From 1 to 10, how motivated are you TODAY?

Options
I thought it would be interesting to know how motivated you are feeling today and why...since it fluctuates a lot as we all know.

Maybe those who are feeling highly motivated can act as a motivational booster for those who are less motivated today.

On a scale from 1-10, im on 9 at the moment. Maybe because i recently started this journey, idk...but i’m very motivated to accomplish my health goal!!! I wouldn't say 10 because we all know how tiring meal preps can be, or because sometimes we all want to have a deli dessert, or drink more than just one glass of wine every now and then.

However, then i think about how many times i’ve done this in the past and failed while at the same time i look at myself in the mirror and see that there’s a lot of room for improvement, so i DECIDED TO QUIT QUITTING by making this a LIFESTYLE, not just a short term diet. Im taking it easy, trying to lose slowly but healthy, and experimenting with new recipes so i feel i can still eat a variety of delicious, non-boring, healthy food!

What’s your motivation level today?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Motivation is pretty irrelevant. I just focus on building and maintaining routines to make eating well and moving more, easier and more pleasureable. Everything became easier and more pleasureable when I stopped adding on unnecessary rules and gimmicks.

Agreed. It also helps not to restrict too much.

For example, I always have a mid/late evening dessert. What I have depends on what fits within my calories that day, but there's always something. :)

I also made a point of going to several different grocery stores and markets to find all the foods that would fit within my calorie limit and would still be delicious. After all, if all of this is going to become habit, it's got to feel normal and be relatively easy.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    LOW !!! ..... I am a 3-4

Didnt help being ill in the night so lacking sleep ... that said I did improve my lifts this morning so still gaining even on a deficit.

I have no issue staying within my calorie goal today .. BUT .. I was trying to undercut by a couple of hundred calories as I have a big day planned on Friday so trying to hit my weekly average .... unfortunately the tiredness and hard gym workout means I am already 400kcal up on where I wanted to be ... so looks like I am going to miss my goal of under eating
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    My motivation today is a 5. Saturday through Monday I was at a 7 or 8, but yesterday was a bit discouraging. :/
  • andiiknapp
    andiiknapp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For those who think motivation is irrelevant, i do not agree at all (different opinions). Everything we do in life is because u r motivated to do it (either we have to or we want to). If not, there is no reason for it. That’s a difference between, for example, people with depression and people with no depression. Severe depression leads to not doing things in the long run, even when we have to do them (work for example), there is no motivation for anything (this is just an example out of many). So yeah motivation for me is a must in everything we do in life. Yes, this lifestyle has to be a habit, but that doesnt mean we are motivated (or not) to do that habit. Habit and motivation are completely different things. Let’s think of bad habits such as smoking... motivation to smoke? A response to stress, or relaxing, or whatever, and unless u are motivated to quit that habit, u r not quitting it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    andiiknapp wrote: »
    For those who think motivation is irrelevant, i do not agree at all (different opinions). Everything we do in life is because u r motivated to do it (either we have to or we want to). If not, there is no reason for it. That’s a difference between, for example, people with depression and people with no depression. Severe depression leads to not doing things in the long run, even when we have to do them (work for example), there is no motivation for anything (this is just an example out of many). So yeah motivation for me is a must in everything we do in life. Yes, this lifestyle has to be a habit, but that doesnt mean we are motivated (or not) to do that habit. Habit and motivation are completely different things. Let’s think of bad habits such as smoking... motivation to smoke? A response to stress, or relaxing, or whatever, and unless u are motivated to quit that habit, u r not quitting it.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your motivation to brush your teeth this morning?

Yes, habit and motivation are different things. Habit is what you'll do because it is habit ... it's what you do, motivated or not. It's habit to get up at a certain time and go to work ... whether I want to or not. My motivation for doing that might be a 2. But habit says, "This is what you have to do".

And habits aren't just bad. Habits can be good, bad or neutral. So when it comes to weight loss, start doing things regularly that will help the weight loss ... and they'll become habits. And you'll be able to keep doing them whether you feel motivated or not. It's my habit to eat certain foods at certain times. It's just what I do. And since I know that those certain foods at those certain times will fit within my calorie limit, I can set that aside and let habit take care of it, and I can focus on other things.

I also go for walks at lunch and after work. I've been doing it so long now, it feels really odd not to do that. Yesterday and today I've been extremely tired (university + work) ... but even though my motivation wasn't particularly high, I walked after work. It's what I do. It's habit.

Now you'll have to excuse me ... I have to go look at the moon. That's motivation, not habit. :)
  • Jasp03
    Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a 10 today, and have been since my commitment and start into this new lifestyle change.

My reason:
    I purchased an Apple Watch not too long ago and this watch has rings. It has a movement ring, a calorie burn ring and a standing ring. Why this motivates me so much is that growing up, I was always involved in sports and I have always been a big gamer. Both of those things have caused me to grow up in a very competitive mentality. When I wake up in the morning and look at those rings that are just barely open, it drives me crazy and the competitive part of me wants me to close my rings. If I find myself closing my rings fairly early in the day, then I keep increasing the goals that it takes for each ring to close.

I know that might sound pretty minor league to those that already have it second nature to get up and hit the gym without feeling 'forced' to, but it's working for me for the time being and my goal is that over time, I won't care what the rings show, I'll just want do it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My motivation has disappeared today. I started seeing some progress and was feeling great about it but then for the past couple weeks despite all of my efforts it went in reverse and then just stayed there. And I try to tell myself all of the things I usually tell others and be logical about it, it's just not working.

I mean, I can eat whatever I want and maintain just fine, what's the point of busting my *kitten* and eating rabbit food for the same results? Do I really need to lose 10 lbs? I already gave up half of the things that I enjoy eating, if I have to make even more changes and give up the other half I'm not so sure it's worth it.

And I can hardly put up with the gym anymore. It's so crowded and filled with annoyances. It's getting tough to justify squeezing it in my schedule most days, it's just becoming more of a pain in the *kitten* than it's worth.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's the first day of TOM, my motivation is low. However, I've been building habits and am determined to meet my goals. So I still got up at 3:45 a.m., and hit the gym for an hour and a half before work.
    andiiknapp wrote: »
    For those who think motivation is irrelevant, i do not agree at all (different opinions).

<snipped>

I would say motivation is fickle and fleeting. I do not rely on my motivation to get me anywhere. See my answer above. Determination and building habits that sustain you through the periods of zero/low motivation are key to reaching my goals.