Cardio girl needs to start weight training. Tips?

Options
I have a "free" session at my gym and thought i'd use it to kickstart a weight training routine. Admittedly, I'm intimidated; but I know I need it. Maybe a trainer isn't the best place to start? Any apps/tips/suggestions on starting at a very basic level? Would love feedback and/or friends on here who know more about this foreign territory. :) thanks!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If the trainer is a good one, that's a great way to start. But it's a complete crap shoot as to whether they will be or not.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Definitely use a trainer. There is a science to weightlifting, and quite different ways of doing it depending on your desired outcome (Endurance? Hypertrophy? Strength?). I took a course on weightlifting in college, and I still learned more from my bodybuilding friend once we started lifting together back in the day.
  • g00286581
    g00286581 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am in samé boat, I would love to start but it scares me so much !!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I bought a book (Strength Training Exercises for Women, by Joan Pagano). For me, as a total newb with no gym membership, working out in my basement, the book has been a godsend:
    • Multiple exercises for each major muscle/muscle group
    • Full-color photos for each exercise
    • 3-level progression for most exercises (Example: Front squats: Level 1; 3lb dumbbells, 10 reps, 1-2 sets. Level 2; 5-8lb dumbbells, 12-15 reps, 1-2 sets. Level 3; 10-12lb dumbbells, 8-12 reps, 1-3 sets)
    • Has tips on common form errors and how to avoid them
    • Includes three sample full-body workouts and four weights-and-cardio interval workouts
    • Incorporates other moderately-priced equipment for some exercises. If you don't have it, you can select another exercise for that muscle that doesn't need it. (Besides a mat, my workout incorporates ankle weights, a stability ball, a cardio step, a medicine ball, and a resistance band.) Also body-weight work.
    • The main drawback is that once you 'top out' at level 3, she doesn't really give much guidance on how to progress beyond that and for most exercises, that's 10-12lbs. I've been gradually increasing the weights on my own as I feel up to it, but I kind of wish she'd given some info on the number of sets/reps.

I should probably mention also that, because I work out at home and don't have a reliable spotter, I'm not likely to start lifting heavy at any point in the foreseeable future. My main goal right now is to preserve as much muscle as I can, as I get down to a healthy weight. For my purposes and level, the book works great.

You might want to check out your library for other books on strength training before you decide whether to purchase one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    This would be a great, information-packed thread for you to read, and you can ask follow-up questions there as well:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have a "free" session at my gym and thought i'd use it to kickstart a weight training routine. Admittedly, I'm intimidated; but I know I need it. Maybe a trainer isn't the best place to start? Any apps/tips/suggestions on starting at a very basic level? Would love feedback and/or friends on here who know more about this foreign territory. :) thanks!

A trainer is a great place to start...the difficulty is finding a good trainer. I worked with three different trainers before landing the one I currently have. In my experience, trainers who are their own boss seem to be better than trainers who are employees of the gym. A lot of trainers who are on their own will rent space to serve their clients in a commercial gym.

It seems to me that the trainers who are on their own typically are more experienced while the gym employees seem to be relatively new to the profession and just don't have as much experience. There are exceptions I'm sure.
  • lifehastexture
    lifehastexture Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you, all. I really appreciate the help!