Chopped!

Options
spazztazztic
spazztazztic Posts: 39 Member
Sometimes i get stuck in a rut and wind up eating food thats not the best for me. Yeah, thats totally whats been happening recently and i did gain a few lbs since my last weigh in. I want to have fun and get creative in the kitchen.....how about a friendly competition? 4 ingredients, 1 meal/dish, people vote for whose idea they like best and winner of each week picks the next 4 ingredients. Who wants to play??

Replies

• Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Are herbs and spices free?
  • spazztazztic
    Options
    Kelkat405 wrote: »
    Are herbs and spices free?

Sure
  • spazztazztic
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Say what now?

Basically i want to have a chopped style thread where we can get creative and make new foods/share ideas of how to prepare food in a fresh exciting way. The tv show is kind of the inspiration. Maybe its crazy but it could be a lot of fun. For example if zucchini was one of the ingredients i might make a spiralized veggie dish but someone else may turn them into a fritter or breakfast muffin
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Let's do it, we need the ingredients!
  • spazztazztic
    Options
    INGREDIENTS - quinoa, carrots, broccoli, coconut milk
  • workmani
    workmani Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Chopped rules? Must include all ingredients but can use additional ingredients as needed? To make it more interesting you could include a serving calorie cap.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love Chopped so I'm in, I'm assuming we are doing it the same way as the show right? You can add as many additional ingredients as needed, we just have to incorporate those 4 ingredients you listed in some way, right?
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ughhh. it's diet day on chopped. lol.
    seriously the only thing that would be appetizing to me i think with this is like a bland school lunch tray. quinoa cooked in veggie or chicken broth in one section. steamed brocolli in another, and raw carrot sticks in another sprinkled with salt. and maybe a little Mrs. dash on the broccoli. with the coconut milk as a frosty lightly sweetened beverage.
  • spazztazztic
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »
    I love Chopped so I'm in, I'm assuming we are doing it the same way as the show right? You can add as many additional ingredients as needed, we just have to incorporate those 4 ingredients you listed in some way, right?

Yup thats correct
  • spazztazztic
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    INGREDIENTS - quinoa, carrots, broccoli, coconut milk

Its not difficult to throw things together and make "something". Trick is to make a delish dish with the ingredients :) how are you going to judge for example: quinoa, carrots, broccoli, coconut milk = burger.

In my head i was imagining more description like it was a recipe. Explain the method you would be using like i'd make the quinoa with vegetable stock then add shredded carrots and riced broccoli to it.....
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thai fish curry with quinoa cakes

quinoa cakes
    2 and 2/3 cups cooked quinoa.
    4 large eggs, beaten.
    1/2 teaspoon salt.
    1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper.
    2 Tablespoons chopped parsley.
    1/2 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
    1/3 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated.
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped.

firm white fish (chunks)
    carrots chopped
    broccoli chopped
    coconut milk

chicken stock
    lemongrass
    thai chilis
    thai basic
    thai red curry
    fish sauce

saute veggies, add fish and milk, stock, to simmer
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian burrito:

1 flour tortilla
    30 grams Gardein ground round (or other fake meat)
    1 tbsp salsa
    1 tbsp vegan sour cream
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    No. Chopped, you make recipes using the ingredients you are given. You also have a pantry and refrigerator of stuff at your disposal. If that isn't the way the show works, I retract everything I said.
  • spazztazztic
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    No. Chopped, you make recipes using the ingredients you are given. You also have a pantry and refrigerator of stuff at your disposal. If that isn't the way the show works, I retract everything I said.

Yeah, you definitely have access to ingredients beyond the basket 100% i liked your idea a lot - for me its definitely outside my comfort zone but im curious (exactly what i was hoping to get from this!!) I appreciate that you included the exact recipe for your quinoa cakes - i may just have to try them sometime :smile:

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Where's the protein? I can't play in this. I will lose my gains.
  • spazztazztic
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    ughhh. it's diet day on chopped. lol.
    seriously the only thing that would be appetizing to me i think with this is like a bland school lunch tray. quinoa cooked in veggie or chicken broth in one section. steamed brocolli in another, and raw carrot sticks in another sprinkled with salt. and maybe a little Mrs. dash on the broccoli. with the coconut milk as a frosty lightly sweetened beverage.

Your comment about school lunch actually got my gears turning and i wound up doing this chopped challenge for dinner - i made *broccoli*, *carrot* and cheese *quinoa* bites and i'm having chai made with *coconut* milk for dessert. I cooked some quinoa, combined that with a bag of riced broccoli i had on hand then (finely) grated a medium sized carrot in there. Put in 3 eggs and a generous handful of shredded cheese then bake in mini muffin tins.
  • ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    now i want to make this challenge for dinner... broccoli, carrots, and sea bass in a green curry with quinoa instead of rice.
  • spazztazztic
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Add your protein of choice and lets see what you got ;)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Add your protein of choice and lets see what you got ;)

Bleh. I'll stick to my cheeseburger salads this week. You enjoy the rabbit food. JKJKJK.
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    How is this:

Ingredients:
    250gr Button Mushrooms (chopped, but not because this thread is called chopped, but because they are actually chopped) (54 calories)
    2 Tbsp Sour Cream (62 Calories)
    1 clove Garlic (chopped)
    1 - Toasted bread (perhaps some french bread cut in half)
    Herbs of your choice - Try some of the following (Smoked Paprika, Chilli flakes, Italian herbs, mixed herbs, Parsley+Rosemary+Thyme... the world is your oyster)

Directions:
    Warm up a non-stick fry pan. (I dont use butter, it works fine without it)
    Chop the garlic into small pieces
    Chop the button mushrooms if they havent already been chopped and put them in the fry pan until they reduce in size a bit.
    Add two tablespoons of sour cream and mix it through gently until the sour cream turns brown.

In hind sight I should have told you to toast your bread before this, but go ahead and do it now... completely your choice of bread...

Donts: Dont overcook the mushrooms or they get too small and wont be filling. Dont use garlic from a jar, that stuff tastes nasty... fresh garlic for the win.

Enjoy