Losing Pounds, Not Belly

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know the struggle op. I too want to get rid of my lower belly fat below my belly button. I started at 34 inches in Jan of last year and I'm down to 28.25 inches this month. It's slow but it comes off. I still have about 6 pounds to lose to get to a normal BMI. I'm praying half comes off from my belly and the other half from my hips. Hang in there. Keep maintaining your deficit. Patience and Perseverance are essential to your long-term success. Also, a measuring tape is your best friend for times like this. I measure myself bi-monthly or monthly. Unfortunately you can't measure every inch of your body, so the next best thing is seeing how your clothes fit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    I just read the book the Flat Belly Diet! and I think it has some good stuff in it. It's only been a couple days since I started applying the principles of the book and my stomach does seem to have shrunk a bit already. It's very simple. I would recommend reading the book. It basically says you need to eat a serving of monounsaturated fats at every meal and recommends keeping your calorie intake at or under 400 calories per meal at the same time. It also allows for a 400 calorie snack that also includes a serving of monounsaturated fats.

None of that will do anything to make your belly flatter.

Fat loss patterns are dictated by your genetics. For many people, the abdomen/belly is the last place it goes from and it can be very stubborn. All these silly fad diets can't alter your genetics or change the way humans lose fat.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It took 50 pounds for me to even start to notice it, 60 for me to actually feel smaller.

Progress pics and measurements are your go to.
  • JimmiRayCole
    JimmiRayCole Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    At first i didn't notice any changes in my belly...seems like all i see is belly...(insert sad face) but i started doing alot more sit ups and i'm now beginning to see a difference. Its taking a while but its getting there. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    At first i didn't notice any changes in my belly...seems like all i see is belly...(insert sad face) but i started doing alot more sit ups and i'm now beginning to see a difference. Its taking a while but its getting there. :)

sit ups mainly work your hip flexors and really doesnt do much for abs.fat is lost on a deficit. you cant spot reduce fat so if you are losing it in your stomach then that means your genetic makeup makes it easier to lose in that area.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Just so you have another testimony - I lose weight from my fingers, knees, face, shoulders first. I wish you could spot lose. Keep up the good work!! Trust the process, stay true to it... it'll catch up.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Stomach is the last thing to go typically, for some the thighs. Just keep plugging away. Use a tape measure, pictures, and calipers if you can.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i hear you! so many of us can relate.. you're not alone. just when i feel good about the weight loss.. i stare at my stomach and think..'am i really losing weight?" i did take a before picture which does help.. Anyway...just keep doing what you're doing.. ..your stomach fat will go away as you lose more. We just aren't done...that's all.
  • Rebecca9048
    Rebecca9048 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My belly is my big problem area and I’ve been so focused on it (and butt/thighs) that I was really discouraged the other day. Until I put on a particular shirt and noticed my shoulders and back had slimmed considerably. And my arms are showing muscle definition. I’m assuming seeing big results in my belly will be near the end of my journey.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm very apple shaped. It took 40 pounds to even see a difference. Meanwhile, at 57 pounds I've lost a total of 5 inches off my waist. That sounds like a lot, but that's five inches from allllllllllll around my waist, and when you start with a 53 inch waist it's not very noticeable unless I'm wearing slim fit tops instead of baggy ones and you knew me at my highest weight.
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As someone else has stated, the tape measure is a better tool to determine the changes in your body. However, more importantly than that is how do you feel? The scale can be a hangup so focus on how you feel. Just keep going it will all come together soon enough...