The success to weight loss is patience and SELF-motivation

Lately I have been getting a little frustrated at reading questions such along the lines of 'How do I lose 50 pounds in 3 months?' and ''I've lost weight so why isn't everyone super impressed with me?'.

Now the reason the first is annoying is because there is no magical fix and quick solution that is HEALTHY to lose 50+ pounds in a short period of time. Did you gain 50+ pounds in a few months or was it years or being inactive and overeating? If like most people it took years to have that weight creep on then expect to take years to lose it by slowly adjusting your lifestyle. YOU CAN lose 50+ pounds quickly if you starve yourself, exercise excessively, feel like crap, destroy your metabolism etc. But then like most dieters the second you resort back to a normal diet your weight will balloon because you have destroyed your metabolism. What's more important, looking good for this year's beach season or being in awesome shape for the rest of your life?

The second question annoys me as well because it signals that someone is losing weight for the wrong reason. Now, don't get me wrong it is always nice to get some external feedback with people telling you how wonderful you look. However, you should have the focus that you are losing weight not merely to look good and get compliments but to become a stronger and fitter individual. If your goals are purely vanity then you will probably end up putting weight back on down the line as people aren't always going to hold your hand in this journey. They will be encouraging but people have their own issues to deal with and sometimes your weight loss is probably not at the top of their priorities. Focus on how you feel better, healthier and stronger and that you eat clean and exercise because YOU care about yourself and not what others think of you.

Replies

• lozf85
    lozf85 Posts: 62 Member
    Here here.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    good post! i knows it's going to take me at least a year to get my goal weight and a life time to keep it!
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Awesome post! I just commented this morning on someone wanting to lose 10lbs in a week or something. Slow and steady, perseverance and patience is what gets you to your goal. It's about a lifestyle change, not a crash diet! Do it for you and you'll win everytime! :bigsmile:
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    very true!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    So true! There is no easy fix and you have to be your own biggest cheerleader.