Swimming and lifting weight

Options
Hello is it possible to swim and gain muscle by lifting weight s

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes of course. Why do you think it's not possible?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I swim a lot. 4 miles a day on weekdays before work.
    I don't hit the weights as much as I would like. But I do try to do a combination of working non swimming groups more as well as building more strength in upper body swim focused muscles like dumbbell pull overs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Suggest you do your lifting on dry land. :wink:

I lift and ride a bike (not at the precisely the same time!)
    Others lift and run, lift and dance, lift and row, lift and play a variety of sports etc. etc. etc.

Try to explain what you are thinking is the problem with doing both lifting and swimming.....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's like combining any other cardio and strength training, just be aware of recovery times after hard strength sessions (ie don't do shoulders and swim 5 miles freestyle the same day....)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty tough combo because they both can be very taxing on the body more than others. The programming has to eyed very closely as fatigue can sneak in.

I question, what are your goals with swimming?

Are you primarily focused on hypertrophy with weights training?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Yes.
    I swim a lot. 4 miles a day on weekdays before work.
    I don't hit the weights as much as I would like. But I do try to do a combination of working non swimming groups more as well as building more strength in upper body swim focused muscles like dumbbell pull overs.

Sorry - slightly off topic but I had to ask - you swim 4 miles a day?! 256 lengths of a 25m pool?! Gosh how long does that take you?
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I do a strength training "lifting weights" workout one day, then swim the next. I alternate so I have the day of weight lifting rest every 2nd. I have very bad knees so swimming is an excellent choice if you have a lower body injury. My husband decided to start swimming with me last week and was very surprised at how much of a workout it was. Take a snack as Im usually ravenous as soon as I get out of the pool!
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    It is possible and if you are swimming it is a good idea to also do some sort of weight training. Almost every USA swimming & US Masters swimming program incorporates strength training into their programs. When I was younger we did stretching, but seldom weight training. As a result I injured myself doing other sports because my joints were not strong enough. Now research has found that adding weight training, plyometric, meditation, yoga, Pilates, running, rowing, etc. can improve swimming performance.
    From my own experience and talking to other swimmers in my Masters club, I would recommend doing your weight training before swimming, for me my swim times don't suffer when I do this, but my weights, reps, form suffer when I swim before I lift. I also swim 3-4 miles a session, which is not a novice workout.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I also swim 3-4 miles a session, which is not a novice workout.

I bow down and worship. 2.5km is enough for me in one session!