1 week of not weighing in.. today I weighed in.. gained??

Options
Why?????????????????

I was 157.4 last Sunday. weighed in today and was 160... WHY!?!?!?!?!?

I don't eat over 1200 calories a day.. exercise.. and I'm still gaining weight.. why?

Replies

• breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    not eating enough hun...
    wat kinda of exercise do you do and average calorie burn??
  • brittanylynne1209
    Options
    I try to eat 1200-1400 calories a day, I average about 200 calorie burn a day working out. If I average more, I eat a little more.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I couldn't tell you.

I'll venture a guess that like breesrucza says, you're not eating enough. Or maybe you have too much sodium in your diet. Or you're not eating enough "good" calories. Or drinking enough water
  • Jebw123
    Jebw123 Posts: 24
    Options
    Sodium is almost always the culprit for an "unexpected" gain for me, though I have now come to expect it. Dine-out Chinese food can cause me to gain 4 lbs over 24-48 hours. It seems to take me several days of drinking lots of extra water to get back to a normal weight.
  • Elli8709
    Options
    As good as chinese is, it dosen't quite sound worth it! haha!
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    you need to eat at least 1,200.weight also changes day to day. i weighed myself recently and the scale said I gained weight. then 3 days later i apparently lost 5libs
  • brittanylynne1209
    Options
    I'm going to weigh mysel in the morning. Drank some yogi tea. Get regular to have a bowel movement. Tomorrow will be 5 days.... Is that why? Im hoping so! I look better, meaning loss of inches and pants are a little looser. So I shouldn't let the scale intimidate me!
  • PriorGodwyn
    Options
    How do you weigh yourself? With clothes? That could be a contributing factor, because that'll add a good couple pounds, give or take. When I weigh myself, I strip completely, go to the bathroom, and I only weigh myself if I haven't eaten in at least two hours. I'm not sure if that's what the problem is, but it certainly could be contributing.

I hope this helped a little. And don't get stressed out about it, it'll be fine. Getting stressed can lead to overeating if you're like me, so just relax. :smile: Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39
    Options
    if you were not at all physically active and now you are, chances are you are building muscle. i did the same exact thing as you. i gained weight even after eating 1200 cals/day and having days when i exercised. i exercise pretty intensly, sometimes working off 500-600 cals in an hour, so i always 'eat back' my calories. even with watching myself like a hawk, i was gaining weight, but def losing inches in the legs and butt. then one week, i just started dropping the weight, and the first time, it just happened almost overnight. 3 came off almost in one night. also i notice the same things with salt. if my calories came from a high salty meal, i retain fluid and retain weight. i usually always notice weight loss each week after i have given myself a day or two off from exercise. not unusual for me to have an achy body after 5 days straight of exercise. when you are muscle achy like that, your muscles hold onto a fair amt of fluid. those days off help my body adjust and diuresis. stick with it, you'll see the results on the scale soon!!
  • dwilczynski
    Options
    If you're exercising you may actually gain weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. I just went through 4 weeks of not losing a pound but was exercising alot. Even though on the scale there wasn't weight difference, I could tell in my clothes that there was a difference.
  • walkingshoes
    walkingshoes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising you may actually gain weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. I just went through 4 weeks of not losing a pound but was exercising alot. Even though on the scale there wasn't weight difference, I could tell in my clothes that there was a difference.
    Ditto. These are my first four weeks also. But I see this working for so many people, including a personal friend who recently lost 33 pounds just with mfp. Also, I feel much more athletic, AND I have a pair of pants I am not able to wear anymore. MY FRIEND THAT IS HAVING GREAT SUCCESS ON HERE TOLD ME TO MEASURE FOR ANY WEEKS THAT I DONT SEE WEIGHT LOSS. I AM DEFINATELY SEEING INCHES AND MY HUSBAND AND I DO SEE A DIFFERENCE. I keep hearing how people all of this sudden have it melt off, so I am perservering and looking forward to a meldown. :-)
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are all they are for me. I also eat at or around 1200 calories a day (which my trainer said was just fine) and had about a pound or so fluctuation. I agree about the sodium. Do you drink soda? That can affect it. Personally I have to weight on the same day at the same time every week or the weight on the scale doesn't count. Also.. do you use different scales? I was floored when according to my gym's scale I had gained 6 pounds since weighing on my Grandma's scale.. but I didn't, hers is just waaay off.
  • fritzlerashley4391
    Options
    hey girly! womans bodies fluctuate 1-4 lbs daily.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The human body fluctuates about 5 pounds a day, up and down, all throughout the day. You need to make sure you weigh yourself at the same time of day, under the same conditions in order to get an accurate weight. First thing in the morning, before breakfast, is best.

Oh, and I'd bet a shiny penny that Grandma's scale is more accurate. Gym scales are abused regularly, and are usually not very accurate at all.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I also find I weigh more before/during my period. lol.
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    I had the same this week. Good to have this advice.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!