Cholestrol

Options
Will cholestrol levels drop as weight comes off .

Replies

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Mine did. I had a physical in October 2017, and the doctor was ready to put me on meds. Dropped 30 lbs and got retested a couple weeks ago and everything was back to normal.

Exercise really helps drop cholesterol too. Weight loss and exercise will go a long way to reducing cholesterol.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thought I would share so that you can see what is possible. Last October, I weighed 222 lbs. When I retested in January, I weighed 189 lbs. Exercised regularly over the three months.

uviqtfsks529.png

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It's certainly possible, especially if you exercise regularly. I was on medication for my cholesterol and triglycerides for about 10 years. After I lost the first 50 pounds or so, my doctor took me off all medication and I haven't needed it since.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Probably. Mine went from:

January 2017: (I started losing weight December 30, 2016)
    Total: 154
    Triglycerides: 185
    HDL: 43
    LDL: 74

To

May 2017:
    Total: 139
    Triglycerides: 126
    HDL: 49
    LDL: 65

At this point I had only lost about 25-30 pounds and was not really exercising (I'm still not really consistent with my exercise, but I am getting more exercise now than I was a year ago). Maybe a walk at the mall once a week. I have always had a diet low in cholesterol, and these numbers are with a statin and a medication for triglycerides.

I will have my cholesterol checked again this next May or so, I've lost another 25-30 pounds since this last test was run. It's my hope that my med dosage will be reduced or I'll be taken off them entirely.