January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Thank you!

@mustb60 Are you doing SL 5x5 and a running plan? How is that going? Hubby is getting more serious about his weight loss and fitness, and I know he'll really want to get into lifting more. I wouldn't mind more lifting, but I have running goals, too, ya know?

@rusgolden Hal Higdon's plans have yet to steer me wrong. I've done the Novice 10k, Novice 1 HM, and now the Intermediate 10k.

One more run for Jan for me. Supposed to be a 50 minute tempo run, which I'm typically very bad at in the early AM, but I'm just gonna give it a whirl. Hoping for some supermoon action (that's tomorrow AM, right??).

• kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    My new goal for Feb is to attempt to do a better job at staying on top of the running group thread... that is going to be a lofty goal!! This month I have only had a chance to check in a few times and here I am now, selfishly looking for some advice...

I am currently in week 7 of the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 of his marathon training plan. Our church has also decided to start up a running group/club whatever you want to call it with group runs on Sunday mornings at 7. Sundays have also been my long-run day. I am training for my 1st full marathon in mid-April and don't want to jeopardize that, but I also would like to participate in the group runs. I was thinking about then doing my long run on Sat and use the group run as more of a recovery run... what say ye? If that sounds good, then trying to figure out how I should handle the rest of the week. Currently Mon and Fri are non-run days, Tues and Thurs are shorter 3-5 mile runs, Wed and Sat are 5-8 mile runs, and Sun 9-20 mile runs. If I am using Sun as recovery run day, would it be acceptable to make Thur a non-run day and move my weekend runs to Fri-Sat?

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

May view is you can keep your current off days and run your long run on Sat and the shorter run you normally would have on Sat and run those miles on Sunday with the group. And depending on the runners, you might find others need a long run on a Sunday and you can flop that week to run short on Sat and long on Sunday as schedules and weather change. I do this with a Sat running group and leave my weekend running flexible as I can have it.
  • JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Jan 3 - biked at gym 9 miles
    Jan 6 - biked at gym 7.6 miles
    Jan 9 - 4 mile run
    Jan 10 - strength workout
    Jan 11 - 2 mile treadmill run
    Jan 14 - Samson Stomp 5K Race
    Jan 16 - 2 mile treadmill run & strength workout
    Jan 18 - 3 mile treadmill run
    Jan 20 - 3.1 mile run
    Jan 21 - Cabin Fever 5k
    Jan 23 - 2 mile treadmill run
    Jan 25 - 2 mile treadmill run
    Jan 28 - 4.1 mile run
    Jan 29 - strength workout
    Jan 30 - 2.65 mile run

Run total 31.15 miles
    January goal 35 miles
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen -- thank you. I had thought about that but wasn't sure how I would feel on Sunday after a long run on Sat. I'm at the point where my long runs are going to be distance PRs for me. I guess I can experiment this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for your input!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Thank you!

@mustb60 Are you doing SL 5x5 and a running plan? How is that going? Hubby is getting more serious about his weight loss and fitness, and I know he'll really want to get into lifting more. I wouldn't mind more lifting, but I have running goals, too, ya know?

@rusgolden Hal Higdon's plans have yet to steer me wrong. I've done the Novice 10k, Novice 1 HM, and now the Intermediate 10k.

One more run for Jan for me. Supposed to be a 50 minute tempo run, which I'm typically very bad at in the early AM, but I'm just gonna give it a whirl. Hoping for some supermoon action (that's tomorrow AM, right??).

Yes, I am doing both. Initially it was very tiring but then I tweaked the plan and it's well settled now. On lifts I progress slowly, instead of increasing load in every session I lift same weight for three sessions then go up. I run short distance on lift days and long runs the next day. Even take unplanned rest day if my body demands it, to avoid injuries. Gradually body adjusts to the work outs.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden I agree with @kevaasen to leave your weekend running plans as flexible as possible. Until the Church Running group settles into some type of rhythm-routine you need to be able to adjust on the go. That is actually one of the biggest lesson's I have picked up from the 6 HM's I have completed and associated Training plans. Small adjustments to fit your work-life balance will not de-rail the plan. Also I am a firm believer in having a few extra weeks in the plan to allow for Life Happens or Mini Injuries. Then as you get close to the final 3-4 weeks - before the Taper - just recycle a previous period with a slightly shorter distance to act as a mini cutback/healing week before you get into the taper.

On the road traveling for work all day and Adult Swim Club tonight so no run today.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden I switch my long runs between Saturday and Sunday all the time. My schedule and the weather dictate which day I do it. Normally my long run is Saturday but this weekend I want to replace my water heater Saturday so I'll do the long run Sunday. The rest of my week doesn't change regardless of what happens to my weekend. The thing you want to avoid is to put two hard runs (speed work, hill repeats, long runs) back to back.

@garygse amazing comeback! I love seeing it.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Today's run consisted of a five-mile warm up before meeting up with the group and pushing out another five miles. The group seems to be dwindling in size, with people either out sick, injured, or moving away from the state, so it'll be nice when there's more people again. Once the group run was over, I did one final lap around the area to take my run over eleven miles.

The shin is still pain-free. :smile:

I think tomorrow morning, I'll forego the long walk and do a "supermoon" slow run instead, to allow me to introduce more running days back to my schedule.

Yay!!