Anyone over 60?

Options
Hello all. I am new to MFP. Started 1/2/2018. I have dropped 10 pounds already. I’m feeling so motivated and enthusiastic. I let my bad eating habits get out of control and allowed myself to gain a lot of weight. At 61 I am changing my lifestyle to healthier eating habits, fewer calories, and I will be adding a bit of excercise soon. I’m taking baby steps so that I don’t become overwhelmed or find myself dreading to work at this lifestyle change. I’ve always been able to lose weight when I ate correctly but I just let myself go. I have set my first goal weight at 160. That will be a loss of 66 pounds. I’m down 10 pounds, 56 more to go. I’m thinking it will take a year. Anyone else over the age of 60 out there? Any words of wisdom and advice from anyone that’s made this lifestyle change?

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    JLM....your history resonates with me but I seriously started about the middle of november 2017. I have about 48 lbs left and it will take as long as it takes. I too am 60 approaching 61. The system works as long as you are true to logging. Bites count too! Nothing is off limits but just how important is it to you to take it out of your account?? I see my calorie account no different than a bank account. I am now in my obsessive compulsive stage and weigh in once a week on saturday morning ONLY!
    I have no real reason other than wanting it for health and vanity. My husband and I have a river cruise planned for october thru france. From what I have read the French are not too kind to fat tourists so I want to avoid any indignities on that front! I can give you advice but so can many others young and old! :)
  • timhoffg
    timhoffg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Consistency in logging intake is my biggest goal, then the rest sorts itself out, as I start paying closer attention to my statistics, then I start to try to make it correct.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,242 Member
    Options
    There are lots of us. I'm 62, lost 50+ pounds in a little less than a year (obese to 120s, at 5'5"), and have maintained a healthy weight for 2 years since, so far.

I'm an opinionated li'l ol' lady ( ;) ), so just full of advice, all of it probably worth about its market price (free) . Some recent advice for people just starting is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Welcome, and best wishes!
  • yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 in a few weeks. I've lost 50 lbs+ in the last two years and looking to lose another 20 or so. My advice is to break down your ultimate goal into small, attainable chunks and be pleased with yourself when you achieve them. Exercise helps and a little of what you fancy in terms of snacks, built into your programme, staves off cravings. Finally, a bad day here and there is not a disaster. Good luck!
  • Lunnunis
    Lunnunis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many are over 60. The over 50s board is just crazy, I don't even try to go on that as there are so many posters. I'm 61 and been using MFP for several years now. It helped me lose a fair bit to start with, 50 lbs, and although I have regained some I have never got back up to my old weight. I need to lose about 20-25 lbs now.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I began losing at age 64 - dropped 50 lbs using MFP and a Fitbit. Highest weight was 179, current weight 128 (5'2.5"). Now at age 68 I've been in maintenance close to 3 years. There's lots of us oldies around. Welcome!

Edited to add: Hey, just noticed you're in JAX; I'm in Boca. Fla girls!
  • jloehman
    jloehman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Excited to read these replies. Y’all are all so inspiring. Great comments about weight loss, healthy habits, feeling fit, and even a fun sounding river cruise. Keep commenting. Love to hear from y’all.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yep, quite a few of us. I am 76, a and working hard to lose 50 lbs while maintaining muscle and strength.
    Down 31.6 lbs so far on MFP but lost 8 lbs before finding this fine community. Lifestyle change is thee key, combined with a sensible calorie deficit.

Join in for the long run!
  • six1313
    six1313 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and started using MFP last November. I started my journey to a healthier me last June when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and have lost 60 lbs so far, my end goal weight is 150 lbs. My next shorttime goal weight is 175 lbs which I hope to accomplish by June 2018. I purchased a Fitbit last June and set a daily walking routine of 1 mile a day, I am now up to 4 miles a day and walk 1 1/2 hours a day, more when I can afford the time. Also, I began recording what I ate in the food log that the Fitbit app came with. I was floored when I saw how badly I had been eating. Not just in calories, but in nutrients. I changed from grabbing food on the way home (easier because I live alone) to cooking my meals using fresh ingredients. My snacks, if I snack, are fresh fruit and/or veggies which I have on hand all the time now. I switched from Fitbit food diary to the MFP food diary at my son's suggestion since I can enter my recipes and it figures the calories and nutrients. I do like the MFP app over the Fitbit app. I also weigh in every day. It helps me stay motivated to see my goal weight and keeps me aware that I am the only one who can make sure that happens.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    six1313 wrote: »
    I'm 63 and started using MFP last November. I started my journey to a healthier me last June when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and have lost 60 lbs so far, my end goal weight is 150 lbs. My next shorttime goal weight is 175 lbs which I hope to accomplish by June 2018. I purchased a Fitbit last June and set a daily walking routine of 1 mile a day, I am now up to 4 miles a day and walk 1 1/2 hours a day, more when I can afford the time. Also, I began recording what I ate in the food log that the Fitbit app came with. I was floored when I saw how badly I had been eating. Not just in calories, but in nutrients. I changed from grabbing food on the way home (easier because I live alone) to cooking my meals using fresh ingredients. My snacks, if I snack, are fresh fruit and/or veggies which I have on hand all the time now. I switched from Fitbit food diary to the MFP food diary at my son's suggestion since I can enter my recipes and it figures the calories and nutrients. I do like the MFP app over the Fitbit app. I also weigh in every day. It helps me stay motivated to see my goal weight and keeps me aware that I am the only one who can make sure that happens.

Six1313......your timelines and weight goal is very similiar to mine! I am obsessive with logging and really trying just to meet those macro goals. I too had to stop that pick up food on the way home and just make my weekend grocery store trips for recipes and easy meals.
    Really interested in seeing if my labs have changed with this change of how I look at food now!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and lost 89 pounds on MFP (and a few more prior to joining). I've been maintaining for about 6 months or so. Would like to drop 10 more but content if it doesn't happen. Isn't it amazing to finally lose the weight at this age?
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention -- here's a link to a thread that's been running for a couple of years now for the over 55 group. Feel free to join in and comment - it's not just for those who have had success but a support thread for us oldies. Check it out:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10047153/55-65-year-old-womens-success#latest
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    jloehman wrote: »
    Hello all. I am new to MFP. Started 1/2/2018. I have dropped 10 pounds already. I’m feeling so motivated and enthusiastic. I let my bad eating habits get out of control and allowed myself to gain a lot of weight. At 61 I am changing my lifestyle to healthier eating habits, fewer calories, and I will be adding a bit of excercise soon. I’m taking baby steps so that I don’t become overwhelmed or find myself dreading to work at this lifestyle change. I’ve always been able to lose weight when I ate correctly but I just let myself go. I have set my first goal weight at 160. That will be a loss of 66 pounds. I’m down 10 pounds, 56 more to go. I’m thinking it will take a year. Anyone else over the age of 60 out there? Any words of wisdom and advice from anyone that’s made this lifestyle change?

Sounds like you are doing really great, long may it continue
  • Imatrekkie
    Imatrekkie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'll be 62 next week. I certainly would love any friend requests from folks in my own age range!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I started 4 years ago at 59 @300 lbs barely able to walk 1/4 mile, lost 150, and now maintaining for 20 months. I’m now in the best fitness shape of my life, able to hike all day and training for a triathlon sprint relay. My advice is draw on your life experience and perseverance to get you through the hard times. At this age, we know there are no quick fixes. My other advice is to begin strength training today. You will not regret it!