Did you have a slow start too?

Options
QueenK3115
QueenK3115 Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I feel like the first time I did this I was losing weight fast at first. I just finished my first week with a good diet and (for once) consistently working out. I only lost 0.8. I’m happy for the loss but part of me feels disappointed???

Did you start losing slow at the beginning? Last year I followed my calories to a T without working out and lost 7lbs somehow. Now that I’m going to the gym I’m losing less? Haha. Wondering if it could be water weight from my muscles?

Replies

• LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Most likely. New exercise routines will often mask actual weight loss because your muscles need recovery time. When I first started counting calories, that's all I was doing and my weight did drop quickly, or regularly each week. After 6 or so months, I started exercising and noticed how much it slowed down. Unfortunately, I let that discourage me and put the weigh back on. This time around I'm more educated and patient.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can reasonably compare the two events. There are way too many variables. Besides 1 week isn't especially relevant.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I'm ecstatic if I get a .8 loss in a week! Usually more in the .5/week range, if that. Starting working out I've historically put on weight for a few weeks (water weight, but weight none the less).

That, and one week?!? Waaaaaayyyyy to early to make any judgements with all the changes you've made!!
  • QueenK3115
    QueenK3115 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! It helped me a lot! I know it sounds silly, idk why it bothered me but it’s true. I’d rather see a loss than a gain. ;) Thank you for helping me understand haha
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I definitely had a slow start! Like many of us do, I started off a little too intense - I went on a break from all alcohol and restaurant food, which was a big thing for me because I'm a bar fly and was eating out easily 4 times a week at least. I made it six weeks and lost 12 lbs from my high of 208, but I couldn't keep it up. Over the next three months I maintained at 196, which was a bummer but also way better than gaining, as my doctor reminded me. Towards the end of that stretch my spouse and I addressed some mental health issues that were holding us back, and that helped me adjust my calories down. Since then I've lost 3-5 pounds a month without too much stress. So yeah, it's not uncommon to struggle at the beginning. Stick with it, do your best to appreciate any progress you do make, and you can totally do this. Good luck!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I understand that a new workout routine can cause you to retain some water weight. Your muscles hang on to the water to repair themselves. At least that's the theory that was explained to me. Oddly enough, you can counteract this by drinking more water. My weight loss started slow, but sped up by about Week #3.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I was in college i was 18 I came him for a weekend and my mother mentioned I was heavier, I swear I dropped almost 30 lbs in a month or so doing weight watchers and I lived in Philadelphia so I naturally walked everywhere already. Now at 33 it’s a much slower process. I will loose nothing for a week and then drop 1.5 then nothing for 2 weeks.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I sometimes don't see a loss in 2 or 3 weeks and then get a whoosh. With IBS I 've learned that as long as I am consistently in deficit scales WILL move .

Not everyone has massive drops to start with ,just keep at it and you ll get there .
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 days when I started before I lost a thing. Then it got going.