Not losing weight with a calorie deficit?

Options
Hello everyone
I'm pretty frustrated right now, and hope someone might have some insight or tips on how to deal with this.
I've been eating with a 1000 calorie deficit for about a month now. I've lost some weight initially, but my weight has actually been going up instead of down for the last week. I weigh all my food and log it, and I use Fitbit to track my steps and calories burned. Even if some of the math was slightly off in either app, I should still be losing some weight, even if slower than expected. Also I don't eat too much salt or carbs, and I drink a lot of water and green tea everyday (at least 64 oz, but if I do a lot of cardio I can drink more than a 100), so I don't think that's the problem. Has anyone here been through a similar experience?
Thank you very much for your time and have a nice day
Chris

Replies

• chrisosemrik
    chrisosemrik Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    john1797 wrote: »
    Have you calculated your Basal metabolic rate? This is the amount of calories your body needs if you were to stay in bed all day. From there, you need to calculate your resting metabolic rate- which is your BMR multiplied by an activity factor. To lose weight you'll need to eat between your BMR and your RMR.

If you are losing weight too quickly, you can actually slow your basal metabolic rate. I don't know if that's the case in your situation.

How many pounds are you talking when you say its been going up? Your weight will fluctuate a bit. Could be water retention.

I am a Nutrition student. I have read many articles about the most effective ways to lose weight. One article recommended dieting for two weeks, then taking two weeks off. Or varying your calorie allotment each week- think the Curves diet.

Unfortunately when you lose weight too quickly you slow your metabolism down.

Thank you your reply :).
    I have started at 132lbs, then went down to about 128.6 lbs in the first three weeks. After that my weight has been going up and down between 130.8 and 132lbs. For reference, I am 5`2".
    I keep adjusting my calorie intake every time my weight changes, so I'm fairly confident it's correct, or as correct as I can make it at least. The lowest I went was a bit over 1200 calories on a day that I wasn't active, so I do not think I'm undereating. Usually I consume somewhere around 1500-1800 calories. I also make sure to only eat nutrient dense food, nothing processed and lots of protein. I have heard that weigh loss plateaus exist, but I'm really confused as to what causes them, or if I'm doing something wrong.
  • chrisosemrik
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Do you have MFP set to lose 2 lbs/WK. Is that where you're getting that you have a 1000 calorie decifit?

I'm guessing at your stats that you don't actually have enough to cut 1000 calories.

What's your TDEE?

I do have it set to that, yes, plus I use Fitbit to get a better picture of how much I burn during a day. I usually burn between 2500-2800 calories a day, and eat according to that. Even if the math was off and I only burned let's say 2000-2200 calories, I would still have enough of a deficit to lose something, even if very slowly, instead of gaining. And also, I already looked into it, and I'm not gaining muscle either, my body composition is basically the same.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Have you calculated your Basal metabolic rate? This is the amount of calories your body needs if you were to stay in bed all day. From there, you need to calculate your resting metabolic rate- which is your BMR multiplied by an activity factor. To lose weight you'll need to eat between your BMR and your RMR.

If you are losing weight too quickly, you can actually slow your basal metabolic rate. I don't know if that's the case in your situation.

How many pounds are you talking when you say its been going up? Your weight will fluctuate a bit. Could be water retention.

I am a Nutrition student. I have read many articles about the most effective ways to lose weight. One article recommended dieting for two weeks, then taking two weeks off. Or varying your calorie allotment each week- think the Curves diet.

I have started at 132lbs, then went down to about 128.6 lbs in the first three weeks. After that my weight has been going up and down between 130.8 and 132lbs. For reference, I am 5`2".
    I keep adjusting my calorie intake every time my weight changes, so I'm fairly confident it's correct, or as correct as I can make it at least. The lowest I went was a bit over 1200 calories on a day that I wasn't active, so I do not think I'm undereating. Usually I consume somewhere around 1500-1800 calories. I also make sure to only eat nutrient dense food, nothing processed and lots of protein. I have heard that weigh loss plateaus exist, but I'm really confused as to what causes them, or if I'm doing something wrong.

You mention a lot of different figures for your calorie target (1200, 1500-1800). What is the target MFP set you?

Can you make your diary public? That will help us spot quirks and bugs.

You say you went from 132 to 128.6 in the first three weeks. That’s a loss of over 3lb which is nice and reasonable loss. It’s entirely possible that this weeks gain is actually a loss which is masked by hormonal water weight issues. Assuming you have a reasonable target and good recording (see above) then I’d say wait it out. One weeks gain is nothing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to lose weight week to week...some weeks will be smaller losses, some will be bigger losses, there will be no losses and their will be gains on the scale. Body weight fluctuates naturally and can mask fat loss on the scale. This is more pronounced with women given monthly cycles and hormone changes that come with that.
  • chrisosemrik
    Options

You mention a lot of different figures for your calorie target (1200, 1500-1800). What is the target MFP set you?

Can you make your diary public? That will help us spot quirks and bugs.

You say you went from 132 to 128.6 in the first three weeks. That’s a loss of over 3lb which is nice and reasonable loss. It’s entirely possible that this weeks gain is actually a loss which is masked by hormonal water weight issues. Assuming you have a reasonable target and good recording (see above) then I’d say wait it out. One weeks gain is nothing.

MFP set me at 1500 calories, mostly because it can't go lower than that unless I adjust it manually. Basically, on the days when I don't exercise, I eat between 1200-1500. On days that I do exercise a lot, I eat between 1500-1800, but tend to stay closer to 1500. I adjust this based on the Fitbit app and how much I exercise and feel that my body needs.
    I don't know how to make my diary public, but I can do efinitelt try. I should note though that some things I record in the Fitbit app when I'm in a hurry, so it might not be completely accurate. It night provide some information though at least.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can go to Settings > Diary Settings > Public if you want to make it so we can see your diary.

It's only been a week and I usually try not to worry about my weight not changing unless it goes on for more than 3 weeks. It's entirely possible that there's nothing wrong here and you just need to wait it out until the fluctuations fluctuate back down.

You might find this post interesting: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why/p1
  • chrisosemrik
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You aren't going to lose weight week to week...some weeks will be smaller losses, some will be bigger losses, there will be no losses and their will be gains on the scale. Body weight fluctuates naturally and can mask fat loss on the scale. This is more pronounced with women given monthly cycles and hormone changes that come with that.

You're probably right. I guess I just got really frustrated because I've been working hard at this, and seeing the scale number go in the opposite direction can be pretty discouraging. So I should just wait this out and see. Still, it's kind of confusing and definitely frustrating.
  • chrisosemrik
    Options
    You can go to Settings > Diary Settings > Public if you want to make it so we can see your diary.

It's only been a week and I usually try not to worry about my weight not changing unless it goes on for more than 3 weeks. It's entirely possible that there's nothing wrong here and you just need to wait it out until the fluctuations fluctuate back down.

You might find this post interesting: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why/p1

Thank you for the article, it helped me calm down a bit :). You're right, I'm just going to wait this out and keep trying my best, something has to happen eventually.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I couldn’t get into your diary but I think that’s my app rather than your settings.

Assuming that you're there or about with 1500 calories, don’t sweat it. You won’t be gaining (even in a coma you’d lose weight) so be confident you haven’t gained fat. Likely the water weight will come off in a big “whoosh” and give you a nice loss one day.

Come back to us if you’re still gaining after another 3 weeks or so.
  • chrisosemrik
    Options
    I couldn’t get into your diary but I think that’s my app rather than your settings.

Assuming that you're there or about with 1500 calories, don’t sweat it. You won’t be gaining (even in a coma you’d lose weight) so be confident you haven’t gained fat. Likely the water weight will come off in a big “whoosh” and give you a nice loss one day.

Thank you so much, it's amazing to get support from this community :). I really appreciate it. I will keep it up then, and hope for the best!
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts:

If you just started your exercise program within the past month, you could be retaining water. You also could be adding lean muscle, which would be a good thing. How are your pants/clothes fitting? If your pants are getting looser, you are making progress.

Are you eating your calories back? Maybe you are eating too many calories back.

Are you logging the little things? I initially wasn't logging the BBQ sauce on my chicken, fat free mayo in my tuna,2 cals for each cup of coffee, sprays of supposedly zero calorie butter spray. When I added all of these things up, I realized I was consuming approx. 100 calories a day more than I was logging.

What is your current weight, and what are you trying to get down to?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

When you are close to goal weight, 1/2 pound a week is good progress. That's sometimes difficult to see because water weight can fluctuate more than that from day to day.

Water weight - higher sodium, time of month, sore muscles. Even your bathroom "schedule" can mess with the scale.

I once had a "plateau" for 6 weeks. I was using measuring cups, not a digital food scale.

It's not the type of food you eat....it's the calorie count.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Thank you so much, it's amazing to get support from this community :). I really appreciate it. I will keep it up then, and hope for the best!

That seems like a great attitude! I hope you'll let us know how it goes for you.