Confusion over ab exercises,

Options
When talking about the best exercises for weight lifting, most people will generally know what exercises are key/the best. Even if they don't know the best exercises, there are plenty of guides on google that will tell them. But with regards to the best ab exercises, there is so much different information and different opinions that it's hard to know what exercises to use. Some say crunches are bad for your back, some say you should do them. It seems like there just isn't a universally recognised plan/program for ab exercises.

I basically need ab exercises to work the Rectus Abdominus, Transversus Abdominis, Internal Obliques, External Obliques. But I have no equipment apart from dumbbells/barbell and weight plates. I don't have a bench or an exercise ball.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Heavy compound lifts will work your abs, but if you want to target them specifically I'm fond of my Ab roller: 8 bucks at Walmart, best 8 bucks I've spent on equipment. Or you can use a barbell as a roller. If you roll out sideways as well as straight, you can hit different muscle groups. Carrying a dumbbell or plate around in one hand is another good one.

• speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What's your goal? There will be some variation based upon the objective of the training- different sports place different demands on your core and abs.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I've found lifting to be great for sorting abs. Thank goodness no crunches are required because I've always hated them.
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This video from Dominik Sky shows off a number of ab exercises that will do the job
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like planks. It might not work everything (although side planks help accomplish that) but I've found them to be better for my back and neck than any other ab exercise. And lifting is great too, but I like to do something ab specific as well as lift on my non-cardio days.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    V-ups, Russian twists, mountain climbers, planks, windshield wipers, leg lifts will all make you abs burn
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Planks, side planks, side bends (with dumbbell or plate), farmer carries, and leg lifts are all among my favs.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    neogramps wrote: »
    This video from Dominik Sky shows off a number of ab exercises that will do the job

Nice exercises if you don't have a neck or back problem. But if you do, better switch to something else.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i like deadbugs, with the alternate arm-leg thing once i'm ready to add progression to them. my obliques and r.a. tend to be strong but it's difficult for me to get into the t.v.a. and a few rounds of deadbugging usually remind me about where that is.

eccentric pullups are remarkably effective at hitting abs too. at least, they were when i was doing them. after my first introduction to those, my abs had more doms that my shoulders did.