Ab workouts- When is it worth working them out

Options
Curious on this. People are always told the obvious. Abs are created in the kitchen. But if you still have layers of fat, is it worth working out at the moment? if not then when is it a good time?

i would think it wouldnt matter as its still a form of exercise but maybe i am wrong. What do you say?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I considering having good core muscles to be a benefit even if there is fat covering them up. That's why I've always included ab exercises in my routine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Abs are created in the gym and revealed in the kitchen.
    Core exercises are always worthwhile, for many reasons, regardless of appearance.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

raven56706 wrote: »
    Curious on this. People are always told the obvious. Abs are created in the kitchen. But if you still have layers of fat, is it worth working out at the moment? if not then when is it a good time?

i would think it wouldnt matter as its still a form of exercise but maybe i am wrong. What do you say?

See my profile pic for my answer to that.

I had 20ish more pounds of body fat in that photo.... 255+ LBS
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, that even if you can't see them yet, I think that having a strong core is beneficial. I never included core work until recently, and I feel it has benefited me in other things. It has helped improve form and stability on other lifts, which I enjoy.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Abs are created in the gym and revealed in the kitchen.
    Core exercises strength and stability are always worthwhile, for many reasons, regardless of appearance.

Completely agree, with one small change in semantics.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I started doing bodyweight exercises a few months ago, and then about six weeks ago upped the length and frequency that I was working out and try to include 1-2 core focused workouts a week. I am still over-fat (just a hair into obese) but I've noticed distinct improvements in balance and strength across the board. Also, core workouts in particular feel great after a long day at the computer. No one will be complementing my abs any time soon (if ever), but it's still more than worth it for me.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It’s the best time to work them. If you want more obvious visible abs to show once all the fat is gone you need to work them while you’re still capable of building some muscle.

Abs are like any muscle group. A surplus is required to actually feed muscle growth.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    Is this a legitimate question?

A strong core is pretty dang important in most anything you would do in your life, so why wouldn't you work your abs (as part of your core) regardless of some excess fat?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The development of core strength is always important but ab specific exercises are unnecessary, if you are doing compound lift and body weight exercises like DLs, SQTs, BPs, OHPs, Farmer's Walks, pushups, pullups and dips because they all involve your core in the process.

If you do this and lose enough weight and BF, you'll then see the result of your efforts but, even if you don't lose weight/BF, your core strength will be there regardless.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Layers of fat" is a complete irrelevance to me as I don't train for aesthetics.

I train my core (including abs but not just abs) to help compensate for a damaged back and getting strong (but hidden!) abs & other core muscles transformed my quality of life and reduced the number of bad back episodes.
    It also made a huge difference to my cycling, far better endurance, comfort and also improved pedalling efficiency.

"Abs are created in the kitchen" = one of the dumbest sayings ever! How many people train in the kitchen? ;)
    (Why not simply just say abs aren't visible until you have low bodyfat? )

• ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm never going to show my abs off, my tummy is loaded with surgical scars, but that is the part of my body I am most focused on. I know a stronger core will help me overall, help with back pain, and probably help me if I need more surgery, hopefully never or at least years and years down the road.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    i do ab exercises at the end of every workout. No one will ever see my abs
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I always view performance as the goal and aesthetics as the side effect for abs or any other muscles. Health and fitness is far more important than if you have a six pack, and core is far more than the visible six pack, as mentioned above.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I feel direct core work is important for everyone. Nothing to do with aesthetics, or having a 6 pack. Having a strong core will benefit you in everything. It will strengthen your back and keep your spine healthy. That's my most important reasons for it. And, I'm also not one to say that just heavy barbell lifting is enough. Will it strengthen your core, yes, but I prefer to never let my core strength be a limiting factor in anything I do.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I feel direct core work is important for everyone. Nothing to do with aesthetics, or having a 6 pack. Having a strong core will benefit you in everything. It will strengthen your back and keep your spine healthy. That's my most important reasons for it. And, I'm also not one to say that just heavy barbell lifting is enough. Will it strengthen your core, yes, but I prefer to never let my core strength be a limiting factor in anything I do.

for someone that has never directly worked core (aside from compound lifts), are there certain exercises or a program targeting abs that you (or anyone) would recommend?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

for someone that has never directly worked core (aside from compound lifts), are there certain exercises or a program targeting abs that you (or anyone) would recommend?

@crossfit_dottir posted a core dance workout for those who are masochists. ;)

For lifters this article might be a good start for ideas https://www.t-nation.com/training/total-core-training-for-lifters
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

For lifters this article might be a good start for ideas https://www.t-nation.com/training/total-core-training-for-lifters

thank you!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

That's a really good article, thank you.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Start with planks,

Phase 1. Standing or Superman.
    Standing(as it sounds)-with feet shoulder width, bring light tension into your whole body from the toes through the legs, glutes, abs, shoulders, and arms(raise them into the "pushup position") Practice for 10-30 seconds. Don't tense your head or neck, and make a note of your head position.
    Superman-Laying flat on your face/belly Arms extended above/over head. neck neutral as before. Bring tension as above

Phase 2. High
    From Superman, instead of keeping arms above head, bring them under your shoulders and straighten them as you bring the tension. Hold for 10-30 seconds. Lower... Do not flop. Tension should come and go from your body and your posture in a controlled manner. Once 30 seconds is comfortable, work up to 60.

Phase 3. Low
    From High. Lower forward to 90 degree elbow bend with chest/belly just above the ground(no touching or resting) Hold for 5-10 seconds. Raise back to High and recover as above.

Phase 4. Advanced. From High begin lifting one foot or hand without compromising the head to toe plank in the rest of your structure. Progress to both one hand and one foot(probably counter :trollface: ) and then progress to bringing your hands/elbow/knees to different orientations.

Phase 5. Elite. from a 3/2 point stance go to Low and hold for 5-10 seconds and raise back up.

TL;DR Do slow pushups/One hand/One foot pushups
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I still waiting for you to put on a leotard and do the core dance...

Well, the leotard is out at the cleaner...for years now. ;) I did actually try some of it a couple nights ago. It's not too different than some of the stuff I used to do for kick boxing and Kenpo training since a strong core is important for organ protection. It's a lot more difficult than I seem to remember...no wait, it was bad back then too lol.

I'm planning on trying to work up to do much of that routine so thanks for posting. It has given me something to work towards as a fitness goal. :)