Crying

Options
So after I did so well and lost 5 stone I let my self go and put on two:-(
But I am determined to lose it again and stay fit! Needing so support right now:-( please tell me there is others out there on the same path as me??

Replies

• elziethom
    elziethom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are lots of positives to take from your situation! Firstly you lost 5 stone which is an amazing achievement! So whatever you did, you know you can do it again! Secondly, although I understand that you're not thrilled about putting on two, take the positive in the fact that you're doing something about it before you put it all back on! You've still lost three!!
    Two and a half years ago I lost a load of weight, bought the smaller clothes, felt good about it, only to put it back on and more, so had a wardrobe I couldn't wear. So now I'm back on it, those clothes are starting to fit again and I'm starting to feel good again. I find that motivation comes and goes, but I know I did it once so I can do it again. So can you!! I've written down my goals and what rewards I'll give myself when I get there - clothes, beauty treatments, but not food. Good luck, you can do it!!
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Same here! I lost weight 2years ago and have gained back half of it. I got rid of all my larger sized clothes and now can't fit into the smaller sized. I am wearing "cover up '
    clothes at the moment, leggings and loose tops. I'm finding it much harder this time around and get a bit disheartened. As the lady before me said though, we've done it before so can do it again! Keep on keeping on, like me! Good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In the past 6 months I have put back on about 16 kgs. It happens. Things you did not prepare yourself for happen. Take it as a learning opportunity to understand more about yourself, what happened, why it happened, what things could be done to minimize the gain next time it happens...etc. If anything, this gain is invaluable! A temporary gain you can learn from beats a permanent gain after you reach maintenance and simply deem yourself irreparable and give up. The more you have in your toolbox for long maintenance the better! So focus on that silver lining because it's more amazing that you'll ever know. A couple of years ago I had a similar regain for different reasons. I learned from it. When the same situation came to play I managed to maintain instead of gaining, which felt like a huge victory. Imagine yourself in the future and how amazing you will feel when you go through something similar but know how to manage it.
  • lil_katie86
    lil_katie86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys:-) well done to all of you too.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,901 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    as a vet of this type of behavior I can say you should be PROUD for catching it in time. My suggestion is that you start to come up with a maintenance plan right NOW. Go read the boards there. Get ready because you KNOW you are going to finish losing the weight again. You have done it before and how many times do you want to do it? For me. NO MORE! What you will see is that all maintenance is is a series of smaller ups and downs. So instead of putting on 2 stone before you take action you might only put on .2 stone. For me I have now been in maintenance for almost 16 weeks which was the same amount of time it took me to lose. This is the first time in my entire life that I did not end a diet with a binge/gain. Focus on how you want to maintain - you need to get past the "goal" and figure out what is next for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Try to understand what caused you to stop maintaining your weight once you lost it. Did you have an aggressive, quick weight loss diet that wasn't sustainable for you so that one you got to your goal weight, you went back to your old ways? Did you have some emotional challenge that you used food to cope with? Did you just get lax on tracking your weight so that it crept back on when you weren't paying attention?

Understanding what caused your relapse the last time can help you devise a better plan this time around.

^^This. Well written and spot on.

I've been maintaining for many years, but there are quite a few safeguards I really HAVE to do.
    1. I have to make good decisions in the grocery store
    2. I have to have healthy snacks available
    3. I have to limit sweets to special occasions. My "desserts" are fruit and Greek yogurt
    4. I have to step on the body weight scale at least twice a week and record my weight
    5. I have to log my food

Maybe all those things aren't things you think are important, but they are my basics.
  • daddio66in2000
    daddio66in2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Been there done that...
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    So after I did so well and lost 5 stone I let my self go and put on two:-(
    But I am determined to lose it again and stay fit! Needing so support right now:-( please tell me there is others out there on the same path as me??

Yep, I lost 40lbs in 2012, was 15lbs away from my GW when I just stopped logging and stopped paying attention to what was eating. It was almost like a self-sabotage thing. I've put it all back on again with interest. I've started again and this time it feels different, more like a life-long change.

You did it before and I'm sure you can do it again. :smile: Feel free to add me if you like.