doesn't taste like chalk and doesn't have anything artificial. Also, I started getting vegan options with the meal delivery kits (green chef, sun basket) and noticed they are pretty high in protein.
  • soysaucekitty
    soysaucekitty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried any of the Beyond Meat products? It is plant based pea protein with 20 grams of protein per serving. And the best meat substitute I have ever had. They have "chicken and beef". It is not soy but plant protein. It is fairly new but getting more popular. If you go to their website you can see what stores in your area sell their products. Really yummy and all plant based.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How much do you currently get, how much do you need, and are you eating meals or snacks that don't have much protein? It is probably easy to increase without adding in protein shakes if you don't like them. That said, if you think it would be easier to use it, protein powder varies a lot in taste and can be used in a variety of ways (added to greek yogurt or oats, in smoothies, protein pancakes, etc.).
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifelong vegetarian. I recommend trying a variety of different beans, peas and soy preparations to see what you like. Mix it up with different whole grains. Nutritional yeast is delicious added to all kinds of stuff. If you cook, check out the Thug Kitchen cookbook for vegetation meal ideas.
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is the protein powder that I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLD74WQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It doesn't taste great at first, but I got used to it and now I actually enjoy the taste a lot. it's not overly sweet, which I prefer, but you can used sweetened/flavored almond milk to mix it with if you like.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How much do you currently get, how much do you need, and are you eating meals or snacks that don't have much protein? It is probably easy to increase without adding in protein shakes if you don't like them. That said, if you think it would be easier to use it, protein powder varies a lot in taste and can be used in a variety of ways (added to greek yogurt or oats, in smoothies, protein pancakes, etc.).

Personally, I would start with this.

How much protein are you currently consuming on average?

What are your current protein goals?

What foods are you currently eating and what do you like?

What plant protein foods do you know of that you enjoy but don't normally eat?

That's a good starting point and working from there will be much easier.

Myself, I'm a big fan of seitan, tofu as well, but it's not quite as high in protein. In addition to that, I eat Gardein, Tofurky, Upton's, Field Roast, and other brands of protein foods. I also supplement with a blended protein powder when I'm too lazy to cook or eat something.