Exercising in the severe heat

Options
We are experiencing a heat wave in New Zealand.

I got up at 5am to do my yoga and it was so hot my hands were slipping down the mat.

What forms of exercise can I do? I'd like to swim but I live too far away from the pool.

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I just keep going and make sure I'm hydrated. I ran 30km in the heat yesterday, was meant to be 34km but when I got to 30km I just ran out of can, checked my phone and saw the temp was 36 degrees and walked the rest. Think I drank 2 litres of water on that run.

I'm very happy we got a cool change here in the southern part of Australia today. But we're sure to have more heat waves and I'm just gonna keep hydrated and carry on.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Cycling is good in the heat ... you get a bit of a breeze! :)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I was so jealous of the cyclists I saw yesterday. It looked so (comparatively) cool...
  • chrsmina
    chrsmina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay hydrated, wear sunscreen and a hat you should be able to do any exercise you choose.

I live in the Middle East and regularly run in the summer when it’s over 40’ outside.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I either swim, walk early and in the shade, or just stay inside and turn on the AC. I workout a lot indoors in the summer (except for swimming). Check to see if your library has a good selection of workout vieos, or try YouTube.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm glad you said it before I did. In my head I was thinking, "well I'm pretty sure most of the Tour Down Under involved temperatures of more than 40 degrees this year..." Mind you a lot of people weren't particularly happy about that and I personally wouldn't bike outside in that heat, but really like @chrsmina said, it's an issue of hydration (and sunscreen).

OP how how are you talking about? From a quick google search it looks like the hottest parts of NZ are in the mid 30s during the day yeah? If so I would bike or run outside in the morning and keep hydrated.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1. Stay hydrated.
    2. Don't overhydrate or under-electrolyte
    3. use sun protection
    4. Try to be outside as close to the start or end of the day
    5. Were you doing yoga outside?
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Living in Texas, it's hard to get in outdoor workouts in the summer time, it's just too hot and humid from late June through late September. You have to go early in the morning or like 8 PM in order to beat the heat at all. Basically, once summer comes, I stop running outdoors and i try o do more indoor activities, like spinning class, yoga class, treadmill, etc. It's definitely not as fun for me.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was out in Bahrain in the middle of summer when I was near the end of C25K so had to do a few runs despite a temperature that was well into the 40C+ range, even after dark, and with massive humidity as well. It was very tough and I found I needed to slow down a lot in order to be able to run for a reasonable period without stopping.

So the main answers for me were:
    1) Be reasonable and take things easier due to the conditions
    2) Stay hydrated
    3) Try not to get sunburnt if out during the day