Just Started

Options
Hello All,
I am a 53 year old mother of a middle school child. I would like to loose 10 lbs by April 1st. I am a competitive sail boat racer and need to keep my weight down for that. PLUS ... I am tired of feeling uncomfortable in shorts and swimsuits. I would like be able to wear more fashionable clothes.
Lastly it will be a lot easier on my knees. If you are in the same boat or looking for someone to support you and help keep us both on track please let me know. Sasha

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Competitive sail boat racer, huh? That's pretty awesome.

I like that you selected a sane amount of weight to lose over a reasonable period of time. You could certainly lose 10 lbs over the next 2 months.

If you don't mind me masking a suggestion, I'd build process-goals in behind this desired outcome goal. Some people wind up struggling because they give all their energy to their desired outcome. Not that it's wrong or bad to desire this outcome. It's just not in your immediate control. Whereas process-goals are.

Skills that you can practice daily would fit the idea of process-goals:
    • Eating mostly whole foods
    • Eating 3-4 satiating meals per day without snacking in between
    • Getting a meaningful dose of protein in at each meal
    • Having a hefty portion of fibrous veggies and/or fruit at each meal
    • Minimizing or eliminating calorie-containing beverages
    • Preparing food in advance

On and on it goes. My suggestion would be to list out what you think you'll need to do in order to make this change. What skills will you need to expand on or learn in order to succeed? Then pick the first 1, 2, or 3 that you're ready to start practicing.

I think this is how you start the process of forever change.

Losing 10 lbs is easy.

Keeping it off is something entirely different.

When you make it about practicing skills, it's easier to establish new normals that can support the life and body you want for the long term.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    If you are 10 pounds away from your goal I'd suggest you read some of the threads in the "maintaining weight" section. I also subscribe to the above from strout. Also, not to be critical but you stepped on a pet peeve of mine. You "lose" weight. When you leave the barn door open the cows get "loose". ;-)