What kind of example have you set?

Options
Okay. So, this is not just about me but my five year old son. Since I've started being more concious about my eating habits, I'm noticing more about his. I blame myself mostly and my husband and other adults he's been around a little bit too. But of course children learn by example. Let me get to my point.

Over the past few weeks, I've gotten to a plateau in my weight loss. The pounds had been falling off pretty easily until then. Then, about a month or so ago, it just stopped. So, I've really been paying attn to EVERYTHING! I know that the hardest part of the day for me is after dinner and late in the evening when things start winding down. I want to snack. And I don't want fruit and veggies and low fat string chz. I want junk.
Well, tonight alone, my son has asked for cookies, popcorn, chips, choc milk, juice, chicken nuggets, a hamburger, a hotdog, etc. Granted, he didn't get ALL those things but after he did eat a little mcdonalds hamburger that was left from my meal earlier, he shouldn't have actually been hungry. Still, I gave him a glass of Ovaltine.

So, aside from setting a good example from now on, how do I "lay down the law" without being mean mommy??? I don't want him to have health problems stemming from childhood obesity so these habits need to stop now. Any advice?

Replies

• rachel92782
    Options
    Okay. So, this is not just about me but my five year old son. Since I've started being more concious about my eating habits, I'm noticing more about his. I blame myself mostly and my husband and other adults he's been around a little bit too. But of course children learn by example. Let me get to my point.

Over the past few weeks, I've gotten to a plateau in my weight loss. The pounds had been falling off pretty easily until then. Then, about a month or so ago, it just stopped. So, I've really been paying attn to EVERYTHING! I know that the hardest part of the day for me is after dinner and late in the evening when things start winding down. I want to snack. And I don't want fruit and veggies and low fat string chz. I want junk.
    Well, tonight alone, my son has asked for cookies, popcorn, chips, choc milk, juice, chicken nuggets, a hamburger, a hotdog, etc. Granted, he didn't get ALL those things but after he did eat a little mcdonalds hamburger that was left from my meal earlier, he shouldn't have actually been hungry. Still, I gave him a glass of Ovaltine.

So, aside from setting a good example from now on, how do I "lay down the law" without being mean mommy??? I don't want him to have health problems stemming from childhood obesity so these habits need to stop now. Any advice?
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'd say, start using low-sugar and low-salt alternatives, to naturally curb his cravings. Cook with veggies and whole grains. He should come around.

I notice how my parents feed my sister and it makes me sick. This summed up everything:

We were having a dinner of roast beef, corn, baked potato, and green beans. I had "rescued" my veggies to keep them butter free, much to my stepdad's antagonism. So, she's eaten her beef and most of her corn and potato. She hates green beans, so she has one or two obligatory ones on her plate.

"Dad, can I have just one more sliver of beef?"
    "NO! Finish your corn and potatoes and you can have ice cream."

I try hard not to be an imperialist. But if I cook her food, I always make it healthy. Sometimes she likes it, sometimes not...she's a sugar and salt addict, not to mention a rampant overeater. She one time asked me if pistachios were healthy.

"Oh yes, very much so."
    "YAY!"
    "Oh? In moderate portions, of course..."
    "Like how much?"
    "A handful."
    "...Oh."
    "How much did you eat?"
    "Dad got mad because I ate half the bag."
  • cassilawson
    Options
    I have been getting my kids involved in the meal and snack planning. My boys are 4 and 7 years old. We go grocery shopping together and I encourage them to want the healthy snacks. It's been working because they spent the night with my parents, and went to the store, typical grandparents wanting to spoil them!! And my Dad told me that when he let them decide what snacks they wanted, that they went for the fruit snacks made from real fruit!

It does take time, my kids as well as us, were junk food fanatics! We always had every kind of soda, kool aid, cookie, ice cream that you can imagine!!! We ate fast food at least 5 times a week. So it's been a change for them too. I make the sugar free drinks from Crystal Light, and just eliminated the junky snacks...replacing them with nuts, baked chips, Quakes, and fruit.

But just like you said WE lead and set the example!!