Cheap Soup recipes?

Options
prettytoxic
prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
I love soup but so many in the stores that are cheap enough for me to buy plenty of either don't have flavours I like or are too unhealthy [lots of salt, not much else].

Any know of some good soup recipes or websites where I could some?

Replies

• barbleit
    barbleit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try allrecipes.com and look on healthy bites.
  • clash98
    clash98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I GET MOST OF MY RECIPES FROM ..... ALLRECIPES.COM..... MOST OF THEIR RECIPES ARE MEMBER SUBMITED AND PROVIDE NUTRITION INFO.

COOKS.COM IS GOOD AS WELL
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    AllReceipes.com has some good recipes (http://allrecipes.com/)
    You can also try www.Weightwatchers.com under the "Community" tab they have a receipe swap.
    Hope this helps :smile:
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    4oz of chopped carrots
    1 cup of chopped celery
    (a little bit of chopped onion)
    3-4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
    1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces
    1 package of tofu shirataki noodles (rinsed, boiled for 5 minutes in water)
    salt, pepper, garlic powder (whatever you want, really)

rinse noodles/soak them in cold water for a few minutes, then put them in boiling water for about 5 minutes.

put everything but the noodles in another pot and let it come to a boil, add the noodles and let it come back to a boil for 2-3minutes. turn down heat and let simmer for a few minutes.

it's really good, i had to add salt and other seasonings, but i'd rather add it myself.
  • prettytoxic
    prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    4oz of chopped carrots
    1 cup of chopped celery
    (a little bit of chopped onion)
    3-4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
    1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces
    1 package of tofu shirataki noodles (rinsed, boiled for 5 minutes in water)
    salt, pepper, garlic powder (whatever you want, really)

rinse noodles/soak them in cold water for a few minutes, then put them in boiling water for about 5 minutes.

put everything but the noodles in another pot and let it come to a boil, add the noodles and let it come back to a boil for 2-3minutes. turn down heat and let simmer for a few minutes.

it's really good, i had to add salt and other seasonings, but i'd rather add it myself.

That sounds lush!
    Thanks for the help guys I'll go check out those sites now =]
  • NoMoreGorda
    NoMoreGorda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Buy a box of Quaker barley and make the Chicken Barley Chili (recipe on back of box). My personal alteration is that I add cilantro but when you make your own soup, you can alter the flavors however YOU want. If you're trying to be healthier, accept that you'll just be cooking more 'cause you are so right about store-bought stuff!

Another excellent soup is from Prevention's Cooking for Good Health cookbook. It's Clear Spinach and Tomato Soup, everyone I've ever had try it, loves it, even my picky kids (although I have to use half the spinach the recipe calls for). Maybe you can find it (and many others) at your local library. What I like about most of prevention's cookbooks is there are usually lots of pictures - the one I mentioned is my absolute favorite - a color picture with EVERY recipe - great for us visual types!

Best of luck to you in your soup search!
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I made this corn & veggie soup the other day but added 4 ounces of chicken, one red potato and a bit of red pepper flake, and cut the milk a bit. It was really good, and a great way to use corn when it's in season.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/creamy-corn-and-vegetable-soup-recipe/index.html
  • Newnanax3
    Newnanax3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    After picking some fresh zucchini from my garden I searched for a good soup recipe and found this~
    It is terrific!! and a cinch to make.

Recipe from Ginna’s Skinny Recipe websight

Cream of Zucchini Soup
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pt
    Calories: 65.3 • Fat: 1.0g • Protein: 3.5 g • Carb: 11 g • Fiber: 2.8 g

• 1/2 small onion, quartered
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 3 small zucchini skin on cut in large chunks
    • 32 oz fat free chicken stock
    • 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
    • salt
    • pepper

Combine chicken broth, onion, garlic and zucchini in a medium pot and cook on medium heat.

Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Purée: Add the sour cream. Using an immersion blender, purée till smooth.

Stir in remaining ingredients, and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot.

Optional: Top with 2 tsp parmesan cheese - 1 point extra
  • unique2myself
    unique2myself Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cooking light.com has TONS of recipes. Try the north woods bean soup. Freezes well too