Workout at home

Options
Hi. I'm not able to pay a gym or buy equipment at the moment and just started this journey. I justa want to tone my body and get a flat belly but don't know how to organize my daily workout or what exercises should I do. I've doing Pinterest and youtube routines but don't feel that it is working. Any recommendations? please

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k is good for cardio, and look at 'you are your own gym' for bodyweight workouts.
  • gpkearns
    gpkearns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is great. 30 mins a day. Great mix of strength cardio and abb exercises you can do at home. Just google it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com
    YouTube
    30 Day Challenge App
    38Plank App
    Sworkit App
    Fitbit Coach App
    Nerdfitness

You can use household items as weights.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Anything you will do on a regular basis will help.

You will lose more weight by tracking calories, than you ever would from the gym. "Toning" is about losing the layer of fat covering the muscle you already have. Strength training (even body weight training) will help shape the results, but these things take time.

Great thread on the subject........

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    Before i got around to getting an EZ bar, i did body weight workouts for 8 months. My favourite exercise is still walking with 10KG load.. a backpack full of bricks. It's true what they say. .. you can't out work poor nutrition.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    op3s0ixbcqa0.jpg

Here's an example of what we call 1KR. The goal is 1,000 reps in 40 minutes.

You can make up your own from various moves you are familiar with.

Always a great workout!!
  • Dinow
    Dinow Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael DVD’s
  • Tmountainmom
    Tmountainmom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like FitnessBlender online. It's free and has a variety of workouts.
  • racwalleye
    racwalleye Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    denysmar wrote: »
    Hi. I'm not able to pay a gym or buy equipment at the moment and just started this journey. I justa want to tone my body and get a flat belly but don't know how to organize my daily workout or what exercises should I do. I've doing Pinterest and youtube routines but don't feel that it is working. Any recommendations? please

Diet is first. Make sure to get alot of lean proteins and healthy fats. Most of your carbs should come post workout. Use lots of veggies for side dishes, watch portion sizes too!

As far as "toning", that's a weird term. I'm assuming you just want to lose a little fat? Regardless you need resistance in your training, whether it be via weights or bodyweight training. It's very important to keep or even add some muscle. The fat comes off alot quicker than you add muscle too I might add.

Look at H.I.I.T style cardio. It's works and is superior to other forms of cardio. You don't need alot either, but once your comfortable (I don't know your aerobic capacity/health conditions etc) really push yourself. A good H.I.I.T cardio routine is usually only 12-20 minutes long.

Fish oil (EPA 180mg -dha 120mg) 3-4 times daily would be a good supplement to add as well, for general health but also nutrient partitioning.

Drink lots of water. If your thirsty, have water on hand. Bring it everywhere you can. You're be amazed how it effects your appetite and portion sizes, as well as fat loss.

Best wishes

Rick
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1. Weightloss is 110% diet
    2. Exercise/working out/training is for fitness.

Start out with a general Fitness program that broadens your scope.

C25K and YAYOG are good. There are other BW programs. Kavadlos, Convict Conditioning, Pavel's Naked Warrior, DDP Yoga. Bottom line is they're all about the same, so pick the one that has the best tone for you. There's nothing wrong with the Beachbody programs, but they generally oversell the results possible.

HIIT certainly isn't superior to other forms of cardio, unless it targets your specific personal goals. Otherwise it's going to leave you with a lower calorie burn unhappily weeping in a puddle of your own sweat and tears.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    http://strength.stack52.com/periodic-table-of-bodyweight-exercises/

Every picture is a link to a youtube video that shows you how to complete the exercise.

• racwalleye
    Options

C25K and YAYOG are good. There are other BW programs. Kavadlos, Convict Conditioning, Pavel's Naked Warrior, DDP Yoga. Bottom line is they're all about the same, so pick the one that has the best tone for you. There's nothing wrong with the Beachbody programs, but they generally oversell the results possible.

HIIT certainly isn't superior to other forms of cardio, unless it targets your specific personal goals. Otherwise it's going to leave you with a lower calorie burn unhappily weeping in a puddle of your own sweat and tears.

You lost me at "weight loss". Why would anyone wanna lose fat and muscle? Fat loss is more appropriate.

And pubmed, in regards to HIIT, is far superior to other forms of cardio. It's science!

Anyhow, enjoy your day and bless you and yours!

Rick
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    racwalleye wrote: »

You lost me at "weight loss". Why would anyone wanna lose fat and muscle? Fat loss is more appropriate.

And pubmed, in regards to HIIT, is far superior to other forms of cardio. It's science!

Rick

Superior to other forms of cardio for accomplishing what goals? HIIT is completely inappropriate for most people who are new to exercise and 90% of people who think they're doing HIIT aren't.

For someone wanting to lose fat LISS cardio is far superior inasmuch as they can probably actually do it and they'll burn a lot more calories in longer steady state sessions, as their fitness improves add interval training but not from day one....

I'd love to see your "it's science" peer reviewed citations.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    denysmar wrote: »

Lots of great suggestions so far. I started off with Nerd Fitness and now I use Fitness Blender, but there are tons of options. Just don't fall for any workout that says it will give you a flat belly - you can't spot reduce fat. In terms of organization, anything is better than nothing! Bodyweight exercises are great for strength - most people recommend three total-body sessions a week for beginners, with a 48 hour break in between. Cardio you can do pretty much every day if you're talking low or medium impact, but don't burn yourself out by trying to do too much too fast. Anything that's really banging your joints (like running) you probably don't want to do every day at first. And you need good shoes if you want to run, and those aren't cheap. People are really crazy about HIIT right now, but real HIIT isn't necessarily a good idea for beginners and most people or workouts don't do it right anyhow. Fitness Blender has a lot of "HIIT" workouts that are basically interval or circuit workouts - they're a lot of fun, but don't expect miracles.

One equipment recommendation - if you're working out in a dedicated space at your home, get some floor mats as soon as you can afford them. I use these - https://www.amazon.com/ProSource-fs-1908-pzzl-Puzzle-Exercise-Interlocking/dp/B00B4IHXRU/. They're not especially expensive (about $20 for 24 sq ft), and your feet and butt and elbows will thank you.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Rick

You're misreading the research.

HIIT burns fewer calories Per minute and fewer calories per session than steady state.
  • racwalleye
    Options
    Steady state vrs prolonged nutrient partitioning, steady state loses.

And HIIT is fine for beginners. You don't just go balls to the wall. You can even walk and incorporate HIIT cardio.

I can incorporate studies but unless you understand leptin/grehlin and other physiological hormones and how they react, we'll get nowhere in a debate.

Perhaps we should start another thread to talk science

• stanmann571
    Options

And HIIT is fine for beginners. You don't just go balls to the wall. You can even walk and incorporate HIIT cardio.

I can incorporate studies but unless you understand leptin/grehlin and other physiological hormones and how they react, we'll get nowhere in a debate.

That's not HIIT.
  • racwalleye
    Options
    It's just a variation of it
  • stanmann571
    Options

It's just a variation of it

Perhaps you should learn what HIIT is before you propose having a scientific discussion.
  • racwalleye
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sorry for interrupting your thread.

My bad.

I wish you the best health and results possible!

Rick