Homeostasis weight

Options
Is the myth true that your body will strive to maintain a certain weight? Been exercising and dieting for over a month now, but I am still the same weight as when I started. Can someone debunk this myth for me?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It's a myth.

How have you been calculating your intake and needs?
  • alexmose2017
    alexmose2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • alexmose2017
    alexmose2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am not overweight, but I wouldn't mind shaving off 5 more pounds.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    No, people just have norms and habits so they always tend to gravitate back towards their comfort zone. Does "dieting" include weighing and measuring your food and accurately tracking everything that goes into your mouth? If not, start there. Also, many people vastly overestimate the amount of calories they use during exercise, especially if they track things like "housecleaning." Stick with a plan and accurately track, and you will see progress!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I listened to a podcast once by, IIRC, Stephan Guyenet. He made the point that there is a certain body fat percentage that your body tries to maintain. If you get too far on either side of that, your body will be less or more likely to store fat, in attempt to get back to what is essentially a healthy BF level.

That's certainly not the same thing as set point theory, at least not the way it's typically talked about in dieting circles, but it is related. Ultimately, habits and behaviors dictate if you lose/gain/maintain.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I listened to a podcast once by, IIRC, Stephan Guyenet. He made the point that there is a certain body fat percentage that your body tries to maintain. If you get too far on either side of that, your body will be less or more likely to store fat, in attempt to get back to what is essentially a healthy BF level.

That's certainly not the same thing as set point theory, at least not the way it's typically talked about in dieting circles, but it is related. Ultimately, habits and behaviors dictate if you lose/gain/maintain.

This is true and why bodybuilders have such a restrictive diet and regimen prior to their performance weight. It is extremely difficult to maintain your body fat % below 10%. Your body wants to keep a reserve of energy on hand at all times.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    That would sure be nice since I was about 100 pounds lighter for most of my adult life. I'll just eat these brownies and be back at my set point in no time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Homeostasis or Set Points are complete bunk.

Your weight is an output of behavior. Look to your logging and ensure you are accurately counting calories and ensure your intake is less than your caloric output.

Set point was a misapplication of what happens when you create a specific brain abnormality in rats. Now they are trying to talk about "settling points" instead. Bad science never dies, unfortunately.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options

Pretty much the case. The body has certain, limited, mechanisms that it can employ to reduce caloric expenditures and this shows up as adaptive thermogenesis, but the main strategy is to increase intake through the hunger response and behaviours driven by that. The way it's often portrayed you would think the body has some amazing abilities to just shutdown metabolism anytime it feels like it, which it can't if it wants to remain viable.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

This is true and why bodybuilders have such a restrictive diet and regimen prior to their performance weight. It is extremely difficult to maintain your body fat % below 10%. Your body wants to keep a reserve of energy on hand at all times.

I feel like that part of it is pretty obvious. Would you agree that the reverse also applies? That if excess fat is present, the body will adjust and one would be more "prone" to weight loss, as the body tries to get lighter/leaner?

There's some terrible terminology in there... sorry. Hopefully you know what I'm trying to get at.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    How about this - it's complicated. It's certainly not as simple as CI=CO. Here's a juried journal article reviewing the research on the topic.

Set points, settling points and some alternative models: theoretical options to understand how genes and environments combine to regulate body adiposity

Did you actually read the linked article? It is not a discussion on whether or not the 'set point' exists but a discussion on how none of the current models can explain the obesity issues that are present in current society.

And - it did not discuss CICO and did nothing to try and dispute CICO.

Yes. It discussed "set points," "settling points" and other theories and what the research has shown for the past several years.

Uhm. . .you DO know what a set point and a settling point ARE, right???????

Yes it did and yes I do... the whole point of the paper was to put forth the conclusion that none of the theories or descriptions that exist are adequate to describe human behavior/human physiology as to why why people keep eating until they get fat. It had nothing to do with calorie intake or CICO.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't "try". Rather, your habits and lifestyle tend. That's why the freshman 15 happens. The habits and lifestyle changed and the freshman didn't have knowledge to make adjustments. That's why the middle-aged spread happens. It's the same thing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    How about this - it's complicated. It's certainly not as simple as CI=CO. Here's a juried journal article reviewing the research on the topic.

Set points, settling points and some alternative models: theoretical options to understand how genes and environments combine to regulate body adiposity

Did you actually read the linked article? It is not a discussion on whether or not the 'set point' exists but a discussion on how none of the current models can explain the obesity issues that are present in current society.

And - it did not discuss CICO and did nothing to try and dispute CICO.

Uhm. . .I really was puzzled by this.

I mean the first two sentences of the abstract say "The close correspondence between energy intake and expenditure over prolonged time periods, coupled with an apparent protection of the level of body adiposity in the face of perturbations of energy balance, has led to the idea that body fatness is regulated via mechanisms that control intake and energy expenditure. Two models have dominated the discussion of how this regulation might take place."

Sooo they say from the start in the abstract that they're going to discuss what mechanisms control intake and energy expenditure. (Note intake = CI. Expenditure = CO.)

Then I thought, maybe you got bogged down in the article because you aren't really aware of the two main theories of why people have a hard time losing weight and keeping it off?

Set Point theory - everyone has a pre-determined weight range their body wants to maintain and their body will fight very hard to maintain that weight range. When you go below your body's set point, your metabolism, appetite and basic drives will adjust to get you back to that weight range.

Settling Point theory - People cannot maintain weight loss because they have a "settling point". The "settling point" is a pattern of diet and physical activity that is determined by genetic disposition, environmental cues, and learned behavior. So again, it's far more complicated than saying "eat less." That model doesn't work and will not work, as per settling point theory, because you still haven't accounted for the person's genetic predisposition (there's been several studies on the descendants of survivors of famines that have found some really interesting things about how that event shapes the weight and height of the descendants), what's going on in their environment, and how they learned to eat and be active.

Then I thought, maybe you go lost in the weeds of the writing? I'm not going to summarize the whole thing out for you in simple English. I'm sorry, I'm just not.

Yes, but as he mentioned it never once contradicted CICO, it merely talked about mechanisms that regulate the balance between the two. That's not at all what you said when you said it's more complicated than CI=CO, this paper just discusses how CICO could be regulated.