Counting calories per week plus those Chia seeds....

Hi everyone. Little over a month now on MFP! I lost 7.5 lbs from 155ish to 147. I am trying to eat 1200 calories per day, and it takes some creativity. Many days I end up maybe 50 - 150 calories over my limit. Other days, like today, I end up below my goal. Do you think it is OK to eat say 1000 calories one day, to compensate for the other days when I've gone over? Over a week, that might turn out to be 1200 per day. I just see all these warnings about going under 1200...

On that note, I started eating Chia seeds. I really like the consistency, and that I get calcium in my diet (I eat very limited amounts of dairy.). The first few days I just put the chia in my oatmeal and let it cook, or in my smoothie. But now I hear you need to soak them overnight?? I feel incredibly full when I eat just a few grams. One day I felt very nauseous. I have a hard time hydrating myself, very hard to get all that water in. And I got worried that the Chia seeds were pulling water from my body. I am still quite *TMI* constipated from the ordeal. But I do not want to stop eating Chia. It takes away all my hunger and has so many nutrients. Has anyone experience with eating chia seed in the wrong way (not enough soak/water in your system)?

Replies

• megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    I eat them without soaking all the time.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,725 Member
    edited January 2018
    I usually eat chia seeds dry - added to a salad or cottage cheese. You do need to stay hydrated when you eat them, but that is something that you should do regardless. Eight 8 ounce glasses per day is a recommended minimum. More info in the article below.

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/chia-seeds
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    I eat them without soaking all the time.

I heard of a man who ate dry seeds which then got caught in his throat! I just got a little worried that they would expand like crazy and get stuck in my insides...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Totally fine to eat fewer cals on occasion, it's your overall deficit that matters. But, if you find you are consistently a little over, you might be better to either drop your weekly weight loss target, or find ways to increase your calorie burn to cover the extra. Definitely don't push the lower cals if it is leaving you hungry, as this is often enough to set off overeating. If you currently have your weight loss goal set to more than 1 lb per week (which based on your rate of loss so far, you do), lower it and see what extra it gives you.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    People doing 5:2 intermittent fasting eat 500kcal 2 days a week to hit there weekly target. Zero evidence of it damaging metabolism or dude effects .... but some positive evidence albeit small survey numbers of it being good for you.

Personally as long as you get the correct weekly average I see no issue with going under some days in order to go over on others

But don’t let it become a disorder. Don’t start skipping meals because you caved and had a biscuit ... bad mmmmmkay .... instead know you are going to eat 600kcal more on Saturday so skip of eat small breakfasts on the previous Monday and Wednesday for example
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    Thanks for the feedback! I am wondering if I unfortunately need to exclude Chia Seeds, as my body might not be able to process them. Did anyone experience this? I really like them, the texture and nutrients...too bad. I wonder if doubling water intake could help. But it seems like it causes severe GI problems for me.