Headaches

Options
Been at this for a month so far 8lbs down but of late Ive been getting headaches come night time anyone think why? I’m trying to drink water a lot more.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Have you cut back on sodas or coffees? Caffeine withdrawal is the most common cause.

What about sugar and/or carbs? Are you low-carbing?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Camposmith wrote: »
    Been at this for a month so far 8lbs down but of late Ive been getting headaches come night time anyone think why? I’m trying to drink water a lot more.

Lots of possibilities here. Have you changed your diet substantially? Given up coffee or soda or other caffeine containing drinks? Giving up caffeine containing drinks can definitely lead to afternoon/evening headache for a few days. Are you using artificial sweeteners? Going the keto route? I've heard that people following a keto diet plan can present with headaches for the first week or so.

Although I'm definitely not a medical professional, I am an expert on food related migraine. I'm very sensitive to artificial sweeteners and other preservatives. Just last night I ate some "no sugar added" canned fruit that had acefulsame K (similar to aspartame) and woke up this morning with a blinding headache. Silly me had not read the label and didn't realize it was a sugar-free product. I'm normally very careful with that, but had slipped up. I also have similar reaction to MSG and sulfites so I have to be careful with Chinese food, processed meats like lunchmeat, sausage and bacon. Those are all migraine triggers for me.

• alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i wonder if it is because there are toxins stored in fat and when the fat breaks down the toxins are released into your bloodstream which can cause headaches. i'd figure maybe do a liver flush which i think is basically drinking orange juice or lemon juice.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Camposmith wrote: »

Have you been drinking excessive amounts of water? Hyponatremia can cause headaches.

Hypoglycemia could be another cause of headaches. Losing 2 lbs a week means you're cutting back on a lot of calories so if you stop eating after having dinner and don't eat anything else for the rest of the night, your blood sugar could drop and result in a headache.

There are a number of other things that cause headaches too, but since your diary is not open and this is all the information you have provided us, there is very little to go on here. Speaking with someone at your doctor's office could provide more clarity for you.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough of something. Watch your macros.
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Not sure however as you probably know already, constant headache's, you should really seek professional medical opinion if they continue.
    Congratulations on your 8lbs weight loss.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    i wonder if it is because there are toxins stored in fat and when the fat breaks down the toxins are released into your bloodstream which can cause headaches. i'd figure maybe do a liver flush which i think is basically drinking orange juice or lemon juice.

No just no. This is terrible advice. This is the kind of advice that the Woo button was made for.

OP what are your stats and how many calories are you eating per day?

• Camposmith
    Camposmith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I’m eating 1,200 cals a day and used to eat sugary carbs too so think it’s the lack of crap that I used to take I took sugar on most things it’s not every day every minute just at late night I find my heads a bit tender I’ve stopped drinking coffee could be that too I’ll keep an eye on it thanks for the advice!
  • saraw6
    saraw6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you drank soda, i.e. Coke, Pepsi, etc., and you stopped, it may be the result of caffeine withdrawal symptoms. You also say that you stopped drinking coffee. What you can do is drink a tiny bit of caffeine. The headache will go away immediately. The important thing is not to suggest to your body you stopped cold turkey, because it really doesn't like that.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    It does seem as if it could be due to diet changes re caffeine/sugar intake. Keep up the water and maybe try saving some calories and eat something a bit later in the evening so you are not hungry.

But if it continues please go and see your doctor and/or optician.