Swimming to get fit

Options
Does anyone have tips on swimming to get fit.
I am swimming most days 20 laps of my local 50m pool.
Should I invest in flippers? How do you keep your hair moisturised after swimming in both chlorine and sea water?
What food will give me energy to swim stronger?

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    1km a day swim is awesome! :D

I swim most mornings. More for stress relief and speed goals than to get fit. But I love doing it and it is exercise, so it helps :)

Check that your pool allows flippers, some don't. I have never used those so cannot comment. I do have hand fins for stroke improvement and a float for kick drills though. They are fun.

Hair wise, I wet my hair and put my cap on before I go into the pool. Soaking it with 'normal' water helps keep the chlorine out. Then normal shampoo and conditioner after - not had an issue and swim 4-5 times a week for the past 3 years. Sea water may need a couple of shampoos and a good conditioner to make the most of it.

Food wise - sorry, cannot help, I swim fasted as I know I get hungry after so save breakfast for then :/

not much use there really, sorry - but YAY swimming! :)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Hair wise, I wet my hair and put my cap on before I go into the pool. Soaking it with 'normal' water helps keep the chlorine out. Then normal shampoo and conditioner after - not had an issue and swim 4-5 times a week for the past 3 years.

This took me years to figure out. Getting your hair wet first in the shower makes all the difference. I do use a chlorine shampoo, but probably don’t need to.

I also use the shower as an opportunity to acclimate to water temps. I start with warm water, then gradually turn it up to cool. Then I’m ready to hop right in the pool.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an excellent exercise for cardiovascular health. As your form improves, you should be able to add distance and speed. I can't see a reason to buy fins as they'll just make it easier (negative progression).

Sorry, can't help you with the hair question. ;-)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Good tips above. I'd say you probably don't need fins if you're just doing freestyle swimming for fitness. The only reason I use swim fins is occasionally when practicing drills ( 6/3/6 drill, 6/1/6 drill, torpedo drills, etc. See YouTube for examples) . During these drills, I'm focused on improving my form and the fins help me keep my legs up and body straight in the water.
  • eptanubrata
    eptanubrata Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    1km a day swim is awesome! :D
    I do have hand fins for stroke improvement and a float for kick drills though. They are fun.
    I second the float for kick drills! Pull buoys are great
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing a lot of kicking drills that call for fins, I would not invest in a pair.
    Like others have said above, to improve your fitness level time how long it takes you to do those 20 laps and either work towards decreasing the time it takes, increasing the distance you swim, or increasing the distance within the same time.
    Also think about joining us in the swimmers group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers
  • irisb2004
    irisb2004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try different workiuts rsther than 1K everyday. Here's a set you can try:
    Warm-up 200m freestyle
    100m IM
    200m backstroke
    200m breastroke
    50m butterfly
    And ladder (freestyle):
    300m
    200m
    100m
    100m
    200m
    300m
    Cooldown 50m freestyle

Which gave me a total of 2K in 45min
    Then again i am a competitive swimmer so feel free to reduce the distances or eliminate some strokes. The important is to have fun and switch it up every once in a while :smiley:
  • irisb2004
    irisb2004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As for the hair question try using argan oil after swimming as it nourishes hair nicely. You could also put conditioner on your hair before putting on your cap (just dont put too much or the cap will get slippery)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I love swimming in a 50m pool! The one I've used for ever has been closed for repairs, but is supposed to open once again!

I believe that good swimming technique does not come naturally. (Watching some of the other swimmers in a community pool reinforces that belief.) Feedback from a coach is incredibly helpful and you don't need that many sessions! You can also look at YouTube and various web sites (see below), but a coach will remind you when your technique gets sloppy and identify bad stroke habits before they cause any problems.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Join your local masters club. Nothing like some teammates and a coach to motivate you to swim harder.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are anti chlorine hair products. Search for swimmer shampoo on Amazon.com. Some people like to apply conditioner before putting their cap on.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I use TYR Burner fins for kick focused laps.
    I swim a lot, 4 miles a day on weekdays, because I can't do impact aerobics.
    For the middle 1000 yards I do 500 with the fins and 500 with pull buoy and hand pads.

The only 50m pool I have been in was too hot. about 90°F, had no lane ropes and people were swimming in every direction. No lane etiquette at all.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

You have posted that before: 7000yds a day in a 25yd pool! Amazing!

It would probably take me 2.5 hours to do that and then I'd be out for the count for some time.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I swim in the summer and love it for my only cardio then. 1km-2km every other day on average. I don't use fins or paddles but do use a swimming snorkel.

I shave my head so hair care products don't really matter to me, but skin care can be important. I swim in an outdoor pool so I use a good moisturizing, water-resistant sunscreen. When I get out of the pool I tend to use a soap that is high in moisturizers also but don't do anything beyond that.
  • tfield98
    tfield98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: spend a few dozen dollars and get a private lesson. All of us (from competitive college to newcomers) can use some coaching now and then. It gives you somewhere to put your mind while you're working, and can prevent injuries. For example, fingertip drills can help avoid shoulder problems: https://youtube.com/watch?v=OAqBSgMX3es
  • leeanne_aquilina
    leeanne_aquilina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I couldn't work out how to reply to individual posts.
    I'm a novice/weak swimmer. My plan is slowly working. I do 100m of freestyle, then 100m of breast stroke, keep alterating these two. Somewhere I throw in 100m of kinda back stroke where i focus solely on kicking, this I notice tightens my core muscles.
    I'm thinking of joining a water aerobics class once or twice a week.
    Oh btw I'm 41yrs, was over 115kg but currently 93kgs, mother of 4 adult sons and live in Wollongong Australia where irds the middle of summer.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

You have posted that before: 7000yds a day in a 25yd pool! Amazing!

It would probably take me 2.5 hours to do that and then I'd be out for the count for some time.

Takes me about 2:15. Not fast. Just persistent.