Any views on Keto diet?

Options
I've been changing my lifestyle to a more healthier one for about a year now and have lost 92 pounds but I have reached a plateau. Was thinking about trying the Keto diet.

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    First of all FANTASTIC job for losing 92lbs!!

How long has you weight loss stalled? You only need a deficit to lose weight. Are you weighing your intake with a food scale?
  • getsmallerhikelonger
    Options
    I don't personally follow it but my mom does and it's done wonders for her. I've heard a lot of people breaking through plateaus by restricting carbs - a change really does make a difference.

I would HIGHLY recommend doing a lot to research the diet because there's quite a bit of misinformation out there. Keto =/= gobs of fat. It should be similar amounts (in grams) of protein and fat with very limited carbs. Stay away from keto gimmicks like bulletproof coffee and fat bombs and DO NOT forget to have plenty of salt intake!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's as simple as this: some people find fat more satiating, and for them a ketogenic diet can be effective in controlling calorie intake/blunting appetite. But the bottom line is that weight loss is dictated by consuming less calories than you expend, regardless of what your carb/fat/protein balance is. There is no "metabolic advantage" to a ketogenic/low-carb diet over any other diet.

Keto dieters often experience a rapid weight loss in the early stages due to water/glycogen depletion (every molecule of carbohydrate is bonded to 3 molecules of water). They mistake the water/glycogen weight loss for rapid fat loss, which is misleading and paints a false picture of what is actually happening.

There are a lot of mystical, magical claims about ketogenic diets, but actual science doesn't bear them out. Quite the opposite, in fact. The bottom line is that calories still matter.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, we got views.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I can't see myself doing keto or anything else more restrictive than counting calories. Too much extra effort. Someone around here should post the flowchart. You are probably just eating more than you think.

Also, congrats on the 92 pounds! Great job.
  • webby39
    webby39 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I actually just started Keto today lol
  • gburbake
    gburbake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It your situation it you should have great results with that. If your stuck then this will kick start it. It’s very effective of your strict.
  • clendermonallk
    clendermonallk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the ketogenics diet in August of 2017. Started this because I needed help in controling my hypoglycemia.Not only has it controlled my blood sugar but I have also lost 27 lbs since starting.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It can be great if it suits your health needs or helps you reduce hunger and cravings. It works well for me. YMMV
  • L2TheDen
    L2TheDen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Keeping track and weighing your food will also really help with the diet and keeping your macros in line
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Really useful thread here.

Could anyone offer advice on how to eat 4000 calories on keto? Seems like it's impossible not to exceed 20g of net carbs when you eat that much. Or do I increase the allotment proportionately?
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out is old science because it is so difficult to maintain. New science is proving that weight control is about controlling the insulin in your body....that is why the keto diet works. Go to www.dietdoctor.com for info, recipes, etc.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mikeb4bjj wrote: »
    Really useful thread here.

Could anyone offer advice on how to eat 4000 calories on keto? Seems like it's impossible not to exceed 20g of net carbs when you eat that much. Or do I increase the allotment proportionately?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRop_ltYUlk
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    ketofire51 wrote: »
    Calories in/calories out is old science because it is so difficult to maintain. New science is proving that weight control is about controlling the insulin in your body....that is why the keto diet works. Go to www.dietdoctor.com for info, recipes, etc.

...aaaand we're off.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

That's not science. That's woo.

And dietdoctor is one of the biggest scam sites on the internet. It's a keto propaganda page full of junk science and half-truths.
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Non sequitur with shady link? I'm good.