Help figuring out correct calories in fruits/veggies

Options
mmsmfp
mmsmfp Posts: 8 Member
Got a question....what is the best way to determine calorie counts for fruits and veggies? When I weigh them on my digital scale I’ve been doing it a couple ways, sometimes I go by grams and other times by ounces. For instance, if I have a banana I’ve been peeling it and then weighing it by grams. Or if I have cherry tomatoes I’ve been weighing them by ounces. Lettuce I will weigh by ounce rather than by cups like it says on some packaging. Oranges I will peel and weigh by grams. I don’t know what way is accurate!! I have the hardest time with fruits/veggies, which is the worst because then I avoid eating them just because I don’t know if I’m accurate about calories. What is correct? Please help! Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Both are accurate. Depending on your scale, grams will probably give you a little more precision (my scale only goes to 1/8 of an ounce, others have ones that go to 1/100).
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I always weigh in grams because I feel it's the most accurate.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I weigh in grams not because it is the most accurate per se but it is the easiest to adjust. If I figure everything is a 100-gram serving size if I have a 120 g the math is easy... 1.2 servings. Either ounces or grams are correct... It's just easier to do the math for different serving sizes with grams
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Both will work. I often use ounces because I'm American and I'm more familiar with what 8 oz is vs whatever that is in grams. I can usually find fruits and veggies from the USDA database in 100 gram increments, so I use that too.
  • mmsmfp
    mmsmfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies it helps a lot! :-)