Atkins and Lifting

Options
I was just cleared by my doctor to start "light exercising" after an ankle surgery I can't do much on my feet since ankle is still recovering. While I was recovering 12 weeks ago I gained about 20 pounds since I was not doing any type or exercise. In order to lose the weight I decided I wanted to try Atkins or some type of low carb diet, while incorporating at least 30 minutes of cardio whether it's the stationary bike or HIIT training. I will also be lifting 3 days a week. Will lifting and cardio affect me wanting to also start Atkins? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your question but wondered if you plan to do Atkins for the rest of your life?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    OP, may I ask you why or in what way you think think exercise would affect your way or eating in this case?

Also, are you particularly drawn to Atkins for any reason?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since you haven't exercised for 12 weeks, I encourage you start lightly at 3 days, then pace yourself as you work back up a full schedule,
  • themattcass
    themattcass Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Once you become fat adapted, you won't see much performance degradation in HIIT type exercise. One thing I did to get through the adaptation period is to add a pre-workout supplement. Another option would be to add in some MCT oil right before your workouts (assuming you are choosing a ketosis type lifestyle). Atkins (or HFLC) gives quite a performance boost with aerobic type exercise.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!