No thyroid? All the problems! Any help appreciated :)

Options
Got on the scale this morning (as I do every Monday morning), and I know that it's just a number, but I gain so quickly. My doctor says it's because I have had my thyroid removed and am chronically hypothyroid for life, but it's frustrating nonetheless. Is anyone in any sort of similar boat? Do you gain weight super easily? How do you cope? How do you adapt to challenges like this?

Replies

• SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you’re properly medicated and eating a calorie controlled diet you should, in theory, be no different to anyone else. I’ve seen others also suggest that if the thyroid does affect metabolism it’s to a very minor extent. Are you currently counting your calories? I have hypothyroidism and used to think that I struggled to lose weight and gained very quickly, but as soon as I started counting and restricting I’ve found that I lose very easily, so it might be something to consider if you’re not doing it already.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »
    If you’re properly medicated and eating a calorie controlled diet you should, in theory, be no different to anyone else. I’ve seen others also suggest that if the thyroid does affect metabolism it’s to a very minor extent. Are you currently counting your calories? I have hypothyroidism and used to think that I struggled to lose weight and gained very quickly, but as soon as I started counting and restricting I’ve found that I lose very easily, so it might be something to consider if you’re not doing it already.

Less than a 5% difference when medicated.

That’s the one, thanks ^.^
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My sister hasn't had a thyroid for years, but has always kept herself properly medicated. She has always maintained a healthy weight.

Having said that, her eating habits are what's kept her that way. She's always been very good at eating the right amount of calories and staying active.

If you're on the right amount of meds, it should not have a significant effect on your ability to lose or maintain weight. I'd recommend looking into your calorie intake as it's very likely that's where your problem really lies.
  • hippopotamuses
    hippopotamuses Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been severely hypothyroid since I was 12, and I feel your pain. While I am able to lose weight, it is generally slow and arduous. I'm generally a super healthy person-- I exercise five days a week, eat a low-fat, plant-based, calories-restricted diet, but unless I consciously count calories and I'm meticulous about staying on track, I gain weight in no time. It sucks.

While I'm here to lose weight, I've learned that even with a low-calorie and exercise, my set point weight seems to be in the overweight range. I'm trying to work with my body instead of fighting it, and a lot of that comes from listening to it, feeding it healthily, and focusing on well-being rather than getting dead-set on a particular weight. It probably doesn't help that I am built like a rugby player too... I don't have a lot of advice, other than I hear you, and it's good to remind yourself that health and weight are related, but one does not automatically equal the other.
  • Akkael
    Akkael Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes! I find it way difficult to lose and keep off the weight. People say as long as your meds are right you shouldn’t have a problem. Doctors can’t agree on what is right. I find that when I stay low carb higher protein I do much better. However when I have too many carbs gaining will be quick. No thyroid is different than just hypothyroid. Exercise is a must, too.