Morbidly obese, lower back hurts when walking

Options
2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have one, you might want to consider an orthopedic seat cushion for sitting long periods at work. Takes the pressure off the low back.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If pool exercise is too difficult to organize I would urge you to see if you can incorporate 3 minutes breaks (250 steps) every hour.

Or if you can arrange to pace while on the phone.

Uncertain quality but they do make under desk bikes (just the pedal assembly)

But, you should be aware that your weight loss will be primarily driven by your eating, not your exercise decisions.

Make it a rule to not put anything in your mouth unless and until you've logged it.

Then review your log and evaluate the items you ate. What needs did they fullfil? Satiaty, taste, hedonism, comfort, what have you. Then evaluate if they were worth the calories from your budget. If not, change and modify them!

Not a bad idea on the under desk bike. However I'm 6'2" like the OP and the one's I was seeing really didn't fit for someone much more than 5'8".
  • try2again
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Lots of good advice already. I would consider talking to a doctor and/or a physical therapist before starting an exercise program. I would bet the back pain is due to the extra weight, in addition to all the sitting. It would be good to be cleared of any other issues though. I'm normal weight for my height and have had crawling to the toilet level back pain. After MRI, x-rays and an exam by one of the best neurosurgeons in our area I had piriformis syndrome. Asked what was the cause, he said too much sitting (even though I lift and walk/run).

@Packerjohn - May I ask what kind of treatment you're receiving for the piriformis syndrome? My husband has this due to an injury at work several years ago and they didn't have much to offer him besides PT and cortisone injections.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    If you don't already have one, you might want to consider an orthopedic seat cushion for sitting long periods at work. Takes the pressure off the low back.

Also does your workplace provide adjustable workstations allowing you to sit or stand. Alternating positions can help with back issues, the body doesn't like to stay in one position. If your workplace doesn't offer them to anyone that requests, speak to your doctor or physical therapist. The workplace needs to provide one as a reasonable accommodation (based on US laws at least) if the doctor or PT provides notice it would be beneficial for you.
  • Kaysra
    Kaysra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can so identify with your back pain issues! After two knee replacements, I found that I still had problems walking due to low back pain. I have been gradually adding time to my walks, and it is working. I want to second the idea about a good aqua aerobics program. I found that I could do incredible things in water that I couldn't do on dry land and I really got a good workout. Also, about shoes...very important. I have found the absolute best shoes for walking can be found online at www.orthofeet.com. Take a look at their website - they show you how their shoes are built. It makes such a big difference! They are the best shoes I have ever worn and I now won't wear anything else. Congratulations on your effort to lose the weight. It is a constant struggle. At this stage, diet is more important than exercise. I recommend cutting fat to less than 15g per day. I have been losing 1 to 2 pounds a week using this simple metric. Good luck!
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Lots of good advice already. I would consider talking to a doctor and/or a physical therapist before starting an exercise program. I would bet the back pain is due to the extra weight, in addition to all the sitting. It would be good to be cleared of any other issues though. I'm normal weight for my height and have had crawling to the toilet level back pain. After MRI, x-rays and an exam by one of the best neurosurgeons in our area I had piriformis syndrome. Asked what was the cause, he said too much sitting (even though I lift and walk/run).

@Packerjohn - May I ask what kind of treatment you're receiving for the piriformis syndrome? My husband has this due to an injury at work several years ago and they didn't have much to offer him besides PT and cortisone injections.

@try2again, I had the PS issue several years ago. At that time the neurosurgeon said I has PS as well as SI joint inflammation, both basically from sitting too much (office job with long hours and long commute). I worked with the PT for exercises and I really hit them hard. He told me to do them once a day, I asked if it was okay to do them 4-5 times a day. He told me to build up a bit but that would be fine. I also avoided sitting as much as possible. With PS, when you sit, you are basically sitting on the already inflamed prirfomis, just making the issue worse. Got an adjustable workstation for my job and stood most of the day. Would avoid siting in chairs when I was around my house. Doctor said when the inflammation cleared up work the posterior chain muscles at the gym(squats, deadlifts, hamstring work, etc).
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Ok well... i'm just going to put myself out there... I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere or this isn't the proper location.

Me: 6'2" 420lbs, Male, 30

I've never been very active but even less so in the last year thanks to an ankle injury. I work in sales (phone) so I'm at a desk all day and I don't go out very much.

I want to start walking. Even if it's just around the block, I want to do something every day. My issues is I get sharp pain in my lower back if I walk for more than about 10 minutes. I'm sure it's due to my sedentary lifestyle.

Are there stretches or something I should be doing first? i considered getting a recumbent bike, would that help?

First step is to get your back pain checked out by a dr, for possible spinal issues going on.

As for excercise, try exercising in the water. Programs like the YMCA often have pools and water fitness classes. Such classes include water walking/jogging, aqua fitness classes including water Zumba. And of course there is always lap swimming if you know how to swim. My YMCA offers adult swimming lessons, so even not knowing how to swim is no reason to not try swimming.

Certain cardio equipment is easier to use. Recumbent bike and recumbent elliptical are great choices usually for heavy persons.

My YMCA has a free 12 week program you work with a fitness instructor 1 on 1. That instructor teaches you the cardio machines you could try or what you shouldn't try, and also how to use the resistance machines and free weights.

Congratulations on choosing to improve your health. I hope my post is helpful. Enjoy the journey.
  • try2again
    Options

@try2again, I had the PS issue several years ago. At that time the neurosurgeon said I has PS as well as SI joint inflammation, both basically from sitting too much (office job with long hours and long commute). I worked with the PT for exercises and I really hit them hard. He told me to do them once a day, I asked if it was okay to do them 4-5 times a day. He told me to build up a bit but that would be fine. I also avoided sitting as much as possible. With PS, when you sit, you are basically sitting on the already inflamed prirfomis, just making the issue worse. Got an adjustable workstation for my job and stood most of the day. Would avoid siting in chairs when I was around my house. Doctor said when the inflammation cleared up work the posterior chain muscles at the gym(squats, deadlifts, hamstring work, etc).

Thanks for the info, @Packerjohn . Hubby has an active job and is a lifter, or else he would probably be much worse off. However, his is a chronic situation due to severe scarring from his injury, so I guess there are just limits as to what can be done. :(
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Thanks for the info, @Packerjohn . Hubby has an active job and is a lifter, or else he would probably be much worse off. However, his is a chronic situation due to severe scarring from his injury, so I guess there are just limits as to what can be done. :(

@try2again That sucks. Yes, I'm sure his fitness level helps the situation. Has he tried another doctor/PT?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with going slow. Perhaps even see a physiotherapist for core strengthening guidance and exercises.

I had a bad back for years. I ignored it and tried to strengthen it myself and that losing 30lbs might help. I eventually burst a disc and ended up with some permanent paralysis down one leg.

Be careful. Getting professional advice could not hurt.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem I am 5’9’ female weighting 213 currently and when I walk run do and elliptical or even stand still for 10 mins or more my back hurts. I have found that the recumbent bike it’s pretty comfortable for me to do cardio on.
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Some ibuprofen might help, I have back pain and after a few ibuprofen it goes away... Use responsibly, consult a doctor yada yada yada
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I started at 5'3" and 280 lbs, so I sympathize. I used to get really bad plantar fasciitis where it hurt just to stand on my feet. If your back pain is a symptom of your weight it will get better as you lose.

It's been said already but worth repeating, buy good walking shoes. You may have to replace them frequently too, but I have found as I lost weight my shoes began lasting me longer. All those worn out walking shoes were money well spent.

I enjoyed the pool when my feet hurt. You can get a good workout without all that stress from gravity. Cycling is a good workout too that can take some pressure off. An upright or recumbent bike is much more comfortable when you have some tummy. Getting up a hill when you are heavy is a serious cardio workout, and getting back down the hill even more fun.

As for stretching I look up "gentle yoga" on YouTube. I have done several different videos and they all give good whole body stretches without a lot of jumping around and tying yourself in knots.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Start by working it into your lifestyle as well. Park a bit further away... or if you're feeling particularly sparky, a lot further away. If you can walk a bit further to the bathroom, take the extra 30-45 seconds/steps.

Small moves.

A step tracker or movement tracker that buzzes every hour or 30 minutes to remind you to get up and move a bit.

Even if that's just standing up and doing some half squats or lunges.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

@try2again That sucks. Yes, I'm sure his fitness level helps the situation. Has he tried another doctor/PT?

I have had issues with PS... I'm a runner but I sit at a desk all day. I can tell that I get PS flares when I am "off" in my SI joint so I do see a chiropractor on a regular basis (fortnightly). I know that's somewhat controversial, but my chiro is also a physical therapist so it works for me. Obviously the PT aspect is good--lots of strengthening of the posterior chain--I try to incorporate some component of that into my after-run workouts. Finally, I do yoga 3 or 4 times a week (usually vinyasa but also some yin)--the deep stretching of the hips is a great release. My husband also has PS--I've been forcing him to come to yoga with me (it's amazing how inflexible he is) and he feels like that is helping him, too.