Vegan savory breakfast ideas

Options
I cannot come up with any ideas besides bread (not the ideal for me) and some vegan cheese?
Could you share your meals with me? I definitely need some inspiration

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    oops
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Some ideas:

Savory oats. Basically oatmeal with vegetables and nuts, whatever combination sounds good to you.

Also, no need to stick to traditional breakfast foods -- I figure beans and rice is a decent sub for oats sometimes.

If you like toast, avocado toast.

Vegetable tofu scramble. (One recipe: https://www.thefullhelping.com/classic-tofu-scramble-recipe/)

Breakfast burrito -- tons of alternatives, here's one: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/23/high-protein-vegan-breakfast-burrito/
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I like to dice potatoes, bell peppers, and onions together and fry them up with a tiny bit of canola oil. Then serve with ketchup. If you microwave the potatoes the night before and refrigerate them whole it's very quick and the potatoes absorb less oil so you can use less.

Tofu scramble is good if you haven't experimented with it. Here's a good one:

https://hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2014/7/11/the-perfect-tofu-scramble

I use red onion instead of shallot and I find it's best with some added spinach and halved grape tomatoes at the end, imo. It's good with or without sriracha.

Roasted sweet potato with black beans and salsa is good.

Also, this may sound weird, but I like leftover lasagna, microwaved for breakfast. Here's a good low-cal vegan one:

healthylivingwithkimberly.com/lasagna

I make a banana drink that is pretty savory out of soy milk, nutritional yeast, flaxeed, and banana. You can also use almond milk to save some calories, if that's an issue for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I like a savory breakfast so I usually just have leftovers from a previous night's dinner.

If I don't have leftovers, I'll have a frozen breakfast burrito, avocado toast, or tofu scramble.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    One of my "go-to's': 1/4 green & 1/4 red bell pepper (or 1/2 of 1, whatever I have on hand) & a Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage sautéed up, then topped with cheese (I do eat regular cheese, sub with your fave veeg-cheeze). So easy to make 1 to eat then & prep one for another meal @ the same time.

Or I'll do a tofu-scramble. Plus there are plenty of recipes for an eggless quiche. I adore "Sarah's Vegan Kitchen" (website as well as YouTube channel), she has so many delish recipes. She is another one who prefers savory breakfasts, so I'm sure you will find some inspiration there.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Also, this may sound weird, but I like leftover lasagna, microwaved for breakfast. Here's a good low-cal vegan one:

healthylivingwithkimberly.com/lasagna

I make a banana drink that is pretty savory out of soy milk, nutritional yeast, flaxeed, and banana. You can also use almond milk to save some calories, if that's an issue for you.

Hmmm...this is like the 3rd post I've seen with the link to this lasagna on it! Think that may be a sign I'm meant to try this then. Looks like I've got my dinner idea for Thursday night!

And that banana drink sounds...interesting. How much of each do you put in it? Would chocolate almond milk work?
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Beans and corn torts. I eat that probably 75%of my breakfasts.
    Check out Vegan Brunch cookbook for a most excellent vegan omelette recipe (makes 4 and they store well), and the red flannel hash is terrific!
    Trader Joe’s Soy chorizo (or Soyrizo if you don’t have a TJ’s, though TJ’s is tastier) stirred up with sautéed peppers and onions.
    Hummus and....
    Eat dinner at breakfast. Nothing wrong with that!
    Love Daiya “cheese” on anything.
  • numbersplusword
    numbersplusword Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know a bunch of other people have said tofu scramble, but that’s because it’s honestly the easiest, most customizable, and best breakfast ever. I usually make one of those with tonnnns of veggies and eat it with either roasted potatoes or avocado toast.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/vegan-vegetarian-sausage-patties-380398?ftab=reviews i found this recipe checking if Morningstar Farms veggie sausages were vegan or not. (they aren't, they have milk ingredients) but this recipe is vegan and sounds really good. imma have to try it. one savory breakfast i have sometimes is veggie sausages and grits.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Mashed chickpeas, cooked up with nuts, liquid smoke, bit of mustard. Maybe serve with avocado and tomatoes
  • DisneyVeganLove
    DisneyVeganLove Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake most days. I've made vegan quiche and cut it up into slices and froze them for days I want something different. Vegan pancakes, muffins.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm having this for lunch today, but I can't see why you couldn't have it for breakfast - it's both sweet and savoury and really yummy: Jasmine rice (+a little salt), sliced banana, salted peanuts. Cucumber sticks, glass of milk (or veganalternative).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Today I had a big salad with butter lettuce, spinach, half an orange, roasted brussels and half a turnip, radish, carrots, and cauliflower, plus some tofu and walnuts. Weird breakfast, maybe, but what I was in the mood for.

Years and years ago before I really cooked (and when I was vegetarian) I used to be obsessed with these packaged beans and rice, and kommodevaran reminds me that I'd make it breakfasty by adding in a bit of heated up banana. Nuts would have been good too.

• michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I like savory breakfast. I've been eating a lot of chinese rice porridge with vegetables (surely there's a vegan recipe out there). Also, I'm planning on having Ful Mudammas for breakfast sometime soon: Egyptian fava bean breakfast. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/ful-mudammas-egyptian-breakfast-fava-beans-recipe.html