Sugar detox --> blood sugar crashes, dangerous?

Hi all,

I'm really needing to do a sugar detox. Sweets are by far my biggest weight loss downfall, and unfortunately I'm off the wagon again

I'd like to just go cold turkey, but I'm wondering is that safe? When I do cut out added sugar completely, I get terrible blood sugar lows where I feel like I'm going to pass out (shaky, hot, nauseous).

I am not diabetic, although I suspect I may have some sort of insulin resistance issue.

Is it safe to cut out sugar cold turkey? Ideally, I'd like to do a Whole30 type thing where I'm also cutting carbs, dairy, etc. If it's not safe, how do I safely wean from sugar?

Thanks!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Look up hypoglycaemia. Good news; mixed macro snack (fat, carb, protein) is the ideal recovery food if you ever get shaky. Not sugar.

Mixed macro snacks include protein bars (I suggest half a bar), Edamame beans, nuts of all kinds, and hikers mix.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Yes it is safe.
    I have had reactive hypoglycaemia. When I eat very low carb my symptoms disappear. YMMV
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Yes it is safe.
    I have had reactive hypoglycaemia. When I eat very low carb my symptoms disappear. YMMV

I also have reactive hypoglylcemia. When I tried out low carbs it actually exacerbated it, along with my migraines. I think it just comes down to an individual thing because I've met others who say it they do better with low carb and others who are similar to me and it actually creates a negative reaction.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Yes it is safe.

I also have reactive hypoglylcemia. When I tried out low carbs it actually exacerbated it, along with my migraines. I think it just comes down to an individual thing because I've met others who say it they do better with low carb and others who are similar to me and it actually creates a negative reaction.

For me, it took some time to get through it. A few days. After a day or two I had enough ketones for brain fuel so my brain was not creating those symptoms to eat.

If you don't add more sodium the loss of water and electrolytes will definitely cause headaches or migraines. It's possible that was part of the situation for you.

But you are right, everybody is different.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    If you crash: do you actually feel better again if you at that moment eat sugar? Asking because I had similar symptoms but in my case it was something different.
  • Smiler_85
    Smiler_85 Posts: 11 Member
    It's interesting that you posted this today, only this morning I was thinking about cutting out artificial sugar and how it might affect me. So thank you to everyone who has posted answers relating to this.
    rrj242 wrote: »
    I'm cutting sugar because I personally cannot moderate my intake of it. I find it easier to have none than to have a small portion (tasting it triggers the craving and leads to a binge).

The above quote is my issue also. For whatever reason unknown to me, the minute I have anything artificially sweet pass through my lips, I am pretty much screwed for the rest of the day. This may be complete psychological BS, but it happens. And in the past when I have tried to fight my demons on it, I get so incredibly grumpy!

So I'm considering giving up artificial sugar for a while. Only the artificial kind though, I don't seem to have the same issues when I consume natural sugar. Plus there is too much I would have to cut out of my diet if I got rid of ALL sugars... Correct me if I'm wrong, but natural sugar is also in vegetables, right? I eat lots of veggies every day!

I've done it before for a short while and found that it improved my sense of taste, so I'm going to try it again but for longer this time.

And ultimately, I hope it will help me on my weight-loss journey one way or another. Got quite a way to go and I think I know where I'm going wrong, and not just by having artificial sugar. This is probably a very small part of the issue, but it is a healthy thing to consider changing.
  • rrj242
    rrj242 Posts: 7 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    If you crash: do you actually feel better again if you at that moment eat sugar? Asking because I had similar symptoms but in my case it was something different.

Nibbling something always makes me feel better. Normally a cracker or nuts. May I ask what it was for you?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Nibbling something always makes me feel better. Normally a cracker or nuts. May I ask what it was for you?

All I'm saying is that it might not be sugar after all, but there are many things that could cause this. If eating sugar your blood sugar should come up quickly again if this is the culprit. It could also simply be hunger from undereating, you know.

My case is probably super rare, so don't count on that. I found I would often get dizzy and weak in the morning, brain absent, tunnel vision just staring ahead with a waxy complexion. And eating everything in sight, but nothing helped. Things got better during dinner, but problems came back the next morning though a bit weaker. Usually gone again after 5 days. Then I realised the difference between daytime and evening food: bread and stuff on it, yoghurt, fruit and veggies, there might be a candy and soda machine. Evening: proper dinner. The difference is: salt. I'd get most of my daily salt allowance in the evening. Eating salt during the next attack it vanished within a few minutes and didn't come back the next day. But eating more salt also fixed lots of other problems for me, like not being thirsty anymore, no more constipation, no more endless caughing about workouts, no more dry eyes, nose, etc.. it's as if my body is less dried out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I know if I'm still eating a lot of fruit, carbs, starchy veggies, etc., my body will still be getting a sugar fix, which is why I'd like to do a bit of a reset on a Whole30 plan (or something similar) until I break the habit.

Do you really find that eating fruit or plain potato with some meat and veg or greek yogurt and nuts causes you to crave sweets (as in dessert type foods)? That might affect what you do.

Whole 30 (which admittedly I think is based on a bunch of fake scientific claims) does NOT cut out fruit or starchy carbs like tubers (it used to cut potatoes but not sweet potatoes, now both are fine, and the reason for cutting potatoes was silly). It does cut out all dairy (including butter and cheese, which aren't carby at all) and whole grains and legumes (meaning peanuts, peas, beans and lentils, etc.).

I think it cuts out foods that are objectively good for most people, doesn't do anything if one's issue is carbs (unless one just doesn't eat a lot of the most nutrient dense carbs), and -- as I said -- is based on a false premise. IMO, if you think you have food sensitivities, it's not a great approach, working with a dietitian would be better. But it doesn't sound like you think you have food sensitivities, just that you have control issues with sweet foods.
    Getting back to the point - I know for a fact I get these low blood sugar spells when I make big diet changes like this. I also get them if I'm pregnant and miss a meal. Nibbling on something always solves the problem, but I don't know how great a danger there was to begin with, which is why I made the post.

When you make big diet changes are you cutting cals a lot?

When I cut out snacking I missed it a lot at first and so allowed myself to nibble on raw veg between meals. I stopped feeling like I needed to within a week. If you feel like you need food and might have blood sugar issue, maybe that won't do it, but I'd recommend NOT something super carby (fast carb) but a mixed macro meal, as someone else also suggested. Maybe even something low carb and higher in protein and fat -- mixed = berries (not dried) and nuts or maybe with a little full fat greek yogurt (plain). Low carb = just nuts or a boiled egg or some cheese for just a few ideas. Keep track of your reaction to different things.

If you want to cut out added sugar, do it, but some people find making something off limits tends to exacerbate their lack of control when they do eat it, so it might take some experimentation to find what works for you.