Question for other ladies out there!

Options
Hey ladies! I have a bit of a personal question here! Is it normal to gain weight on your period?

I had a bad diet day over the weekend (2 pieces of pizza, a couple cookies, and a few mixed drinks). I am currently on my period but back to following my healthy diet. I stepped on the scale this morning and am up five pounds?? Did one bad day actually set me back that far?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    High sodium, more food than usual, alcohol, higher carbohydrates than usual, beginning your period . . . all of these things can be associated with temporary water retention. It sounds like you've possibly hit all of those in the past few days, so I wouldn't be worried about what you see on the scale today.
  • 150Bound2014
    150Bound2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention from the period. Don't let it discourage you. Keep your eye on the big prize and keep going. I know it sucks, but you got this!!
  • JSEleven11
    JSEleven11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    extra water for a few days with your normal healthy diet and you will be good to go!
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah it's normal to gain weight during your period! I don't weigh myself during my period.

It will all be fine next week. Good job on jumping back on the wagon.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I put on 5 lb overnight right before my period. It’s normal. Keep an eye on your weight trend over time. Putting too much stock in the daily numbers will drive you crazy. I weigh each day but use an app to show the trends.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    usually water weight- as long as I don't go bonkers eating to much- make a note of it and move on- you either accept they are numbers that flux and it's a tool- or you just don't pay attention so you cant' get worked up by it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes I normally weigh a couple lbs more at the start of my period.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    (2 pieces of pizza, a couple cookies, and a few mixed drinks).

there's about 3700 calories in a single pound of 'real' fat iirc. so unless you think your treats took you 18500 calories over whatever your maintenance calories are . . . :tongue:

i think you'll be fine.

• mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have had a few months where I gained close to 10lbs due to my period. It always comes right back off. I just stay away from a scale the week before.....
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yep the bloating & water retention UGH :|:/
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for period weight gain anymore but I tend to eat like an idiot on the weekend and it shows on Monday. It drops over the course of the week. The last time I had pizza or McDonalds my weight jumped a good 4 lbs. I weigh every day and track it so that's a trend I recognize and don't worry about.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Yes. In addition to the excellent insights above, if you want to do "more" to address this temporary issue see this website:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-ways-to-reduce-water-retention#section7
  • LillyAKAChubbyUnicorn6456
    Options
    Totally normal for me to gain weight during that week. I also notice my cravings go through the darned roof. Not necessarily for "bad" food, just MORE food. ;o) I use this a great deal to find fixes for my cravings, if it helps?
    https://www.noom.com/blog/2017/02/100-ways-save-100-calories/