Low impact yoga/tia chi, is it worth logging?

Options
Hello!

Following a rather big injury I am having to start again and go back to basics on how I move my body in exercise.

I'm doing yoga and tia chi at home (too poor for classes, hurray for youtube!) the thing is. It is very low impact compared to the average person. Now although it's low impact it is still pushing my personal body to the limits for noe (which is what matters the most)

My question is, is there any point in me logging it? Is it still classed as a burn because even though its very low work compared to most people, I'm still working my body to the limits?

I'm new to all of this of you can't tell! Thanks in advance

Replies

• JanesGame
    JanesGame Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    To me, the discipline of logging the activity somewhere is beneficial. In terms of calorie expenditure, it's not much and personally I wouldn't bother with that.

The benefit of logging is aiming for consistency in practice, then later you can understand patterns.

Yeah. I think if I do log it it'll get me into good habits. But I might ignore the calorie defect ect. I just wasn't sure what to do :)
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It is worth doing regardless of calorie burn. If it makes you feel good, that is far more important than a random number being generated by an algorithm.

Personally the only calorie count I ever record for exercise is a big fat 1. It takes away the insanity of calculating how much food an exercise will give you.

Good luck with your goals and I hope you feel healthy and well soon.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    When I log yoga I get a pitiful number of calories. The consistency of logging is most likely more beneficial than worrying about whether 50 calories for 45 minutes of yoga is too high a burn.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    When I log yoga I get a pitiful number of calories. The consistency of logging is most likely more beneficial than worrying about whether 50 calories for 45 minutes of yoga is too high a burn.

Same! I try to base it off how I felt the yoga session went. And even my 60 min classes where I'm totally spent, I'm like 100 calories burned is probably too high. But I did the workout and will log it and will enjoy a bit more ice cream tonight bc I did it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I log my yoga and eat the few calories it gives me.
    I am small and older and find if I don't eat my exercise cals my energy level for everyday activities lowers, and my numbers can be off.

Log them, eat them, monitor, and adjust.

Cheers, h.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes. I log all purposeful exercise. I’m injured (again) and unable to be very active. I’m also older, shorter and have a pretty small base calorie allowance.

While I’m not burning massive numbers of calories, it helps me feel more productive to be able to log any exercise at all (which is a huge benefit when dealing with the emotional toll of injury/recovery), and under any circumstances, 100 calories can feel like a million when you’d otherwise not be able to squeeze in a treat or a snack.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Logging encourages me to be consistent regardless of the workout. So got me it’s a mental benefit. I don’t eat more because of yoga.
  • LozzaaxG
    LozzaaxG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Personally I don’t log workouts, completely see the reasoning everyone else has provided however! If I am extra hungry after working out I will eat an extra healthy snack and not panic if it has taken me over my calorie limits for that day! I’m sure plenty will disagree with me but at the moment this works for me. If I was too strict I couldn’t do it!
  • marieeclifford
    marieeclifford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic reply (I do log my
    Yoga-more for a sake of accomplishment than calories), but- I’m in a similar situation- working back into regular exercise with low impact and not about to shell out $100/month for yoga. I downloaded the “Daily Yoga” app and bought the gold membership for $3/month and am really enjoying it. Lots of variety, walks you through the poses with good instruction. There are some programs that are better than others (translation and content wise) but it’s definitely worth $3 per month.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I log yoga but I change the calorie burn to 1.