Calories or macros

Options
Hi all,
I know counting both calories and macros are important but what is MOST important to pay attention to. I think I know the answer, I just want to see how others are doing things...

Replies

• Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to calories first, macros second.

That said, I absolutely have less cravings when I hit my macros.

Curious to see what others will say.
  • jason58761
    jason58761 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I know counting both calories and macros are important but what is MOST important to pay attention to. I think I know the answer, I just want to see how others are doing things...

What are your goals?
    For just weight loss, calories first.
    If you have specific health needs or very, very specific body comp goals, then macros might become more important.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Counting macros IS counting calories. Macros, by definition, are the parts of food that have calories.

Counting calories is all that's needed for weight management and those calories can be counted just from the calories or from the macros.

Some find macros to be to complicated, especially at first.

For goals such as satiation and making sure you get at least enough fat and protein, counting macros will be more helpful.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Important for what? If you're talking about weight loss/gain, then calories. Macros can help with satiety, which can make it easier or harder to comfortably hit your calorie goal, but the calorie goal is what ultimately matters,
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Interesting thoughts.