Weight loss while on the pill?

Options
My weight floated around 140 for a few years; I'm 5'8" and was fairly happy with that weight. I used to weigh about 200 lbs when I was younger, but after changing my eating habits (and honestly battling an eating disorder) in high school, I lost a lot of weight. In college I was then was able to maintain a stable weight while still eating well. After experiencing pain and going to a gyno, I was diagnosed with Endometriosis and put on the pill. This was a life saver when it came to the pain- buuuuut I started to gain weight. I gained a whopping 24 pounds before I realized it might not just be what I'm eating- the pill might have something to do with it. I've since then been battling hard and trying to get back to what I felt was a good weight for me. However, even after really buckling down and being really good for a month now- exercise, and all, which I never do- I haven't lost anything. I did notice a drop in my weight the week when I went off the pill (which I only do 4 times a year as prescribed), but now that I'm back on it, my weight has just gone right back up. How could I be eating 1300 calories a day, exercising, and STILL gaining weight? Is it really all in my head, or is the pill making a huge difference in my ability to lose weight? Should I not see at least SOME difference after a month? :( I want to keep at it, but trying so hard every day and not seeing any difference from when I'm completely sedentary and eating what I want is getting incredibly disheartening.

Replies

• kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am on the pill and I have lost 20 pounds. I can't see your diary but maybe you aren't eating enough.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am on the pill as well and have lost.
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The pill affects everyone differently, it's all about your hormones For instance, with me I gained 15-20 from the pill but then quickly lost it. My doctor said if you do gain weight from the pill it is usually water weight.
  • awtakontrl
    Options
    i have been on the pill for awhile and have lost 80+ pounds. i agree that u may not be eating/getting enough calories.
  • Mkin
    Mkin Posts: 43
    Options
    I am on the pill as well and have lost.

Ditto
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I went on the pill to regulate my periods in high school and gained 20 lbs, but I wasn't working out or even trying to eat well. I just went on the pill again a few months ago (again, to regulate periods, this time so we can get pregnant) and haven't had any problem losing. I know weight gain is listed as a side effect on most bc pills, so it's possible it's from the pill. I'd focus on making sure you're getting enough calories to compensate for your activity level. Also make sure you're getting enough potassium because if you're drinking a lot of water and not getting enough potassium, you could be retaining a lot of water. Just evaluate all aspects of what's going on--could be your diet/exercise program, water weight, or the pill. You could always mention it to your doctor for suggestions/ideas. Best wishes!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Im on the pill and have been losing. It may depend on what pill you're taking. You should talk to your doctor. Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pill, and I've lost close to 25 pounds.. it really depends on the person.

If you've never exercised before then your body may be trying to get used to whats happening. Try drinking some more water and see if that helps.. it may just be water weight.
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I too have Endometriosis, and PCOS, so I am a hormonal DOOM! I found personally for me, and contrary to most reports I use Lupron Depo for chemically induced menopause, and rotate it with Depo Provera, and have found during my treatments I maintain or lose weight versus gain it. Strange I know! It is a strugle and there is a lot of tweeking, you add my lap band into the mix and I am a reproductive hot mess. Feel free to add me, if its been done to treat endo, I have done it. Next step is a hysterectomy, I have been avoiding it since i was 23 years old.. its time I just wanna be healthy first.
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    I was on loads of different pills when I was younger, I gained weight with some and was able to lose with others. Perhaps print out your diary and take it along to your Dr, they may be able to suggest a different pill that will suit you better.

Good luck x
  • lucyclementmiller
    lucyclementmiller Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell for me. When I went on the pill is also the same time that I quit going to my boot camp/personal trainer and have gained 20 pounds since then. However I wasnt really working out at the intensity that I needed to be and eating horribly. So yes, i have had weight loss on the pill but only because I've worked hard to get it there. :)
  • keatonjazz
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I called my doctor today for more info; I actually need to start seeing a new doctor because of moving around, but the nurse on the phone told me she actually had the same problem as a patient and that I should try something different- but that I may never find something perfect for me. (As you have been saying, it's different for everyone.) I need to try something different anyway because although I am typically a very stable person normally, my emotions have been going haywire around my period to the point of seriously interfering with my life and school work. Thanks again for the input. I just like knowing I'm not crazy. <3
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    The first time I went on the pill, I was 18, and gained 30 lbs in an extremely short amount of time, with no change in diet or exercise. I was on it for 3 years, and when I got off of it, I lost those 30 lbs plus extra in an extremely short amount of time. Then last summer, I got back on the pill again, thinking "oh, my body is used to it now, I should be fine!" I was wrong. I gained 40+ pounds this time in a short time, and experienced all the other side effects (breast tenderness, mood swings, fatigue, spotting, overall general *****iness, etc.) 10x worse than the first time. I tried to stick with it though, but after new year's of this year I just couldn't take it anymore. This time, however, the weight is harder to lose...I've so far only lost 7 lbs., but as of 1 month ago, I've started eating a lot healthier, and added a lot of exercise. So I'm hoping I'll lose more soon. I don't like how I am on the pill...I have no energy, I'm way too moody, more negative...I want to say it's all in my head, but after being on it twice, and noticing the exact side effects coming into play each time, I'm thinking it's not. It does affect everyone differently, but overall, I'd say about 90% of my personal friends that are on the pill have gaind weight at some point...some just a few pounds, while others, like me, it was very significant.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    The pill doesn't make it you gain weight.

That said what the pill does do is make you retain water and often increases appetite/cravings for food.

But that's also dependent on the type of hormone and your body chemistry. You may do poorly on say a combo pill (estrogen/progesterin) but may do well on progestrin only pill.

Try a different pill and make sure you keep aware of what you eat and how much sodium you're taking in along with drinking enough water. I'm personally on Depo Provera and losing weight, and depo is generally most demonized for weigh gain. But its because I keep aware of what I eat.

Edit:
    Study about the pill and weigh gain: http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003987.html
    WebMD: Birth Control & weight gain: http://www.webmd.com/community/women-9/pill-weight-gain

Its primarily a myth that BC causes weigh gain directly.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    what the pill does do is make you retain water and often increases appetite/cravings for food.

Okay, fine. INDIRECTLY helps in gaining weight. :wink: I do notice that my appetite has significantly decreased since getting off the pill. I'm personally shocked at how much I used to eat vs. how much I eat now. Personally, I don't ever want those kinds of chemicals in my body again...I'm not familiar with the original poster's issue and why they're on it, but I suppose if there was another solution, they wouldn't need to be on the pill.:ohwell:
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this with Yaz, but not usually with the others (I have been on 13 brands)

What brand are you on?
  • charsauce
    Options
    BUMP

I avoided getting the pill because of the horror stories I heard when dealing with weight loss. This thread is so interesting to me!
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    I have heard of this with Yaz, but not usually with the others (I have been on 13 brands)

What brand are you on?

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Yaz. I was always on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, which is the only thing I could get at my health department.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

What brand are you on?

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Yaz. I was always on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, which is the only thing I could get at my health department.